applying tire shine product

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I also agree with the comments about 303. Does an excellent job, and leaves your tires with a natural clean look instead of really shiny look. Can be sprayed on and doesn't take long to dry--so no sling. Also 303 is a good product to use on the interior of your truck.
Jay

Last edited:

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd recommend NOT using armorall Outlast tire glaze. It's and aersol that I picked up from AutoZone to try. The nozzle was plugged so I took the cap off and used a nail punch to half **** spray. Didn't realize until it dried that it also splattered/puddled a glazing on my wheels. Says the stuff lasts for 100 washes. It stayed on my wheels for a good six plus months. Lasted on the tires probably for 2 months or so. There's still spots on my concrete driveway that are waterproof from this stuff. This kinda stuff should definitely not be in aerosol form.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Another product I've had good success with is Maguires #40. It's for rubber and vinyl. It's a little shiner than the 303 but it dries pretty quickly so no sling and it's a spray so you can get pretty uniform coverage.
Jay

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What are you using? I bought a curved applicator from autozone; paid $4 for it. It lasted 3.5 tires before the pad ripped apart.
So, have you found something that works good yet? I'm literally thinking about trying a larger very fine haired paint brush lol like you my tires chew up foam and the foam is falling apart after like 3 tires. I tried a rag and a MF applicator and both dont work good and also waste a lot of product.

Someone??

OP
OP
shadowhawk

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
I'm tempted to try a small paint brush, and spray the product on the brush.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm tempted to try a small paint brush, and spray the product on the brush.
If you do please let me know how it goes, if i dont hear first i will post here kuz thats my next and last idea i got

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
I use Black Magic , but am not very happy with it as it is a mess.

Using 303 on my bed cover and interior, may have to give it a shot on the tires

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use Black Magic , but am not very happy with it as it is a mess.

Using 303 on my bed cover and interior, may have to give it a shot on the tires
Product isnt a issue, i think the majority of us have good products or know good ones, i definitely have good products. The problem is applying the product evenly over a large aggresive AT tire or in my case a large aggresive MT tire as pictured below. All the side bite treads make for a very hard task of getting a product evenly coated in all those grooves without either A wasting tons of product or B having tons of sling from all the excess product in the grooves.
The foam contoured tire shine applicators work flawlessly, for 2-3 tires lol then the tread chews em up

nitto.jpg

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
What I use on my Nittos, covers great, no foam pads.
11779142_mrz_16915_pri_larg.jpg

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Which tire shine products don't dry out and crack your tires?

Yep, that's THE question. For starters, I WOULDN'T use anything Armour-All. Go on any classic car forums and there are guys with sad stories about how it dry rots tires and plastics way more than any protection. Been there myself. It's probably the worst. I guess if you burn through street tires fast, it doesn't matter though. They'll be worn out faster than any damage. But some guys don't put a lot of miles on their rigs, and in that case, I'd steer clear of 'miracle' spray-on tire shine products unless it's shown they don't cause dry rotting. I use WD-40 on my tires (applied with a rag). Lasts long enough looks natural ...doesn't dry them out (probably does just the opposite). It's not for everyone. Doesn't last as long as tire shine stuff, but cheap to re-apply...

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
WD 40 is basically kerosene ?

That actually works ?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thats actually not the question of this thread at all, its clearly titled APPLYING, not anything about what shine

Jeeez when did it get so combative around here? Read the O/P first sentence: "What are you using?".......others suggesting various products too. You're being too literal. I thought the purpose was to offer insight and suggestions around here?

At least I provided a piece of quality information based on many years of experience. I run a lot of different cars/trucks and classics. Do some searches and see if what I say about tire rot has value (you'll find it does). Or take it as a grain of salt ....say I suck all day long, .....do your own tests and see. Plus I said I apply with a RAG ...so there you go.

Last edited:

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dude, read the O/P first sentence: "What are you using?".......

It's easy to demean someone's input because it takes no talent. At least I provided a piece of quality information based on many years of experience. I run a lot of different cars/trucks and classics. I've used a LOT of products. Do some searches and see if what I say about tire rot has value (you'll find it does). Or take it as a grain of salt ....say I suck all day long, .....do your own tests and see.
easy killer, dont need to keyboard warrior on me lol i never said you suck or dissed you. the O/P askes what do you use related to the THREAD TITLE and incase you missed the THREAD TITLE it is "APPLYING tire shine product." applying...... nothing to do with what kind of shine

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry, maybe I took your comments the wrong way....