Auto high beams question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IMRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I’m pretty new to this truck, but it has the auto high beam option. When I enabled the auto highbeams initially, they work perfectly, now they don’t work at all. If I enable the highbeam option, the highbeams stay on regardless of oncoming traffic or cars right in front of me. Is there a sensor that needs cleaning or how to these things work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have auto high beams as well, but I never use them because they never seemed to work properly.

OP
OP
I

IMRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have never had them before, but since they are an option I would expect them to work. They did work initially, I’m just wondering if there’s a sensor that could be dirty or something? Anyway, I will probably just blow them off I guess.

Docpaulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Sensor is behind your rearview mirror attached to the windshield glass

Since its under warranty take it to the dealer

OP
OP
I

IMRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That’s interesting, I just applied a pikes pass toll sticker in that area, I wonder if it’s blocking the sensor? That’s probably it.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Your headlight switch needs to be in the AUTO position for your auto high beams to work. It sounds like it is in the ON position, meaning your high beams will work like conventional high beams. Additionally, check the setting in your Uconnect under lighting and make sure auto high beams are enabled.

I just saved you a trip to the dealer, you’re welcome lol

EDIT: just saw your post. Yeah, the sensor is right behind the mirror. If you’ve installed a sticker, you’ve basically covered up its eyes and it can’t see oncoming traffic.

duunoit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I used the auto highbeams in my wife's new car and was really impressed with how well they worked (fast and really sensitive). Was considering adding them to my truck.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
I wasn't impressed with mine. My wife's explorer auto high beam is much more impressive.

OP
OP
I

IMRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The auto highbeam lights worked perfectly in 1500 limited until I blocked the sensor with my toll road pass.

Outbreak

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
The auto highbeam lights worked perfectly in 1500 limited until I blocked the sensor with my toll road pass.

I just started having issues with mine, which is why I came here. Sure enough, I just put up a toll pass too! Thanks for the info!

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Is there any way to adjust the sensitivity on Auto High beam mirrors? I installed mine yesterday and went for a ride tonight. It works and is definitely functional but just doesn't stay on that much. I know it's bright out tonight because of the Blood Moon (whatever that is) but I really need the brights to be on more with nothing oncoming. Also there are absolutely no streetlights here in the desert not even in residential areas, just some scattered house lights and the high beams are off way more than on.

bbdmac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Mine work great but if there's a very bright reflection coming back from a speed limit sign or some other type of reflective sign then they'll switch off until I get past that sign and then switch on again.

Sasquatchtdg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Mine have turned into a$$holes since i tinted the windshield! Kinda expected it though. They'll bright check people all the time, so off they go.

David McClure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For those of you that have a mounted toll road pass, how far did you have to move the sticker before the high beams started to work properly? My toll road pass is clear plastic, but my Auto High Beams are more of a nuisance until I can find a fix.

Peach Pass II.jpg

Outbreak

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
For those of you that have a mounted toll road pass, how far did you have to move the sticker before the high beams started to work properly? My toll road pass is clear plastic, but my Auto High Beams are more of a nuisance until I can find a fix.

View attachment 185986

I moved my toll pass to the bottom middle of my windshield and it works great!

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
my auto high's are hit or miss. Nothing blocking the sensor, they just have a mind of their own. Sometimes won't come on when on a pitch black country road. Sometimes won't turn off when a vehicle coming at me. I gave up and turned that feature off.

Smokey613

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine on my 2011 Chrysler 300C worked great as do the ones on our 2018 Laramie.

Stever68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
my auto high's are hit or miss. Nothing blocking the sensor, they just have a mind of their own. Sometimes won't come on when on a pitch black country road. Sometimes won't turn off when a vehicle coming at me. I gave up and turned that feature off.

Sorry I am late to the thread, I just bought my 2018 in May. Is there any way to adjust the sensitivity of the sensor? The auto high beams work but shut off at even the slightest reflection. Even my first car, a '69 Cadillac Fleetwood had auto high beams with a sensitivity knob on the dash.