Back up camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I have a 2013 Big Horn with the 8.4 UConnect radio. I do not have the backup camera. Can you tell me where the camera goes? Does it mount to the bumper? Do I need a hole in bumper for camera? Im seriously looking into doing this to my truck.

You get the OEM or after market Kit. It comes with hanle w/built in camera and wiring harness
Check with your dealer for install price and part.. Mine was 525$ installed, flashed and the kit , BUT some dealers charge up to 1k $ from what I have heard

OEM
OEM MOPAR Backup Camera for RAM 82214240 | TascaParts.com

After market
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-B11nwdw7JNc/p_249RCH75DC/Crux-RVCCH-75DC-Backup-Camera-System.html

http://www.autozone.com/safety-and-...ada-backup-camera/477344_0_0/?cmpid=PS:3:1:90

Last edited:

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, just to clear this up lol...

There is NO factory backup camera option for a 3rd gen truck. There is NO dealer flashing of anything involving a backup camera because one was never offered for a 3rd gen truck. All of the Mopar factory backup camera kits that replace the tailgate handle are strictly for 4th gen trucks. They will not work on a 3rd gen, either electrically or physically.

Since there's a lot of talk in this thread of both 3rd and 4th gen trucks, and the options are completely different, it was beginning to get a little convoluted.

To add a backup camera to a 3rd gen, you will have to go with aftermarket. So either use a in dash double din radio as the screen, a standalone screen, or one of the rear view mirror screens. Blackbeauty, since you're not changing out your radio and you have one of the nice auto dimming mirrors, I'd just go with the standalone screen type. Personally I don't like the wireless ones because of interference issues.

A while back I was hunting for a backup camera that was thin enough to mount into that plastic "spoiler" thing at the top of the tailgate and there was a thread on here somewhere of someone who did just that. The angle of that spoiler points the camera right down toward the hitch area. It kinda took a back seat to some other projects though and I never got around to doing it.

OP
OP
blackbeautyhemi

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Ok, just to clear this up lol...

There is NO factory backup camera option for a 3rd gen truck. There is NO dealer flashing of anything involving a backup camera because one was never offered for a 3rd gen truck. All of the Mopar factory backup camera kits that replace the tailgate handle are strictly for 4th gen trucks. They will not work on a 3rd gen, either electrically or physically.

Since there's a lot of talk in this thread of both 3rd and 4th gen trucks, and the options are completely different, it was beginning to get a little convoluted.

To add a backup camera to a 3rd gen, you will have to go with aftermarket. So either use a in dash double din radio as the screen, a standalone screen, or one of the rear view mirror screens. Blackbeauty, since you're not changing out your radio and you have one of the nice auto dimming mirrors, I'd just go with the standalone screen type. Personally I don't like the wireless ones because of interference issues.

A while back I was hunting for a backup camera that was thin enough to mount into that plastic "spoiler" thing at the top of the tailgate and there was a thread on here somewhere of someone who did just that. The angle of that spoiler points the camera right down toward the hitch area. It kinda took a back seat to some other projects though and I never got around to doing it.

That's a good idea mounting it on the spoiler. I ended up ordering that yada kit that was mentioned and it looks to have a small camera that I could possibly mount there. Thanks for your input.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's a good idea mounting it on the spoiler. I ended up ordering that yada kit that was mentioned and it looks to have a small camera that I could possibly mount there. Thanks for your input.

No problem. Those wireless ones can be nice as long as the transmitters are powerful enough. It definitely makes the install easier by not having to run that cable from the back to the front.

OP
OP
blackbeautyhemi

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
No problem. Those wireless ones can be nice as long as the transmitters are powerful enough. It definitely makes the install easier by not having to run that cable from the back to the front.

Yea I was hesitant on the wireless but figured I'd give it a try since it was said to be good and has good reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

akennedyusmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was about to order it. I'll just wait to see how you like yours now.
And what spoiler thing are you guys talking about?

akennedyusmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh my bad my truck didn't come with that. Thought he was talking about 4th gens for a minute since they have a huge lip on their tailgates

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I will be keeping on eye on your comments about the YADA.. If real good i may add it to my Chevy HHR . Hope you like it and the install video is way easier then installing a OEM lol

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For those of you that have backup cameras, I have a general question about the field of view. I have a 2008 1500, and I'm getting close to doing a full Mygig RER install. I would like to have a backup camera, and the lockpick has inputs for it. If possible, I would like to mount the camera next to the license plate, where the trailer wiring harness receptacle usually goes. You can see in the photo below that I just have a plastic filler in that spot currently. I could easily drill the hole in that cover and pop the camera in there.

My concern is that it's too close to the license plate light. I'm worried that the camera view will only show the light and bumper on that one side. Furthermore, i'm worried that the license plate light will blind the camera at night. Can anyone give their thoughts on mounting and field of view in this situation?

IMG_1234.jpg

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
For those of you that have backup cameras, I have a general question about the field of view. I have a 2008 1500, and I'm getting close to doing a full Mygig RER install. I would like to have a backup camera, and the lockpick has inputs for it. If possible, I would like to mount the camera next to the license plate, where the trailer wiring harness receptacle usually goes. You can see in the photo below that I just have a plastic filler in that spot currently. I could easily drill the hole in that cover and pop the camera in there.

My concern is that it's too close to the license plate light. I'm worried that the camera view will only show the light and bumper on that one side. Furthermore, i'm worried that the license plate light will blind the camera at night. Can anyone give their thoughts on mounting and field of view in this situation?

IMG_1234.jpg

Good question.. I have the OEM in the handle and it is bright at night.. So not sure if mounted on th eplate would be too bright.. Most of the kits show the camera mounted on the plate with no issues.. I would go to You Tube and check out the videos on the after market camera's.. That may help as well , and I am sure several here have installed on the plate.. I am interested in the answers as well, as I want to ad a Camera to my HHR and it will be after market

OP
OP
blackbeautyhemi

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Got my kit today, hoping to install it tomorrow, looks like it's of good quality. Just wondering if someone can tell me what wire is what as in the reverse light wire and the ground?

akennedyusmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would hook up to your reverse bulb on either driver side or passenger side. Your trailer wire harness doesn't have a reverse light. And you can just screw into the frame for ground. On the trailer harness the white wire is the ground.
Let us know how they turn out! If you say they're good that means I'll be gettin them as well.

OP
OP
blackbeautyhemi

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I would hook up to your reverse bulb on either driver side or passenger side. Your trailer wire harness doesn't have a reverse light. And you can just screw into the frame for ground. On the trailer harness the white wire is the ground.
Let us know how they turn out! If you say they're good that means I'll be gettin them as well.

Yea I planned to hook straight to the reverse light, just needed to know which wires were which. Other than that it seems real easy to do cause that's the only wiring that needs done.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Should be light green. Gray is usually written in schematics as "GY"

As far as the ground, don't tap it into another ground wire. Tap it into the frame somewhere. The camera doesn't hardly draw any power so even any piece of metal that is attached to the frame at some point should work fine. However if you do this and have picture issues you may just have to ground it to the frame.

OP
OP
blackbeautyhemi

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Awesome thanks for the help guys. Exactly what I was looking for. I think I'll just take your advice and take the ground to the frame without trying the ground wire.

OP
OP
blackbeautyhemi

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Install was easy. It was a white/light green wire like the diagram showed. I ended up grounding it to the plug cause the wire is all in one coating and didn't really have a way of getting it to the frame. As soon as I plugged the monitor in and put it in reverse the camera came on. Didn't even need to pair it. Here's a quick pic of the monitor it's better looking in person, just a pic off my iPhone. Could be mounted a little higher than the license plate bracket that it comes with but I can see the ball on the receiver so it'll work fine.
IMG_3017.JPG

Last edited:

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Looks like a good pic.. No guide lines ? Not really needed but curious.. You can not beat that price :0 I may get one for my HHR :)