Bad motor 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Braydon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 with 5.7. When engine is cold there is a very loud clank from under the motor when motor is fully warmed the noise becomes all most unheard. Truck has 160,000 miles. I was running 5w-20 but switched to 0w-20 thinking maybe it was the oil being to thick but there was no change in noise the truck burns about a quart every 3000 miles I’d say. What cud this noise be it’s been like this for 3 years and is very embarrassing.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
Well if its been doing it for three years and it hasn't put you down yet.It could be anything from crank and cam bearings or connecting rods.When you change the oil you don't see metal filings and such ? I don't know what weight the manufacture calls for a 2008 hemi but 2005 4.7 calls for 5w30 you may like you said maybe too thin this is just a wild guess.I hate to be the one to tell you might need to be looking for another motor.

OP
OP
B

Braydon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I’m thinking so having a hard time finding a Mopar reman motor what the next best option for companys

OP
OP
B

Braydon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
LOOk like some good motor watched a couple YouTube vids on them anyone ever buy one of these motors

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Jasper is as good as you get they have been in business along time.They also have a great warrenty too.

OP
OP
B

Braydon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
HOW much you think I’m looking at for the motor and labor? Shops around here probably anywhere from 50-100 an hour for labor

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First I would check around and see if a garage that sells and installs Jasper engines .They might give you a good price on the engine and install .What I'm getting at if you buy the engine and do the work yourself and it gives you a problem they may not stand behind it.I don't know how long a Mopar remanufactured engine warrenty last and i they stand behind it if you don't go by how they warrant their product and don't go by the letter.

OP
OP
B

Braydon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I got that online is the 4249 price include all the below or is that just the motor and what’s the premium service plan? And there is no jasper manufacturer near me not within 100 mile would they allow a dealer to install?

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'd call them in your case and see what they have to say. I'm sure they can help you out.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I feel the same way give them a call .

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't go out and get a rebuilt motor from AutoZone they wont stand behind good.

OP
OP
B

Braydon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
BRINGing it to my mechanic Tuesday thinking I’m gonna need to buy a long block I can get one from molar for around 3500 and I’m hoping I can put a newer one without the valve train problems the 08 and earlier gen 3 hemis seen . Just can’t be vvt don’t think I can run that Spence mine is only mds.

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
BRINGing it to my mechanic Tuesday thinking I’m gonna need to buy a long block I can get one from molar for around 3500 and I’m hoping I can put a newer one without the valve train problems the 08 and earlier gen 3 hemis seen . Just can’t be vvt don’t think I can run that Spence mine is only mds.

Lots of posts about using the gen4 engine in the older trucks and how you are better off sticking with the 03-08 gen3 motor. Valvetrain issues are easily resolved and you can get rid of the MDS as well. Do some searching here on the forums for motor swaps from other years and look at some of the other threads in this section and you will find the information.

Gen4 engines have the same hemi tick that the G3 engines do anyhow. All you need to do is upgrade lifters, pushrods and valve springs and the problems go away.

OP
OP
B

Braydon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does mopar do this to there reman motors it’s shows that it replace a different stock number on there website

OP
OP
B

Braydon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
WEll mechanic looked at motor said definitely not sounding good thinks I’ve got some very bad piston slap told him I want to just junk the motor then looking at between 3500 to 4500 for the whole deal. Sound very responsible for a reman long block swap.