Anyone else have badly faded (black to grey) plastic trim..?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PatinAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What was it that you used?

I used the Forever Black Bumper & Trim Dye kit. I washed truck and prepped surface per the instructions and solution. I'll try another coat tomorrow. If that doesn't work, I'll try the shoe polish thing. If that doesn't work, I'm having them painted. We just finished up two straight months of 100+ degree weather here in Tucson. It's simply brutal on everything. I've been using Wolfgang/Colonite on the paint, but the fender flares are already fading. The bed rails and door handles weren't bad, mostly it was wax residue that was leaving some white stains.

Last edited:

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been using Lucas Speed Wax for years and never had any greying issues. I know it's not a heavy wax but it's so easy to use that I don't mind waxing after every wash. It only takes 10 to15 min. to do the whole vehicle. It's also made to cover everything, no residue. Theyalso have an interior cleaner and protectant and tire dressing that work really well.

PatinAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm happy with my sealant/wax combo. It's just the fading fender flares and this thread that prompted me to try the Forever Black. The flares weren't marred by any wax residue. They were fading, the leading edge turning light grey. This is only the trucks second summer in AZ heat.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used the Forever Black Bumper & Trim Dye kit. I washed truck and prepped surface per the instructions and solution. I'll try another coat tomorrow. If that doesn't work, I'll try the shoe polish thing. If that doesn't work, I'm having them painted. We just finished up two straight months of 100+ degree weather here in Tucson. It's simply brutal on everything. I've been using Wolfgang/Colonite on the paint, but the fender flares are already fading. The bed rails and door handles weren't bad, mostly it was wax residue that was leaving some white stains.

Well, like I said, I have had great success with this stuff. My old 07 was in bad shape, did the whole truck with this clear coat and it was good as new and was still good a year later when I sold it. You can buy black and then spray clear on them as well, I've never had to use the black though.

Just renewed these raptors I got off CL for 50 bucks. Plastic was in bad shape and metal had some rust. They were a mess. Used the clearcoat only again. Good as new now!

Attachments

• IMG_20170706_155719.jpg
    IMG_20170706_155719.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20170630_223119.jpg
    IMG_20170630_223119.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 29

PatinAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
UPDATE-a day later the streakiness is gone, yet it's clear there's areas that didn't take in as much dye as others. Will touch up with another coat and see how it goes.

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Here it is dry and in day light. The plastic almost looks brand new! :party36:

Something I did learn though, apply one thick coat and do not go back over it with a second coat it leaves some slight streaks. You have to look closely to see them, but I know that is where I went wrong...

I am so happy with how this stuff performed! Next, I am going to go over ALL my plastic trim with this stuff.
Looks great, I’m going to try that stuff. Back to Black was not a good product!