AT Tires for HD... bear with me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaflowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
This is what I put on to get rid of the POS factory tires. Yokohama Geolander A/T G015 size 275/60R20 as I've got 20" rims. Taller than factory, slightly less wide. Theyhave 7,000 miles on them now and seem to be wearing great. Traction is very good and road noise is low.

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/geolandar-a-t-g015

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
BFGs suck butt on a 2500. Personally I'll never run them on anything I own.

I've had many many years experience with 2500s and CTDs..

The Toyo AT is your best tire. E rated and will last twice as long as those crappy BFGs.

I agree on the toyos I ran 2 sets of BFG a/t on my 3500 and 3 sets of toyo a/t over 300k. Averaged 40k a set on the BFG and 70k on the toyos. I'm trying nitto ridge grapplers now on my 1/2 ton because I got em cheap, but I haven't put enough miles on them to form an opinion yet.that said I found the BFG better in the snow, but on balance I'd go toyo. I run lots of resource roads so gravel, mud, ice ruts etc.

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I'm going to need something new in the spring to replace the Nitto Trail Grapplers I have now.....(weren't my choice).

I was looking hard at the Cooper ST Pros my buddy runs on his F250.

I ran Duratracs on my old 250 and they were a little "squirrly' when towing the horses. So while I like them, not for towing applications.

No BFGs....

Run General AT2s on my Tundra with awesome success but that is a different beast.

Anyone look at the General X3s?

luckydog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have both the Cooper S/T Maxx & A/T3 for my current truck. The S/T Maxx is great both on road & in the mud, though I'm waiting to see about longevity. As I read elsewhere they were squirmy for the 1st 100 miles or so. The A/t3's are on my steel wheels for winter and are good on road & in the snow. I had a set of Dynapro A/T's on my old truck (an '03 2500) and got 90,000 out of them. I couldn't beat the price on the A/T3's- they were just under $900. with mounting & balancing.
I'd also have to agree about the BFG all terrains. I'd had good luck with them years ago, but my last set on the '03 only lasted 40,000 even with rotating them every 4,000. I don't care how great they are in the snow, I can't pay a premium price for a tire that won't last.

5 speed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
I second the Falken Wildpeaks. I am impressed as they are an inexpensive tire how well they work great in rain, I had them in snow and they worked really well (2wd 2500 truck). they are also good in sand. I have to say for around 660.00 E rated tires, you cant beat them. Not real noisy either. They did a good job on these tires. I have about 13K on them and they still look new with even wear on some 18x9 aftermarket wheels.

Rick Ram-jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
Engine
6.4 L
Try looking onto Kanati Trail Hogs...
Considered a hybrid a/t they are a Duratrac rip-off tread wise however they are E 10ply rated with 3 ply side walls!
Basically a Duratrac on steroids addressing all of the weak areas of the Goodyears!
If you do a deep Google search you can find Kanati`s at a MUCH better price (bargin) than the Duratracs or Toyo`s.
I live at 7600ft and have found the Kanati`s to be excellent in snow, very good on sand and graded roads plus the large/widely spaced outside lugs clear mud very well.
I forgot to mention, the Kanati is snow rated and carries the snow flake stamp on the sidewall.

Last edited:

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Try looking onto Kanati Trail Hogs...
Considered a hybrid a/t they are a Duratrac rip-off tread wise however they are E 10ply rated with 3 ply side walls!
Basically a Duratrac on steroids addressing all of the weak areas of the Goodyears!
If you do a deep Google search you can find Kanati`s at a MUCH better price (bargin) than the Duratracs or Toyo`s.
I live at 7600ft and have found the Kanati`s to be excellent in snow, very good on sand and graded roads plus the large/widely spaced outside lugs clear mud very well.
I forgot to mention, the Kanati is snow rated and carries the snow flake stamp on the sidewall.
I got 10k miles on my trail hogs and are half gone on my 6.4

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
My Kanati Mud Hogs currently have around 6k miles on them. No wear issues to date...

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
I loved my Trail Hogs but have worn badly in a year since purchase. I don't have exact mileage but have rotated twice in 12 months....daily driver mostly highway.

3 of the 4 tires have work unevenly (cupping) and one is perfectly fine in the rear.

I haven't seen many bad comments on this tire and I'm wondering if it's due to worn shocks up front. Either way I'm looking at replacing them way too soon. Right now just dealing with the noise and vibration.

I had Duratracs on my Dakota the year prior and never had any issues. It was a high mileage truck with worn suspension too.

Cummins Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just last week got a set of Cooper S/T Maxx 295/70/18. I had KO2's on the truck 275/70/18 and they were great tires EXCEPT for the afore mention wear issue. 17,000 miles and they were shot. Unacceptable for as much as they cost. From what I researched the Coopers are supposed to give good mileage and the price was pretty good too. I decided to go up a little in size this time. I was assured by my research that the 295/70/18 would fit a 2500 that was stock height, but I didn't take into account the grille guard and winch maybe pulling the front down just a hair. I'm getting a very slight rubbing when I make a sharp turn and hit any bump, like into a driveway, on the left front. It's very slight and I could probably get away with it but it bugs me so I'm getting the front leveled Friday.

BTW - I can attest to them feeling a little squirrely out of the box but I've probably got about 250 or so miles on them now and don't notice it at all now.

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
BFGs suck butt on a 2500. Personally I'll never run them on anything I own.

I've had many many years experience with 2500s and CTDs..

The Toyo AT is your best tire. E rated and will last twice as long as those crappy BFGs.

I am in need of tires for my Power Wagon. I bought it used and there were 22k miles on the truck and the stockers were toast. I like stock equipment but I don't want to be changing tires every 25k miles.

After reading some of the comments here it looks like it is hard to ignore the Toyo AT. Does anyone have experience with the Toyo Open County AT II?

Looks like they will work with my truck. I don't hit the trails very often,mostly highway and city driving with the weekend Pennsylvania trip into the woods. I do tow 5k pounds every once in a while.

Do you guy think this would be an appropriate tire for my needs? Any concern running such a high PSI on my truck?

Thanks for the help.

Peter

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
what
I am in need of tires for my Power Wagon. I bought it used and there were 22k miles on the truck and the stockers were toast. I like stock equipment but I don't want to be changing tires every 25k miles.

After reading some of the comments here it looks like it is hard to ignore the Toyo AT. Does anyone have experience with the Toyo Open County AT II?

Looks like they will work with my truck. I don't hit the trails very often,mostly highway and city driving with the weekend Pennsylvania trip into the woods. I do tow 5k pounds every once in a while.

Do you guy think this would be an appropriate tire for my needs? Any concern running such a high PSI on my truck?

Thanks for the help.

Peter

whats the concern of the high psi?

look at load inflation tables and run the lowest possible
im running 45 front and 35 rear with TOYO rt E. no towing or extra weight

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
what

whats the concern of the high psi?

look at load inflation tables and run the lowest possible
im running 45 front and 35 rear with TOYO rt E. no towing or extra weight

Does that trip your TPMS? I can't deal with the warning light. it will drive me nuts!

I don't have a great concern besides changing ride quality and towing factors. I just want to make the right choice. Thats all.

I am also seeing the Toyo ATII is not well suited for winter conditions. That would be a no go for me. Looks like more research it is!

Thanks for the help.

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Does that trip your TPMS? I can't deal with the warning light. it will drive me nuts!

I don't have a great concern besides changing ride quality and towing factors. I just want to make the right choice. Thats all.

I am also seeing the Toyo ATII is not well suited for winter conditions. That would be a no go for me. Looks like more research it is!

Thanks for the help.

of course it sets off the light, but who cares...i like to look at pressures before i drive anyway as a safety check(motorcycle days) and all you do is clear the dash warning, and cover the dash light with black tape....if it bothers you....really not that bad

if you dont mind needing tires every 10k possibly, the BFG k02 is a great choice, otherwise, get the 35 duratracs

either tire, D or E, and you can run mid 40s in front and mid 30s in rear WITH NO LOAD

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
of course it sets off the light, but who cares...i like to look at pressures before i drive anyway as a safety check(motorcycle days) and all you do is clear the dash warning, and cover the dash light with black tape....if it bothers you....really not that bad

if you dont mind needing tires every 10k possibly, the BFG k02 is a great choice, otherwise, get the 35 duratracs

either tire, D or E, and you can run mid 40s in front and mid 30s in rear WITH NO LOAD
Thanks for the info! Do you have any experience with mickey thompson deegan 38 A/T? That what im thinking about getting