b5100's and what else!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi 4X4 Crew White/Chrome
I have had 4 bilsteins 5100's in my gameroom for months. at 91kmiles, my suspension is needing some attention as well as Rotors and Breaks (I think I have a slight wobble due to warped rotors)

2014 4x4 stock tire size

Gonna try 2.8 front and 1.5 spacer in rear and I really want to do it this weekend but need y'alls help!

My questions are:

1) Besides Moog LCA Ball joint and Moog UCA, what other bushings/wearable parts should I replace while I am down there? TRE's?, Stabilizer bar, anything else? I plan on ordering anything asap.

2) I do not haul often but want a good set of brakes and rotors that I wont have to worry about warping. I keep reading EBC recommendations, but wanted opinions based on guys that do not need high performance (I wont be hauling 9k lb trailers anytime often), I just want high quality that I can depend on for a long time for daily driver and the occasional tow.

3) What about track bar? Worth replacing or upgrading bushings or looking for an adjustable one?

4) Comments, questions, concerns, constructive criticism's welcomed! Any recommendations about what I should go ahead and change while I have her out of commission this weekend is what I am after.

Thank you all so very much, this community is badazz

OP
OP
CunningStunt

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update:

Decided to buy all parts Tuesday and I went with:

Moog UCA's
Moog LCA Ball Joints - bought a press kit and cheap ball joint separator
Moog Tie rod ends
Mevo stabilizer links Front and Rear
Moog Sway Bar Bushing kit
Powerstop Z23 Brake Kit w/ ceramic pads

Got everything for around 800 bucks and am excited as hell to put these on!

Any input from experienced members? Just want to make sure I am not missing anything while shes out of commission

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
That should be a fun day! GL

OP
OP
CunningStunt

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That should be a fun day! GL
Oh no sir....itll be a fun WEEKEND ha - I do my own mechanical work often but never undertook a project like this before. Ive done control arms on a daewoo once but never overhauled the front suspension of my trucks before...looking forward to the learning experience though!

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
just go slow, and take pictures of anything complicated so you can see how it used to be. I've done suspensions before, but never on a truck. From what I've seen in videos, the UCAs should be easy once you have the shocks out. Lowers should be easy too. A can of liquid wrench type solution would be advisable. Youtube can be your friend, too

JSVT3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get some crowfoot wrenches for the rear Bilstein install. Makes it muchhhhh easier in my opinion. :birgits_tiredcoffee

Z mann R2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get some crowfoot wrenches for the rear Bilstein install. Makes it muchhhhh easier in my opinion. :birgits_tiredcoffee

Man I did the rears in minutes.....a good impact wrench and you're golden!

The fronts however! Especially if theyre rusted, SUUUUCCKKSS. Taking that factory nut off the top of the strut was impossible....so I drilled through it.

Z mann R2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also, remember to go rent some strut spring compressors from your local autozone....its free

OP
OP
CunningStunt

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also, remember to go rent some strut spring compressors from your local autozone....its free
Yeah, I went ahead and bought a set when I bought the bil's...a few months ago haha

OP
OP
CunningStunt

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ebVlMgXDgar93tMm1

Santa clause came early!! Still waiting on brake kit and one ball joint for LCA
ebVlMgXDgar93tMm1

OP
OP
CunningStunt

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got the front bills on last night - 2.8 and feels great! Also got sway links and new UCA's installed...worked on her for over 10 hours!!! Worth it though. Here's before and after pics.

IMG_20171216_110836.jpg IMG_20171217_121225.jpg IMG_20171216_110847.jpg IMG_20171217_121153.jpg

OP
OP
CunningStunt

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So it was a day job :) congrats
Touche good sir

I found a 20 dollar set of pass through ratchet and it was the tool of the night brother. Especially that upper strut nut/hex head shenanigan...

Also found that removing the upper ball joint just requires 5 mins of patient tapping all around with a bit of silicone wd40. The first one about made me throw my Bils across my yard ha

I don't know if I'm gonna be able to wait till I HAVE to get new tires...I already want more another inch or two!

Z mann R2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What was the most difficult part for you? For me it was removing the rusty ass old strut upper nut

Stick a 1.5” Zone body lift on that bad boy!

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
Z... That really sounds like my plan. Bils plus the zone lift.

OP
OP
CunningStunt

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What was the most difficult part for you? For me it was removing the rusty ass old strut upper nut

Stick a 1.5” Zone body lift on that bad boy!

Hardest part was getting the passenger sway bar link out. Shoulda removed both tires and disconnected sway bars and replaced them first but hindsight...ya know!

I'm probably gonna be satisfied with a slightly bigger and a little more aggressive tire. I drove 50k miles last year and will easily pull 30k a year on average so don't wanna sacrifice too much mpg...unless I but something else as my daily driver...:driver:

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
what bow you shooting, Cunning?

OP
OP
CunningStunt

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
what bow you shooting, Cunning?
Bowtech Reign 6 60lb

Just started deer hunting about 5 yrs ago and got interested in bowhunting when I got out of the navy in 2015. I finally pulled the trigger on getting a bow beginning of October. Went to a shop and shot a ton of bows and could not be happier with my bow.

I LOVE just shooting it...The time change has robbed me of daylight after work though, so I dont get to practice except on weekends now.

What weaponry are you sporting? I hiked the Appalachian trail with my buddy from the submarine we served on, and hes from Sparta WI and told me stories and showed me pics of GIANT deer he's bagged...compared to what I had been hunting on my Florida Lease.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lasse452