Bad Battery screw up engine/trans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had a issue show up this weekend twice.... Once at home where I had the truck off and the door open for about 15 minutes and the other while at a accident scene last night with the hazards on for about 30 or so min.

diagnosis is obvious that I need a new battery, but after jumping it it ran like it was on 6 cylinders and got me wondering, just how sensitive are these engines and trans to run correctly if they are not receiving the proper voltage or have a draw down like I have? Could this be what causes my intermittent trans issue where one day it runs like a ***** ape and another it feels like I'm towing a RV

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Insufficient voltage in the system can affect the CANBUS system and associated modules, like the PCM and TCM. Since everything is served by a module and there is a harness and sensor going to major components, low voltage would definitely be a problem.

More than likely, though, such a voltage drop would register a code. So if you get a new battery, leave the truck disconnected from power for at least 30 minutes to clear any latent codes before you power it up.

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Insufficient voltage in the system can affect the CANBUS system and associated modules, like the PCM and TCM. Since everything is served by a module and there is a harness and sensor going to major components, low voltage would definitely be a problem.

More than likely, though, such a voltage drop would register a code. So if you get a new battery, leave the truck disconnected from power for at least 30 minutes to clear any latent codes before you power it up.

This is what puzzles me, there is no CEL code... wonder if there is a Soft code that I can view on a scanner but not showing with the idiot lights.

I'll have a gelcell batt on order in a few minutes when I find the best deal to ship to my house.... Most likely Oddesy or a Optima, but neither make a 94r specific battery of course

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yeah...a "soft code" or latent code won't light up the CEL but it's still there.

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As I'm researching batteries I find it odd that none of the sealed units I seem to find have anything for the HEMI or the vendors I am looking at suck and cant list things correctly.... or I'm just ******** and cant internet today

Hydrasport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The battery in my 2013 was getting weak. I could tell that cold starts were a little slow and the radio seemed to reboot. Checked the amps and they were low so I purchased a AGM platinum battery from Advanced auto the same day. Got a $50 coupon and ended up spending $185.

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The battery in my 2013 was getting weak. I could tell that cold starts were a little slow and the radio seemed to reboot. Checked the amps and they were low so I purchased a AGM platinum battery from Advanced auto the same day. Got a $50 coupon and ended up spending $185.

I may look into that one, pretty sure I will go with the Odyssey that grizzstang posted. The strange thing is my truck can sit all weekend and start just fine, day to day start just fine, leave the door open or hazards on for a few min and it dies...... jump start is, run for 5 min shut off come back a few hours later and starts right up no problem no hard start..... Its not like any dying battery I've ever had... and the batt is only 3 year old, actually 2 years and 11 months....
I'm going to stop and load test it on the way home at the auto store

reb0957

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
I just went through this a couple of weeks ago. Pep Boys Autozone Orelly & dealer all said starter. I kept thinking battery. Changed starter same ****. Throwing codes service shift selector all kinds of lights. Change battery NO MORE PROBLEM

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
The AGM battery that most Advance/Oreillys/Carquest sell is a rebadged EastPenn/Deka battery. Good stuff!

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Odyssey is expensive but IMO they are worth it. I replaced two batteries in my old F150 that made it about two years each then I put my Odyssey in (with 4 year full replacement warranty) and it was still going strong at 6 years when I sold it.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine died a few months ago - Autozone machine said battery was fine, truck would not hold a charge. Bought a battery at the dealer for $126, changed in parking lot and it has ran perfect since.

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Odyssey is expensive but IMO they are worth it. I replaced two batteries in my old F150 that made it about two years each then I put my Odyssey in (with 4 year full replacement warranty) and it was still going strong at 6 years when I sold it.

Honestly they aren't too much more, a basic battery is about $206, I found a Odyssey on amazon for $226 and free shipping, not really worth going any other way IMO.
If I don't wait for the amazon that will take more than a week to get to me, I can get one at Summit for $268 and free shipping. Still not that much more.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Honestly they aren't too much more, a basic battery is about $206, I found a Odyssey on amazon for $226 and free shipping, not really worth going any other way IMO.
If I don't wait for the amazon that will take more than a week to get to me, I can get one at Summit for $268 and free shipping. Still not that much more.

Local dealer had Mopar factory one for $126

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Local dealer had Mopar factory one for $126

I wish.... add the cali price increase to that and they are all about 200... Everything is stupid expensive in this state.... I did just find it at 4wheelparts for $226. So I'm just going to go pick one up local and go with that....
It amazes me the difference in price through out the internet and even local places for the same product...
The dealer was cheaper though than local stores for basic batteries though which isn't common

barry hanna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We should probably change batteries at 4 yrs regardless of mileage. Since forever I have used a CTEK float charger to keep things topped off and never had a problem. I know, that’s a lot of trouble but since so many things on these “rolling computers” are so sensitive to battery condition I’d rather be safe than stuck somewhere. Take a look at some high-end import cars and you’ll see them replacing batteries almost yearly.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Holy crap......have batteries gotten expensive!

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My buddy has had Optima batteries back when Gates owned them, last about 10-12 years and he said one of his had gone flat a bunch of times. I've got a handful of yellow-tops and they're in the 8 year range, still going strong. But then again, I've gotten 8-9 years out of regular flooded lead/acid batteries too and you can buy a really good one around here for 100 bucks ..and less even less for lower quality. (I don't know where you're coming up with $200). I'd be looking for a battery with 'thicker' plates, not thinner like some advertise. Thinner means less life. Are you using LED's in emergency lights?

Oh, it's not just Rams that run suspect on low batteries. I've had it happen on other makes even 10 years or more ago.
Battery Price_Blains.jpg

Last edited: