Axle Fluid Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Reading through the manual. I have 2018 4x4 1500 5.7L 8-speed with anti-slip.

First new truck I've owned so unsure of what the below means as I do not see anywhere that I would put this fluid in to a reservoir?..

"
Rear Axle And 4x4 Front Driving Axle Fluid Level

For normal service, periodic fluid level checks are not required. When the vehicle is serviced for other reasons the exterior surfaces of the axle assembly should be inspected. If gear oil leakage is suspected inspect the fluid level. Refer to “Fluids And Lubricants” in “Technical Specifications” for further information. This inspection should be made with the vehicle in a level position.

For 1500 Model axles, the fluid level should be even with the bottom of the fill hole (within 1/4 in (6.4 mm) of edge of hole) for the FDU215 HD front axle and C235FE rear axle.
"

"
Limited-Slip Differentials

1500 Model rear axles equipped with a Limited Slip Differential require that 5 oz. (148 ml) Mopar Limited Slip Additive be added to the gear lubricant. Refer to “Fluids And Lubricants” in “Technical Specification” for further information. The Mopar Limited Slip Additive should be added to the gear lubricant whenever a fluid change is made to an axle equipped with a Limited Slip Differential.
"

"
Fluid Level Check

This fluid level can be checked by removing the filler plug. The fluid level should be to the bottom edge of the filler plug hole with the vehicle in a level position.
"

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
You don't need to worry about it. Just service it per owners manual service intervals. Around 60k believe

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
If it’s “transfer case fluid” says at 30k, 90k, 150k.

When you say “service”, i.e. dealership?

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Generally. It's cheaper to do it yourself but make sure you use proper fluid per your owners manual and keep receipts that's how you keep your warranty. Also the axles and t case won't have a reservoir.

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Where is axle and limited slip fill location then?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The fill location is a small threaded plug set into the case of the differential center section.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956