Any Tesla radio installs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hoe...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Correct, it comes with an older ' copy ' of igo primo.
You can download USA state by state or the entire world if you desire and add them to igo.
I used my home wifi to download latest igo and maps from the play store.
After that, no internet connection is required, unless you want to use the live search function or get traffic info.
Maybe they have updated the GPS plug on the unit, as mine was the same colour blue as the OEM plug.
Works very well....

Remember these will run just about any app on the Play store, weather/nav/social media etc.

The built in music player is ok, but I'll be trying a few from the play store out...

The only harness parts I needed were the main plug and can bus adaptor and the am/FM radio antenna adaptor.
You can bet the linkswell units are exactly the same, maybe with an 'oem' GUI and some extra software.
Nothing you can't download and install yourself.

Are all OEM ram backup cameras in the mirror ? Are they analogue or can bus ?
As there were no analogue feeds into my uconnect, I assumed that the backup and cargo cameras were both canbus.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry for the ignorance, but is Carlauncher a separate app which changes the interface theme?
Yes, it's just a download from the Play Store. You have to set the level manager to prioritize this app over the stock gui and it will stay put, if that makes sense. This way when you boot, this is the first thing that launches.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Welll.... was able to get the temperature on the A/C controls to display correctly BUT that then causes my cluster to be in metric (celcius and kilometers). Still can't get my rear view camera to come back either.

Mudder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Linkswell posted a video on YouTube about changing the background image but it is very vague. So it’s possible by downloading an image on to a flash drive and then transferring that image to the radio hard drive. But the surrounding details of where and how exactly to do this aren’t mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b5rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Welll.... was able to get the temperature on the A/C controls to display correctly BUT that then causes my cluster to be in metric (celcius and kilometers). Still can't get my rear view camera to come back either.
bummer

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Pulled the unit today and reinstalled my stock 8.4Nav. Fighting with espony-cargo now for a refund, will be going to paypal next week if I have no resolve. The issues with my unit seem to be somewhat unique. I've spoken to others who have purchased from them and from other sources and they report some of the same issues and some report no issues. I may be planning to try purchasing from phoenix android as I really do like the unit.

Just to recap what my issues were at the time of pulling the unit;
Climate A/C shows degrees in 100+. So for example 175 degrees fahrenheit. I could fix this and get a proper read out of 75 degrees fahrenheit however then my cluster was in full metric readout. Celsius and kilometers. Furthermore I could get the CLimate A/C to read in celsius and then the cluster would read standard (fahrenheit and miles)

24hr clock in cluster. This seems to be a common issue. Honestly I can look past that. No big deal.

Reverse camera stopped functioning. I could pull it up manually and I could pull it up by switching into reverse before the unit fully booted but once it was fully booted I would get a "no signal" error for the reverse camera.

I've gone through every menu multiple times including matching it to working unit's settings with no luck. I've tried to follow all the steps given to me by their "engineers" but they are very basic and are not addressing whatever the actual issue is.

GMScreech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pulled the unit today and reinstalled my stock 8.4Nav. Fighting with espony-cargo now for a refund, will be going to paypal next week if I have no resolve. The issues with my unit seem to be somewhat unique. I've spoken to others who have purchased from them and from other sources and they report some of the same issues and some report no issues. I may be planning to try purchasing from phoenix android as I really do like the unit.

Climate A/C shows degrees in 100+. So for example 175 degrees fahrenheit. I could fix this and get a proper read out of 75 degrees fahrenheit however then my cluster was in full metric readout. Celsius and kilometers. Furthermore I could get the CLimate A/C to read in celsius and then the cluster would read standard (fahrenheit and miles)

24hr clock in cluster. This seems to be a common issue. Honestly I can look past that. No big deal.

Reverse camera stopped functioning. I could pull it up manually and I could pull it up by switching into reverse before the unit fully booted but once it was fully booted I would get a "no signal" error for the reverse camera.

I've gone through every menu multiple times including matching it to working unit's settings with no luck. I've tried to follow all the steps given to me by their "engineers" but they are very basic and are not addressing whatever the actual issue is.
That's a bummer, I just bought from them and my unit is on my way , I hope mine doesn't come with many issues, I'm not worried about the farenheit units because I use celsius, hope the camera works fine.

I have a friend who ordered from Phoenix and his device is arriving this week too, we will compare if there is any difference in terms of quality.

Hope you get a refund, let us know what happens

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
@GMScreech hopefully you'll be all set. The camera came about after it had worked, certainly could have been something I did in trying to get the other stuff to work but it's just very odd I can't get it to come back on even after resetting everything I could. The temp thing shouldn't be any issue for you just set it to metric and enjoy.

Let us know how it all goes!

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I'm sorry to hear it wasn't working out. I think this will be on a case by case situation.
I'm also removing this system and plan to send it back. I'm not experiencing the same issues, but there are a number of things that bug me enough to try something else.
For me, it comes down to the climate control. I miss my buttons/knobs too much. Perhaps it's due to where I live, but I'm constantly making adjustments and find the on-screen controls too inconvenient.
Also, the polarized screen. I know I could get other sunglasses, but I don't want to! Haha.
Third, if they give you enough guff, download Droid Hardware Info. Show them they sold you a unit with 1gb RAM and advertised it as 2 gb. That in itself is enough for PayPal to make the claim.2b77ed9370488f24935efbe7e5e8318c.jpg

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'm sorry to hear it wasn't working out. I think this will be on a case by case situation.
I'm also removing this system and plan to send it back. I'm not experiencing the same issues, but there are a number of things that bug me enough to try something else.
For me, it comes down to the climate control. I miss my buttons/knobs too much. Perhaps it's due to where I live, but I'm constantly making adjustments and find the on-screen controls too inconvenient.
Also, the polarized screen. I know I could get other sunglasses, but I don't want to! Haha.
Third, if they give you enough guff, download Droid Hardware Info. Show them they sold you a unit with 1gb RAM and advertised it as 2 gb. That in itself is enough for PayPal to make the claim.2b77ed9370488f24935efbe7e5e8318c.jpg

That seems to be the case for all units too regardless of description. In the XDA thread they said it should be easily upgradeable, but that's not what you paid for! That's a big difference!

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

duunoit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Third, if they give you enough guff, download Droid Hardware Info. Show them they sold you a unit with 1gb RAM and advertised it as 2 gb. That in itself is enough for PayPal to make the claim.

I don't understand why they think that no one will notice this with the tools that are out there...

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Third, if they give you enough guff, download Droid Hardware Info. Show them they sold you a unit with 1gb RAM and advertised it as 2 gb. That in itself is enough for PayPal to make the claim.

Interesting find! Let me know how it goes for you. Do you plan to go to them or straight to paypal for the claim? I'm giving them until Monday, - and considering it's already the weekend there I don't expect anything - then it's to PayPal.

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
I may be planning to try purchasing from phoenix android as I really do like the unit.

Which unit is that? The only thing I've seen there is the same unit talked about here

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Which unit is that? The only thing I've seen there is the same unit talked about here
The fault is not in the unit but in the programming that is done for the specific vehicle. More specifically I believe my issue with the temp is in the cambus unit, I think something was not programmed properly which is why the truck and the radio can't "talk together" and match up.

KCaudill

The RAM
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow im glad i waited to see what you guys thought of the units before i bought one. Sounds like its a good start but needs allot more work to make them solid. Only time will tell.

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting find! Let me know how it goes for you. Do you plan to go to them or straight to paypal for the claim? I'm giving them until Monday, - and considering it's already the weekend there I don't expect anything - then it's to PayPal.
Yeah, I only just sent them an email letting them know I'll be shipping it back. Same deal, I'll give them till Monday. If nothing back by that night, I'll contact Paypal.
I told them the unit has been pulled, ready to ship and sent them the same screen shot along with a list of other issues.

Mudder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ll be curious to see if the Phoenix units experience the same issues. I still like the setup, but it’s disappointing you guys didn’t get help to get things sorted out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
This unit is exactly what cars need in my opinion. If these were less locked down and open for development it could be a great product.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

precisionmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, so I went through 36 pages, excited...only to hear people are returning this unit. Has anyone kept it / happy with it? Also, will my stock parking sensors still work? Thanks in advance, Mike

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Wow, so I went through 36 pages, excited...only to hear people are returning this unit. Has anyone kept it / happy with it? Also, will my stock parking sensors still work? Thanks in advance, Mike
Many people are happy and using them. Yes you're parking sensors will work. The rear ones will even show on the unit when you shift onto reverse. Pretty cool feauture

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk