anyone found 6 ply 18" tires to run on a 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

5 speed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
Thanks Man. I paid $29k for it with 18k miles earlier this year. And that was with the tires and wheels. I added the shell, fender flares and steps. Compared to new prices and especially for a 1500 new with just a mid grade it was tough to walk away from. Thats why I am doing the work to convert into what I want it to be.

RLM5150

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good luck getting a tire shop to put 6 ply tires on your truck. I don't think any of them want that liability.

I think doing that would be foolish.

OP
OP

5 speed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
Nah its not a problem unless you are trying to put tires on that dont meet the load rating which the 6ply i mentioned do.

Back to suspension. As i thought about it and took a trip on Saturday: the suspension just needs to be progressive which its not. You feel every wash board set of dips in the road because it has no compliance.

The way it should be is that the first third of your suspension travel is supple moving at any little ripple and being very active absorbing the small stuff. Next third of suspension travel handles mid size hits like expansion joints and bumps and the final third handles high speed hits and major potholes without bottoming out. Now given its 3/4 ton truck, the springs would need to be designed in such a way to support a load and still be compliant. Shock valving can also come into play here too.
Whether its a progressive wound spring that changes as it gets compressed or a single wound this can be done.

I got a note back from Thuren that told me I could use the springs they offer on my 2wd and essentially they were the same. I wonder then if so why a stock 4wd sits so much taller- maybe its got a dropped mounting point on the chassis in comparison which would make the same spring raise the truck higher. However I am not sure that is correct. I do know that the 2wd and4wd stock springs are a different part number.
If anyone knows more please chime in

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Off topic-
Are
Those solar panels on that shell??

OP
OP

5 speed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
Off topic-
Are
Those solar panels on that shell??

Yep they charge my battery in the back for the camper, lights, a heated blanket and for setting up on the beach at Daytona, a blender.

OP
OP

5 speed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
Just to finish this out, I had some more email with Thuren and we determined his springs are 4wd only. mainly because the springs are longer than a 2wd by 2" front and back stock. His front coils would then be 4 inches longer on a 2wd so not going to work.

Back to the drawing board....