Backfiring and idling low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tannercruse10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
I recently changed my spark plugs and wires because cylinder 7 was misfiring and after I did that my truck was backfiring so I messed with the distributor and got the truck to stop backfiring so bad but it still backfires and idles really low.. any suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Sounds like a timing issue, did you put the wires back correctly? Check them again, I’ve done that a few times on some of my previous vehicles and swore up and down I had them correct but I was wrong on a couple occasions.

OP
OP
T

tannercruse10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Sounds like a timing issue, did you put the wires back correctly? Check them again, I’ve done that a few times on some of my previous vehicles and swore up and down I had them correct but I was wrong on a couple occasions.

I will check them again to double check thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
You cannot hand time these engines with the distributor, as long as the distributor is within 10 degrees of being correct, it won't have a timing issue this bad. They are computer controlled. Fuel sync is adjusted by rotating the distributor but that must be done with a proper tool. Have you ever repaired the plenum? Are any other spark plugs fouled up? Does it eat oil?

Dan98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You cannot hand time these engines with the distributor, as long as the distributor is within 10 degrees of being correct, it won't have a timing issue this bad. They are computer controlled. Fuel sync is adjusted by rotating the distributor but that must be done with a proper tool. Have you ever repaired the plenum? Are any other spark plugs fouled up? Does it eat oil?
Yeah you should always double check wires on cap and plugs after replacing. Hope you replace all 8 plus cap and rotor?? Distributor doesn't move its self besides timing would be dramatically off more than u could adjust to get a backfire.

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

Bill Blackmon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wires on Dodge trucks should never be running parallel and touching. On top of the distributor from the factory they wrapped spark plug wires with plastic wire looms over the distributor. If the wires are parallel and touching you will get cross arcing and misfires. Dodge issued a paper stating spark plug wires should be perpendicular if they cross. Check and see if you have these looms on the wires on top of the distributor where they come out of the boot or wires touching each other as they are routed to the plugs.

Chuck962500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Plenum. Take a extention magnet down through throttle body should stick to bottom of intake manifold thats a steel plenum plate they need to be replaced or you will smoke your cat and get misfires and bad mpg rough idles etc

20210221_173834.jpg

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wires on Dodge trucks should never be running parallel and touching. On top of the distributor from the factory they wrapped spark plug wires with plastic wire looms over the distributor. If the wires are parallel and touching you will get cross arcing and misfires. Dodge issued a paper stating spark plug wires should be perpendicular if they cross. Check and see if you have these looms on the wires on top of the distributor where they come out of the boot or wires touching each other as they are routed to the plugs.
Now that is some cheap assed plug wires if they're leaking(spark jumping from one to another)when they're new and clean.If they're any good they should be able to lay on each other from one end to the other.