Bad PCM? I'm at a loss...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Jerseystyle

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Drove her around today. Went to Wally World and then picked my daughter up from day "camp".

No misfires or stuttering. Throttle response seemed ****** though. Beggars can't be choosers.

Maybe that's a tranny issue. I did put a bottle of Lucas tranny treatment in it. Maybe it's too thick....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jerseystyle

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So either my PCM just needed a hard reset or this stuff really works!

I've driven about 100 miles since adding this to a half tank of gas and haven't had any misfires, stumbling or bucking at all!c7e47cf71e3f03e9808d28487c68d552.jpg

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Great to hear! Hopefully this was the fix.

OP
OP
Jerseystyle

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We'll, the excitement was short lived. She stumbled a bit today while idling and while driving. Not much but noticeable. Only thing I did was get gas. I even sent with 93 this time. Maybe she doesn't like the expensive stuff ...

JohnnyMac

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
I had water in my boat's fuel tank at one point and it ran like crap intermittently kinda similar to what you're experiencing. I dumped a couple of those cheap "Heat" fuel additives into the tank and it seemed to take care of it. Might be a cheap test since it occurred after you fueled and since that last stuff you put in there seemed to help a little. Also, when you replaced the plugs/coils, did you replace the plug wires or check them out close? I know these may seem as grasping at straws, but like they say, when the **** that makes sense doesn't work, then you have to start being senseless... Good luck and keep us up to date on what you find.

OP
OP
Jerseystyle

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had water in my boat's fuel tank at one point and it ran like crap intermittently kinda similar to what you're experiencing. I dumped a couple of those cheap "Heat" fuel additives into the tank and it seemed to take care of it. Might be a cheap test since it occurred after you fueled and since that last stuff you put in there seemed to help a little. Also, when you replaced the plugs/coils, did you replace the plug wires or check them out close? I know these may seem as grasping at straws, but like they say, when the **** that makes sense doesn't work, then you have to start being senseless... Good luck and keep us up to date on what you find.
I'll try the HEAT stuff. I guess it won't hurt. I don't have any plug wires. Individual coils per cylinder that plug right onto the plugs.

JohnnyMac

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
I don't have any plug wires. Individual coils per cylinder that plug right onto the plugs.

Ah OK, I have no experience with the 4.7.

OP
OP
Jerseystyle

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ah OK, I have no experience with the 4.7.
After this truck I wish I didn't as well.

I guess the good news is I've learned way more about this motor than I ever wanted to.

OP
OP
Jerseystyle

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well finally got around to looking at the truck today. Last time I drove it she threw a P0582 which is the Cruise Control Vacuum circuit. Pulled the fender trim and checked the vacuum line and there doesn't appear to be a leak and there's a ton of vacuum. Ugh!

I think I'm going to cap the line and see if that affects driving. If it's a bad vacuum solenoid then it should drive fine with the line capped off. That's also assuming my miss is caused by that and not something else....

Last edited:

Thelegendl23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After this truck I wish I didn't as well.

I guess the good news is I've learned way more about this motor than I ever wanted to.

I owned the 4.7 for quite a while.. I hate to say it but my #1 on a 4.7 with stumbling issue is coil packs.. #2 Is fuel pump which you said you did I believe. #3 warped head... it's not as uncommon on that motor as it seems, its unlikely but you can do a compression test and find out.

Coil packs with water in them, never right again until replaced new from mopar.

OP
OP
Jerseystyle

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I owned the 4.7 for quite a while.. I hate to say it but my #1 on a 4.7 with stumbling issue is coil packs.. #2 Is fuel pump which you said you did I believe. #3 warped head... it's not as uncommon on that motor as it seems, its unlikely but you can do a compression test and find out.

Coil packs with water in them, never right again until replaced new from mopar.
Replaced both #1 and #2.

I would think a warped head would be constant though. It's really hit or miss (no pun intended). Sometimes she runs great other times you wonder if you'll make it down the street.

Hexxus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To me it sounds 02 sensor related. Like when it goes into closed loop , the fuel system goes crazy. Similar thing happened to my hemi ram when I called it. Once it went into closed loop, the thing would barely idle. It was a downstream 02 sensor. And to touch on the prior post. Aftermarket sensors are junk. I’m a firm believer in the Mopar sensors going back on the car. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve fixed a car or truck here at the shop by replacing a newly replaced auto zone/orielly part with a Mopar part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a problem with my truck, I found your post and it sounds like maybe it might help me. My check engine light came on and it was something about catalytic convertor or a sensor. Now today I am getting a flashing check engine light and a p0300. The truck seems to idle fine and when coasting but under load I get the code but only sometimes. Like it was happening while I was in town but I cleared the codes and drove home with no problems.

Also, while in town I noticed the remote wasn't working. I was at walmart so replaced the battery and even then it wasn't working. Now that I am home, the remote works fine. Maybe something related to the codes I cleared.