Are new UCAs required for rcx 6in lift with bils?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Algunz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I purchased an rcx 6in lift for my 4wd hemi 1500 along with bilstein 5100s that I plan on running at either 2.1 or 2.8 to coincide with the lift install.

I saw in the bilstein thread that stock UCAs were a big talking point amongst people who leveled their truck with bilsteins and that they could be an issue down the road with the ball joint popping out, and a lot of people were buying new UCA from zone to help prevent that.

My question is if I am running a 6in lift along with the blls is it important to replace the stock UCA? I was supposed to install last week but now this UCA concern as well as a couple poor reviews about rcx lift and how zone is better is making me feel apprehensive about the whole thing.

Any insight into the UCA question as well as the quality I can expect from rcx would be appreciated!

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The UCA should be more or less flat when at rest. If you only had the lift kit then no you wouldn’t need the UCA because the knuckle/spindle and brackets compensate for the added height. When you add the Bilsteins at an increased height you are now changing the geometry and you can potentially be putting the upper BJ in stress. The UCA corrects for this geometry change and puts it back to a more stock “flat” position.

Chances are if you keep the stock arms you’ll be fine and should be able to be aligned. The average person won’t see that droop to the point where it breaks anything but it can wear your BJ’s out or the potential is there anyway. I got the Zone UCA for my setup.

Here’s my 6” BDS with Bilsteins max and Zone arms.

68DDD4CA-8422-4A32-9EBF-B2C36D12A1A0.jpeg

939DBF5A-B3BC-41B1-B2DC-D888712EE061.jpeg

Here’s the Zone arm on just a lift kit without Bilsteins, he didn’t need it so it pushed his geometry out of whack the other way.

0BB53674-C3F4-440C-8183-D5DCBB2BC686.jpeg

OP
OP
Algunz

Algunz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The UCA should be more or less flat when at rest. If you only had the lift kit then no you wouldn’t need the UCA because the knuckle/spindle and brackets compensate for the added height. When you add the Bilsteins at an increased height you are now changing the geometry and you can potentially be putting the upper BJ in stress. The UCA corrects for this geometry change and puts it back to a more stock “flat” position.

Chances are if you keep the stock arms you’ll be fine and should be able to be aligned. The average person won’t see that droop to the point where it breaks anything but it can wear your BJ’s out or the potential is there anyway. I got the Zone UCA for my setup.

Here’s my 6” BDS with Bilsteins max and Zone arms.

View attachment 128672

View attachment 128673

Here’s the Zone arm on just a lift kit without Bilsteins, he didn’t need it so it pushed his geometry out of whack the other way.

View attachment 128674

JB1- thanks for explaining that, I was thinking it was the addition of the bilsteins since the lift kit itself keeps some rake.

I'm thinking I will be good to install the lift kit and bils themselves and then later down the road just install the zone UCAs for a piece of mind. This truck isnt going off road I just like the lifted look and I like being able to see over the traffic more on my commute

How do you like that BDS lift? I was highly considering returning my rcx and getting a BDS kit I found on custom offsets for about 900 more, but wasnt sure if it was worth it as this truck isnt going off road or anything, I just want a lift kit for long term that I can use as my daily driver.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Bilsteins will change the geometry and the angle of the UCA which the lift was designed for so it doesn’t compensate for that. That’s why if you add the Bils it’s s good idea to change the UCA’s too. You can add them later it just means another $100 alignment.

I really like the BDS, haven’t had a single issue. It’s more than the RC but keep in mind the RC doesn’t give you new rear coils, it’s just a big spacer. I have 5” rear coils with my BDS to match the increased height from the Bilsteins, you don’t have any options with the RCX so if your nose high then your stuck. There’s more differences too. You might want to consider Zone if you want an 8” lift on a budget. I was lucky and bought mine from a BDS dealer shop, mine was $3225 with tax installed alignment out the door and that was with the $400 UCA

OP
OP
Algunz

Algunz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The Bilsteins will change the geometry and the angle of the UCA which the lift was designed for so it doesn’t compensate for that. That’s why if you add the Bils it’s s good idea to change the UCA’s too. You can add them later it just means another $100 alignment.

I really like the BDS, haven’t had a single issue. It’s more than the RC but keep in mind the RC doesn’t give you new rear coils, it’s just a big spacer. I have 5” rear coils with my BDS to match the increased height from the Bilsteins, you don’t have any options with the RCX so if your nose high then your stuck. There’s more differences too. You might want to consider Zone if you want an 8” lift on a budget. I was lucky and bought mine from a BDS dealer shop, mine was $3225 with tax installed alignment out the door and that was with the $400 UCA

$3225 total with labor alignment and UCAs included? Man, I would take that deal in a second. Mine is going to cost me $2475 for the rcx kit plus labor, that is without anything else. I see you are from Texas so I am going to assume that stuff is cheaper out there, here in corrupt jersey everything is more expensive, except maybe the gas lol.

OP
OP
Algunz

Algunz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I am highly considering just getting the zone now

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ya when I was calling around all the prices were high, then I found out this place on internet was s dealer and it was only 8 miles from me. I had bought a body lift over the counter from them but never a suspension lift. When he gave me a price I was like hell yeah let’s do this. Go to the BDS website or Zone and click find dealer, the dealers get those kits at like 40% off so they can usually just charge less, it’s like getting free install.

I supplied the Bilsteins, I had originally bought them for just a level but decided to go bigger so don’t factor that cost in, don’t want to mislead anyone

3BA7580A-F9F1-485E-ACE1-46C63107F697.jpeg

OP
OP
Algunz

Algunz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Good stuff here man, I found 3 dealers in my area so I am going to give them a call. I actually didnt realize that the zone kits are only $200 more than the rcx without the new UCA, so this is a no brainer. I will be making some calls for sure. I will be driving this truck for at least the next 5 years so I just want something quality and not just the cheapest option.

Going to be asking for this kit specifically (I didnt realize it was only $200 more than the rcx):

https://www.customwheeloffset.com/store/6922/zone-6-suspension-system-ram-1500-2013-2017&year=2017&make=Ram&model=1500&drive=4WD&engine=Gas

Thanks for all the help brother.

OP
OP
Algunz

Algunz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I was gonna get a Zone just like in these videos but like I said the BDS deal was too good to pass up

Do you know if I'll be good to order the 6/5 kit for now without any leveling in the front? I plan on getting the bils and UCAs eventually, but I dont want to get the 6/3 and end up needing that 5in rear kit later, I definitely dont mind the rake for now just want to confirm whether its even possible to do that without any leveling in the front other than the 6in from the kit....

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sure you can do the 6/5 now without the Bilsteins, it’ll just have a little rake to it, kinda factory looking just taller, you may even prefer it. They actually give the rear height options because some trucks have more rake some may have less. It’s nice to be able to customize it to what you want or need.

OP
OP
Algunz

Algunz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Sure you can do the 6/5 now without the Bilsteins, it’ll just have a little rake to it, kinda factory looking just taller, you may even prefer it. They actually give the rear height options because some trucks have more rake some may have less. It’s nice to be able to customize it to what you want or need.

I might bro I feel like Rams in particular look good with the rake, so we shall see. It is nice to have the different options, looking forward to the zone! Ill be posting it up once its done