Audio Upgrade for 2015

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
I stated out with the Alpine premium system. Not so bad for a factory effort, but short of the mark. The original plan was to upgrade the speakers to Infinity reference all around and a 8" Pioneer shallow mount in the factory box adding pillow filling. That was a real nice upgrade from the base factory system an was pretty happy with the result for the dollars invested, however it just seem to be so bright, don't get me wrong love to really have the symbols and brush up in my face, but there just was not enough low end to balance the infinities brightness. So I added the Rockford Fosgate R250X1 using the factory sub signal into an LC2i. This seemed to be a good move and have been very happy with the sound, I have the gain and crossovers set up half decent using my ears as I do not have an RTA
but it seems like I am leaving some bass on the table so the thought is now is to use some sound proofing and foam speaker surrounds to deaden the space a little, Also going to use the sound deadening material to coat the entire sub enclosure to stiffen it up a little, but nothing like some of these cats thst are doing the whole truck, just a some here and there to solid it up and kill a little vibration
Then want to add a four channel amp, looking at the Rockford DSR1 and the AR-CH2 idatalink T harness

Does anyone know if the wiring for the head liner speakers and dash speakers run all the way to the factory amp ? I would like to retain them for tweeters by tying them into the front and rear speakers and using 47MF caps

This is going to be a long and drawn out process first waiting for the north east weather to take a turn for the better, hell it's snowing right now. But this is giving me time to research and learn as much as possible before tackling this. I have been called and accused of many things but a 12 volt audio expert is not one of them :(

Here are some links of what I am looking at

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/ite...d-Deadening-Entire-Car-90mil-2.3mm-THICK.html

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_137649_Roadkill-6X9-FAST-Rings-RKFR69.html

https://www.amazon.com/8-Channel-In...s&ie=UTF8&qid=1521584601&sr=1-6&keywords=dsr1

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_107621_JL-Audio-Class-D-4-Channel-RD400-4.html

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_40525_NVX-XKIT44.html

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
One of the things I would suggest differently is using the 4 gauge wiring kit. If possible use 0 gauge for power & 0 gauge for ground, you can run those into distribution blocks and then use 4 gauge to run to the amps. it also prevents you from having to upgrade the wiring down the road if you want to add more amps.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m going to suggest two things if you are planning on ending up with a fully aftermarket system.

1. Don’t use the ceiling tweeters. They will just pull the stage to the rear and exaggerate the highs.

2. Make the initial investment in the PAC Audio unit so that everything else will be easier to integrate.

I know you’ve seen me suggest these things lots of times and I sound like a broken record. :33:

Are you planning a fully active system? If so, two way or three way front?

OP
OP
Witch

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
Eestee, I have an 8 gauge already ran for the 250x1 for the sub, was just thinking to run a 4 gauge to the JL 400/4
does it hurt to have a power wire for each ? only ask as Sonic give you a free 100% copper 4 gauge kit when you buy a JL the amp, save me $ 100.00

Tom, Was thinking it would help with the highs as i have 3.5" speakers up front ? if I put caps on them do you think I will have enough high frequency with out them in the headliner ?

I hear hear ya, yes I have been lurking in a lot of audio threads recently, the Amp Pro is a great piece.
leaning towards the DSR1 as it gives me the same pre amp flat signal out that the Amp pro does and gives me the the Rockford 3sixty3 DSP for what amounts to 30 buck for an iData T harness.

what are your thoughts on the DSR1 ?

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Eestee, I have an 8 gauge already ran for the 250x1 for the sub, was just thinking to run a 4 gauge to the JL 400/4
does it hurt to have a power wire for each ? only ask as Sonic give you a free 100% copper 4 gauge kit when you buy a JL the amp, save me $ 100.00

Tom, Was thinking it would help with the highs as i have 3.5" speakers up front ? if I put caps on them do you think I will have enough high frequency with out them in the headliner ?

I hear hear ya, yes I have been lurking in a lot of audio threads recently, the Amp Pro is a great piece.
leaning towards the DSR1 as it gives me the same pre amp flat signal out that the Amp pro does and gives me the the Rockford 3sixty3 DSP for what amounts to 30 buck for an iData T harness.

Not a fan of the two power wire approach. The more wires you run the more chances you can introduce interference into your system.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Not a fan of the two power wire approach. The more wires you run the more chances you can introduce interference into your system.
I agree. One main power wire is preferred. The chain (per se) should have as few of links as possible

OP
OP
Witch

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
would a 4 wire do both ? or would I have to bump it up to a 0 wire ?

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
would a 4 wire do both ? or would I have to bump it up to a 0 wire ?
4awg would be acceptable for the two amps you listed. If you ever added more power or another amp, id also upgrade to Oawg

OP
OP
Witch

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
cool,

so I just would need a spliter of some sort ?

do they make something like that or would you just solder on to the end with the two wires at the amp location ?

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lots of companies make 0awg to multi 4awg distribution blocks. Some of them have fuses built in. Whatever you do, don’t get the cheapest one. Do a little research and get a quality one. It’s the heart of your system’s power.

Ok, I guess technically it’s one of the main arteries. LOL

Dodge This

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
OP
OP
Witch

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
O wow, that is the ticket

Thank you

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Different amps have different fuse requirements. This block will let you put the correct fuse size to each amp.

https://www.amazon.com/JL-Audio-XD-FDBU-2-Fused-Distribution/dp/B004NORCPA

That block is perfect! My only other suggestion would be to get the 4 output version if you think you would ever add more than two amps. It would also be useful if you add a DSP to the back wall as it would already have power available.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MH5JVLK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ARYO0SGB48ZCP&psc=1

OP
OP
Witch

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
Bought a few more items today, unfortunately the DSR1 and the AR-CH2 harness are on back order :wtf2:

but got the extension cable so I can mount the DSR1 in the back of the truck and also got that JL Distribution Block

I am hoping winter will be over by the time I round all this stuff up, :eek:

upload_2018-3-22_15-52-54.jpeg

Here is some of the stuff :waytogo:

upload_2018-3-22_15-53-43.png

upload_2018-3-22_15-53-59.png

upload_2018-3-22_15-54-12.png

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Witc: 1690664 said:
Bought a few more items today, unfortunately the DSR1 and the AR-CH2 harness areh, post on back order :wtf2:
Witc: 1690664 said:
but got the extension cable so I can mount the DSR1 in the back of the truck and also got that JL Distribution Block

I am hoping winter will be over by the time I round all this stuff up, :eek:

View attachment 123468

Here is some of the stuff :waytogo:

View attachment 123469

View attachment 123470

View attachment 123471

it wasnt on back order on ebay,

OP
OP
Witch

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
Wasn't on Amazon either, I am 12v illiterate and only have a vague idea of what I am doing so went with a company with tech support o_O

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
fosgate will give you tech support on their product

OP
OP
Witch

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
True, didn't think of that ...........

Need to grab a couple caps for the 3.5" dash speakers

At 4 Ohms would 33 MF caps be a good choice ? I assume they roll off at 1200Htz and below based on the chart ?

upload_2018-3-23_11-48-3.png

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you running a DSP? That should take care of the crossovers.

OP
OP
Witch

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
I have to piggy back them on the front as I only have 4 channels

I thought I would need to have a lower frequency to push the 6x9's they are connected too ?