Audio Upgrade for 2015

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Those speakers look pretty sweet

OP
OP
Witch

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
Thanks, They sounded pretty good for the few minutes I was able to listen to them ....... lol
Hoping they work out well once tuned :waytogo:

Waiting it out for the replacement amp to get back to them and shipped back out to me. Seems like forever
Decided to spend some more money and get matched speakers for the sub and rear doors.
Went with the 6.5" Co-axles and the 8" sub, goung to modify the stock enclosure to accommodate it
Looking for a little more bottom end

upload_2018-5-28_15-33-25.png

upload_2018-5-28_15-33-42.png

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I forget what the volume of the factory enclosure is (sub wants .35 cuft sealed). I’ll bet that sub will sound great. That Flax series is nice gear.

OP
OP
Witch

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
Hoping so,

The OEM enclosure is just shy of that at 3.3 QF. Hoping it preforms well at that volume

Going to find out :waytogo:

Just can't wait to get the amp back so I can see where I am at, or hear where I am at I guess

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Running my audio through it's paces and tuning it a bit while I drink beer and hang out by the fire pit with the family. Finally sounding good. Maybe some minor tweaks over time, but I've decided to leave the set up as is. Speakers are broken in now and sound way better. Now just slowly turning them up to the just below breaking point.

OP
OP
Witch

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
I will be happy just to get mine working

Tuning in the advanced section has a lot of settings that I have no idea, cross over, octave and slope ? WTF ????

Probably never get it tuned right .......... lol

Guess you just have to play with and see how it reacts to the different settings

Little more than bass and treble + or -

Beer sounds like a mandatory ingredient :cheers:

Reactions: BWL

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
limit the beer while tuning...alcohol tends to give you a false sense of sweet in more ways than one.
I would also try to get that midrange mounted with four points of contact if possible...i know its a tough angle with limited work space, but that's a nice speaker and you want to set it up for as much success as possible. Maybe add some pillow stuffing or CCF under the speaker to tame back waves too

OP
OP
Witch

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
I will see if I can cut out some ABS mounts is the only way I can think of .... what is CCF ?

Tough with out a table router, but doable

They don't make something you can just plug in and it tunes it do they ?

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I will be happy just to get mine working

Tuning in the advanced section has a lot of settings that I have no idea, cross over, octave and slope ? WTF ????

Probably never get it tuned right .......... lol

Guess you just have to play with and see how it reacts to the different settings

Little more than bass and treble + or -

Beer sounds like a mandatory ingredient :cheers:
Biggest thing I did wrong was set the crossover on the amp too high. This morning I turned it on. Not way up though since some people are hung over and still sleeping. Can't even tell the diference between rear speakers on and off so the gap in frequency I had seems to be gone. The midbass really woke up after a bunch of high volume run in hours. I'd bet you get a bit of a noticeabe improvement once you get those focals broken in. Not sure exactly what all I changed as my bravery and let's see what this does level were fairly high last night. Heard a couple pops out of the midbass when at full volume so I had to turn them down slightly as I have more amp than speaker. Can go right to 37 and it still sounds good. At least what I can still hear! Not sure you'll stay with the factory sub enclosure, but with the gear you have you might be happy regardless. My JL 10's are sounding better now too as the buzzing the subs were doing at low frequency seems to have worked it's way out. System was full volume for 3 hours and the amps were just a bit warm. Cooling or power supplies have come a long way.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
There's equipment to help you see the roll off and actual performance as you know, but the tuning is still a manual and time consuming thing. I tuned each set of speakers on it's own turning every other channel off and then set the levels to get the sound how I liked it with everything on. Made it easier for me.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
CCF is closed cell foam. I have some directly behind all my door speakers. Audio shop sold me some squares. Supposed to clean up the sound waves in an enclosure. Not sure if they make a noticeable difference at all since I put them in during the install.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I will see if I can cut out some ABS mounts is the only way I can think of .... what is CCF ?

Tough with out a table router, but doable

They don't make something you can just plug in and it tunes it do they ?
The JBL MS8 had a highly regarded auto tune. I never owned one, but for the average consumer, it did a pretty damn good job with tuning a vehicle. My old 80PRS had a auto tune function, but it was less then stellar. MS8 can be found pretty cheap. The only gripe people have had is there really isn't any fine tuning after the MS8 does its auto tune.....drove a few perfectionists nuts. Great option for the set it, forget it guy

OP
OP
Witch

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
Cool,

Once I get my amp back I will check where the factory radio with puts out distortion with the dd1 and let every one know

I might be able to get some of that CCF stuff local, we have a insulation supplier right here in town.

Glad the subs are working out, I am modding the factory enclosure so it can fit a 4.6" deep sub, I will try to get lots of pics of the process

Really do not want to give up the fold flat floor. Hoping for the best :waytogo:

JBL MS8 ? looks like a DSP ? The DSR1 has a DSP built in, although not sure of what quality, but it has a gajillion settings

I was thinking something you plugged into the USB or something that would have a mic and set it up

I know some Pioneer head units have auto tune ?

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Cool,

Once I get my amp back I will check where the factory radio with puts out distortion with the dd1 and let every one know

I might be able to get some of that CCF stuff local, we have a insulation supplier right here in town.

Glad the subs are working out, I am modding the factory enclosure so it can fit a 4.6" deep sub, I will try to get lots of pics of the process

Really do not want to give up the fold flat floor. Hoping for the best :waytogo:

JBL MS8 ? looks like a DSP ? The DSR1 has a DSP built in, although not sure of what quality, but it has a gajillion settings

I was thinking something you plugged into the USB or something that would have a mic and set it up

I know some Pioneer head units have auto tune ?

Yes, my old pioneer 80prs, and my current p99 have auto tune. Both hu's come with a mic and you play pink noise through the system and it auto tunes the system for you....but I wouldn't call it auto tune, id call it auto set up.....cause its not tuned very well once its done. The MS8 works the same way, but like I mentioned before, the MS8 actually does a pretty decent job at tuning the system....it's not perfect, but it has made many enthusiasts happy over the years. Yes the MS8 is a DSP

OP
OP
Witch

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
Good to know, Have to see how this works out

Just have to do some research I guess so I have a least a half assed understanding of cross over points, octave and slope settings

I am just a regular listener so the bar is not that high for me to think it sounds good

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I am modding the factory enclosure so it can fit a 4.6" deep sub, I will try to get lots of pics of the process

The JL stealthbox with 2 10's is .35 cu.ft. There is still space around it on 1 side in the storage well so I think a custom fibreglass with the same airspace could be made lower and fit under the load floor better.

OP
OP
Witch

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
Yea, wish I had the skills to make a custom box.

I am just modding the factory plastic enclosure , At least trying too .......... lol

Hopefully have the sub in a few days

OP
OP
Witch

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
the 2 7/8: hole saw is out for delivery. I will be ready when it gets here ........... lol

Was able to secure some 1/2" CCF locally :waytogo:

Glad I am changing it, was not real happy with the two bolts and fender washer approach, just lazy

upload_2018-6-1_12-44-36.png

OP
OP
Witch

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
All done, Worked out pretty well other than my jig saw cut out just melt right back together

Had to cut a little and hen go through it with a utility knife

upload_2018-6-1_16-33-37.png

upload_2018-6-1_16-33-51.png

upload_2018-6-1_16-34-16.png

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That looks solid!