axle swap questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So here's a lust of my questions. Mostly I want to have the 8 lug bolt pattern. This is because I can never afford new tires and there are always used wheel/tire Combos for 8 lug. I don't even know much about the dodge 3/4 ton axles. What's the gearing in them? Can I just bolt and go or do I have to do major mods? Any help is needed.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Gearing is either 3:55 or 4:10

The front is pretty much a bolt in IF you get the same year because later front axles had larger bushing bolt holes. Yes, you caould drill or replace the approopriate bushings, thought you should know. The holy grail of 8 lugs is a 2002 front...NO CAD!
Later axles have the more desirable dual piston calipers and ball joints. They also have a beefier 32 spline axle. Your brake lines will bolt up. I can't remember if the front shaft is a bolt up or if the differential joint is larger.

The rear is a bit tougher. Spring pads are outboard and to do it right should be cut off and re welded to bolt up to your springs. Again, newer axles have alrer brakes and your hose will bolt up. your rear drive shaft does have a smaller joint and is too long.

Lastly...front sway bar links vary.

OP
OP
Badger

Badger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That helps a bunch. Sway bars wont be going on if I do the swap anyways. I'm afraid the ram is shortly going to be retired off road only soon so from now on all mods will be geared towards that goal.

Obviously I can't just swap in new axle shafts that are 8 lug if its a different spline. Id really prefer to just that.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Going to a 17" 5 lug wheel would probably a bit easier and cheaper

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I believe he's looking for beef to slog through that dark black clay that is prevelant around the Mississippi valley. That stuff is sticky and either like mixed concrete or slipperly slurry.
Having recently purchased 17 inch rims for my truck I feel that tire selection is slim and used meats in runnable condition scarce as hen's teeth.

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
well if you plan on doing an axle swap i have a DIY on it if you need help. ive taken out the axle on a 2nd gen about 6times now.

OP
OP
Badger

Badger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I believe he's looking for beef to slog through that dark black clay that is prevelant around the Mississippi valley. That stuff is sticky and either like mixed concrete or slipperly slurry.
Having recently purchased 17 inch rims for my truck I feel that tire selection is slim and used meats in runnable condition scarce as hen's teeth.

Yep. Unfortunately anything short of rockwells in the mud around here will break. But hopefully I can prolong it. Now I've just got to find me some axles. Now that I know what I'm looking for and what I need to do this should in theory be a cake walk.

OP
OP
Badger

Badger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I do know that power wagon axles will bolt in though. 4 wheeler just did it.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Does Reds Junk yard along the river in West Davenport still exist? It was called Big Reds at one time too.
I don't know if Big Red is alive yet buut his son John was pretty much in charge when I lived up there. They were total Mopar fanatics. Always had parts for my old junk.

OP
OP
Badger

Badger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wish! I spent way to much time there in high school. It's just an empty lot where Oscar mayer parks their trailers that they aren't using.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
You mean big reds used cars? That was up there by Oscars. The junkyard...err auto recycling yard was down along the river. That was river bottom property just past the sewage plant. If that's gone, that sucks!
It was still there in 2005 when I was back for a funeral.

OP
OP
Badger

Badger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hmm Google says its still there. I went to go find it last summer and couldn't find it just the lot. I'm gonna hunt for it tomorrow. Probably won't be open but maybe I can find it.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Well that makes alot more sense then just trying to save on tires lol

THEBAD1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 Sport SLT QC2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Go aftermarket.... Strange, Yukon, ect. Had a custom set Yukon "forged axles" made for my Ram and a set of Strange made for my Dakota ...both around $350 a set.

zack

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5 packing the smarty
Engine
5.9 cummins ho
Gearing is either 3:55 or 4:10

The front is pretty much a bolt in IF you get the same year because later front axles had larger bushing bolt holes. Yes, you caould drill or replace the approopriate bushings, thought you should know. The holy grail of 8 lugs is a 2002 front...NO CAD!
Later axles have the more desirable dual piston calipers and ball joints. They also have a beefier 32 spline axle. Your brake lines will bolt up. I can't remember if the front shaft is a bolt up or if the differential joint is larger.

The rear is a bit tougher. Spring pads are outboard and to do it right should be cut off and re welded to bolt up to your springs. Again, newer axles have alrer brakes and your hose will bolt up. your rear drive shaft does have a smaller joint and is too long.

Lastly...front sway bar links vary.
an you for got 373s gears its what mine is running

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
an you for got 373s gears its what mine is running

Perhaps..but that's not what 2nd gen Dana axles have. I believe you have AAM axles in a 2004.5

I would probably go to bigger diiferentials that have bigger axles. I've seen guys obliterate high chrome strength axles in a D-44 as easily as stockers. You can only turn them so large for a d-44, and there's no room around the "Cs" for larger U-joints, which has always been the weak link.

Since the truck won't be street driven, you could use ox joints. Personally I'd rather go bigger. If you had something as light as a Dakota or Jeep a D-44 might last. :birgits_tiredcoffee