Back Up Camera grid lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

911ems

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 14 1500 with the back up camera in the rear view mirror. I had the moving grid lines on the camera until I took it to the dealer a few weeks ago for the airbag recall and a brake controller program. I noticed when I drove home some of the settings on the evic were reset to default, figured it was just from the flash. Then I noticed the lines were gone. I searched all over the menu and owners manual for a setting but can’t find anything. The camera works fine, just the grid lines are gone. I have the 3.0 radio and nothing in those menus also. Tried calling the dealer a few times but no return call, and they’re an hour away :/ thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have a 14 1500 with the back up camera in the rear view mirror. I had the moving grid lines on the camera until I took it to the dealer a few weeks ago for the airbag recall and a brake controller program. I noticed when I drove home some of the settings on the evic were reset to default, figured it was just from the flash. Then I noticed the lines were gone. I searched all over the menu and owners manual for a setting but can’t find anything. The camera works fine, just the grid lines are gone. I have the 3.0 radio and nothing in those menus also. Tried calling the dealer a few times but no return call, and they’re an hour away :/ thoughts?

I have a '14 1500 with the backup camera and the on/off for the moving grid lines in in one of the setup menus on my radio. (The 5" screen, I forget the R number).

-K

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
On the larger 8.4" screen, there are some settings that allow you to make some adjustments for the grid lines. Hopefully its that simple for you as well.

If not, I've seen on other forums the solution can sometimes be a loose camera connection. You could try disconnecting the camera carefully (wiring is underneath the bottom, center of the tailgate), cleaning the connector up, maybe throw some dielectric grease at it (but not too much of course), and plug it all back together nicely. I've seen it, its a pain to get apart, but it can be done.

OP
OP

911ems

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven’t played with the connection yet, easy enough to try. I figured there would be some setting options for it but no such luck it seems. I figured I wouldn’t miss it much but I like the lines for backing up to the trailer.

firebuff17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldn’t bother trying the connection in the tailgate. It’s a software issue. Not hardware issue.
It’s in the software that is stored in the evic/radio. Might need to reset the truck. Disconnecting the negative for about 10-20 minutes and reconnecting. You may loose all other settings at the same time but you might get the camera grid lines back.

OP
OP

911ems

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Software would make more sense. When they did the reflash it had rest all my settings so I figured the camera setting was part of it. It’d be easier if I didn’t have the base model radio.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
It's possible that whatever update they did to the BCM and brake controller doesn't match the SW version on the radio. There have been people who have had issues with the grid lines that were fixed but updating the radio SW.

The specific connection that controls the grid lines on 13-17 trucks is the Lin Bus CBC 3 which starts at the BCM pin C5/E-45 (org/DB) wire. You can see a schematic linked in post 10 of the backup camera thread and RLK's issue about it looked in t the troubleshooting section ...

See:
http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?p=974372

M² Mods - From my non Flammable S7!

Last edited:
OP
OP

911ems

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting. Looks like I do have an update available, I’ll check into the diy for that if the battery restart doesn’t work. Thanks!

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you ever get the active gridlines back ?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk