Bad egr valve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2005 3rd gen Hemi lifted

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok guys, my check engine light has been coming on for a while now saying my egr valve is bad! Iv already bought the new part! But what exactly is the valve for? And does it hurt my fuel mileage and horsepower?? The weird thing is that the check engine light stays on all the time but will sometimes go off on it's own but will soon return! I did have the bully dog triple gt tuner on for about a year it made my o2 sencer go bad an the light would stay on! But I took the tuner off and now it just shows the egr!

OP
OP

2005 3rd gen Hemi lifted

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah it's p0406 it's been on a while. But it comes on then goes off, just came back on this morning! Idk what the deal is! But if it's a bad part I heard it will rob your fuel mileage and hurt your horsepower a little! My o2 senior came back on to. The driver side after the cat. Iv already changed it but it came back on so it's prob bad cats! Who knows...

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
I just took mine off, added a block off plate, had a cmr tune written (well added to the existing tune) to remove the cel....... haven't had an issue yet. If you do it through, be sure you don't live in an inspection state.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The CEL for the EGR would randomly come on in my 4.7 too...the only noticeable things the engine would do was it would jerk a little bit between 40-45 MPH. I had my buddy change it, cause theyre a PITA with the 4.7's...reset the PCM and hadn't had an issue since.

OP
OP

2005 3rd gen Hemi lifted

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I'm changing mine out Tom or Monday, hopefully it will help. I feel it idle weird sometimes

redram2007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You Hemi guys are so lucky in many ways... #1 is the freakin HP/TQ vs the 4.7. Yet another is the fact that your egr valves (if equipped) is right in the front (i think) opposed to the 4.7. It is crammed up against the firewall between the VC and intake manifold. Not to mention all the crap in the way to get to it. I so wish i had went with the 2wd Hemi vs the 4wd 4.7 that i had to choose from at the time (I live in Colorado) so i chose the 4wd. I've got so much $$$$$$$$ into this 4.7 it would take weeks to remove all my mods and go back to stock to trade it in. Not to mention i would have lost so much in mods if i did that, so i'll just have to keep my sluggish 4.7. :sad72:

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Yep its nice on the 04 up rams to do a quick EGR delete, frees up so much room on the pass side

sear386

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
EGR Delete ????

Yep its nice on the 04 up rams to do a quick EGR delete, frees up so much room on the pass side

Why would you want to delete the egr valve? This is what helps cool down the intake charge so that the cylinder pressures dont get too hot and cause engine knock = knock sensor then ******* timing losing HP

Just saying

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Why would you want to delete the egr valve? This is what helps cool down the intake charge so that the cylinder pressures dont get too hot and cause engine knock = knock sensor then ******* timing losing HP

Just saying
Actually egr is there to reduce NOx emissions which are created when there is an excess of O2 and high temps. Recirculating exhaust gas into the intake charge dilutes this charge meaning less oxygen to react and form oxides. Theoretically having a functional egr could improve mpgs very slightly but under no condition will it make more power. You are removing fuel and oxygen to make room for spent exhaust gas.

sktan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Actually egr is there to reduce NOx emissions which are created when there is an excess of O2 and high temps. Recirculating exhaust gas into the intake charge dilutes this charge meaning less oxygen to react and form oxides. Theoretically having a functional egr could improve mpgs very slightly but under no condition will it make more power. You are removing fuel and oxygen to make room for spent exhaust gas.

It is a bad idea to remove EGR cooler and valve. If it comes to bad egr valve, you might have to replace the valve.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956