atv help...calling all my mechanic buddies!

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by GlOcKnRaM, Dec 20, 2013.

1. GlOcKnRaM

GlOcKnRaM Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L V8 Hemi
    Well once again im working on the old beast! Its a 1997 Honda Foreman 400. I went out the other day to start it and it wouldnt turn over. Almost like the battery didnt have enough juice to turn over the stater. I have a video of the noise it makes and if needed Ill upload it, but it just makes a ticking noise coming from the battery and starter. Its seems I have a bad ground somewhere draining the battery or a bad starter?? Before replacing the battery and solenoid we used to have to keep it on a charger for it to start. Replacing these two fixed it for about a month, now its back to the same old problem. Any help would be appreciated, as when it comes to electrical Im a little rusty.

2. mattman_13

mattman_13 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    hemi 5.7
    I had an issue like that on my streetbike. It would just tick like trying to turn over. Then if I jumped it it would run as normal but then the gauges would stay on even after the key and off button were off. It ended up being A LOT of corrosion on one of the wiring harnesses (took me days going through wiring). Doubt it's something like that The honda 300/400 foremans were beasts. Does it have a pull start or am I going crazy?

No exaggeration my grandfathers 1989 300 would sit all year with sea foam in the tank you could go outside and kick it a couple of times and ride it like nothing ever changed.

Maybe try a trickle charger for a few days.

Goodluck man

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  3. NYCruiser

NYCruiser Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I would check all the wiring, connectors, plugs, etc for corrosion. Get some dielectric grease handy and use it after checking when you reconnect stuff.

In the meantime, I would install a switch on the battery to make sure I can shut it off when stored.

GlOcKnRaM likes this.
  4. bmxnick7

bmxnick7 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I just went through an entire rebuild on a foreman 400. Sounds like you have something draining the battery. I have the manual on my computer if you send me your email I can email it to you.

5. GlOcKnRaM

GlOcKnRaM Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L V8 Hemi
    That would be awesome..its [email protected].

I went to auto zone this morning to test the battery and starter and they were fine! So its got to be something draining the battery, or a short/ bad connection somewhere.

6. GlOcKnRaM

GlOcKnRaM Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L V8 Hemi
    They are beasts! Besides this issue, I can always rely on it! It does have a pull start, and that does work..just takes more pulls than I'd like lol..its easier to just press a button!

7. Cowboy345

Cowboy345 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    its defiantly the wiring. Just check everything maybe a voltmeter would help but you have something draining the battery.... I dout its a short.