Bad Smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Noticed something a few days ago..

Smells like rotting meat or something inside the cab occasionally, really bad. I read about the rubber hoses reacting with the coolant, but that was in 14 and 15, figured that would be fixed by 16.. However I DO NOT smell it from the engine compartment, and I DO NOT smell it through any vents when the system is turned on.. ANy ideas?

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Bad smell inside the cab is usually some nasty stuff inside the aircon, bt this seems not to be your case.
Other possible cause can be:
- leaking rear window or 3rd break light, water enters and soak rear floor
- bad cat create strong rotten egg smell, but you should smell it from the exhaust. A leak may leak the smell inside the cabin
- forgotten meat under the seat (happend to me, felt out of the shopping bag and i realized it next day when i wanted to cook it, was not rotten already)
Chris

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I wouldn't rule out a small dead animal somewhere. Especially common in the fall and early winter.

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bad smell inside the cab is usually some nasty stuff inside the aircon, bt this seems not to be your case.
Other possible cause can be:
- leaking rear window or 3rd break light, water enters and soak rear floor
- bad cat create strong rotten egg smell, but you should smell it from the exhaust. A leak may leak the smell inside the cabin
- forgotten meat under the seat (happend to me, felt out of the shopping bag and i realized it next day when i wanted to cook it, was not rotten already)
Chris

Everything is perfectly dry inside, Ye aI wondered about the meat also, because Ironically the first time we ever smelled it was the morning after going to the farmers market and getting fresh sausage, but we took that inside and put it in the fridge.
Absolutely no smell from vents at all, No smell from engine compartment, or outside of the truck..Weird!

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldn't rule out a small dead animal somewhere. Especially common in the fall and early winter.
Im really starting to lean this way, I'm running out of excuses.. we live in the middle of the woods and while its never happened before, I see mice all the time.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I would also check the cabin air filter! You may find it chewed up or a nest ! I never had it happen before either till this year ! I also live in a wooded area and those little ******** are always looking for a home :eek:

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Everything is perfectly dry inside, Ye aI wondered about the meat also, because Ironically the first time we ever smelled it was the morning after going to the farmers market and getting fresh sausage, but we took that inside and put it in the fridge.
Absolutely no smell from vents at all, No smell from engine compartment, or outside of the truck..Weird!

Well, at this point
- you drive by a place where a dead animal is on the side of the road and the smell comes thru the vents or open window
- you have a dead animal inside the cabin
- you have a dead saussage inside the cabin
- your heat exchanger is leaking; check the smell of your coolant
- Cabin filter should not be the case as you exclude that the smell comes from the vents
- dead meat inside the cabin should stink always, particularly when the car is locked with closed windows
- previous owner commited suicide inside and his body was days inside the car, this smell is really hard to get rid of (had this issue in a really cheap e-tape jaguar i wanted to buy)
Try to notice when the bad smell occurs, this may help to trace the reason of it.

Chris

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, at this point
- you drive by a place where a dead animal is on the side of the road and the smell comes thru the vents or open window
- you have a dead animal inside the cabin
- you have a dead saussage inside the cabin
- your heat exchanger is leaking; check the smell of your coolant
- Cabin filter should not be the case as you exclude that the smell comes from the vents
- dead meat inside the cabin should stink always, particularly when the car is locked with closed windows
- previous owner commited suicide inside and his body was days inside the car, this smell is really hard to get rid of (had this issue in a really cheap e-tape jaguar i wanted to buy)
Try to notice when the bad smell occurs, this may help to trace the reason of it.

Chris

It is most noticeable when sitting overnight (windows, and obviously doors closed)
Had it about a month ago and it went away for a while and now its back.. It has to be a critter somewhere.

malatu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L Pentastar
Every so often when my wife is with me she complains of a foul smell. I giggle and say, "pardon me" and roll down the window. It eventually goes away! : )

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
happened twice to me. dead mouse in the bracket that held the console to the floor.Took all the seats out, pulled up carpet finally got it under the console. took 4 hours. Im my mustang conv, a mouse got inside the metal tube frame conv top about 3/4" ID,took a few days for me to find it, flys were coming out of the tube when i put the top down. nasty

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you park on a hill or angle? The a/c box may not drain out if you park at an angle. Even after a good rain, some may get in there. I've got a car like that ...and I park on a hill. Mold can grow at the bottom and then it smells funny ...but more musty than animal. Could also be a mouse like you say. They don't like the smell of dryer sheets, so put a couple under your seats.

You could put out a glue board trap too. If there are any mice, you'll catch them and at least you'll know what it is.

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
For what it's worth, I once had a squirrel get way up inside my fender, and right back near the firewall. Managed to get him out with a lot of effort (makes for a great story at parties).
But I can imagine what the result would have been if he'd stayed in there and died.

Could be what's going on in your case. Squirrel or mouse dead somewhere in/near your firewall.

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I havent checked the firewall, so thats an option. It clears out quickly with the window down / doors open etc.. Vents / heat on, it clear it up pretty quick/ I have looked everywhere I know of, Minus the few last suggestions here, so Ill check those tonight when I get home!

Quint

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7L v8 eTorque
When I was a kid, my grandmother loaned her Buick to my mother for a few months. The smell got worse and worse. My mom cleaned it multiple times, used air fresheners, kept the windows open, etc. Finally she discovered that an onion had rolled out of my grandmother's grocery bag before she left town. It was nasty. Smelled like a dead animal. It's a funny family story now!