Bad vibrations had me chasing my tail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rmck85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Just wanted to share since I spent countless hours chasing this problem. I would get an intermittent vibration that felt like wheel out of balance on my 98 Ram 1500 4x4. Sometimes at low speeds around 25-35mph, then around 60-70mph. So I had tires rebalanced. Problem was still there. I rotated the tires in case it was a shifted belt, still felt it. The trans mount had play so I replaced that. Still had a problem. The front end is tight, the rods, control arms, ball joints, everything is tight. Drive shaft universal joints are fine. So what is it???

I went to the internet forum mechanics and some said roadbalance tires. Many who did still had problem. So I didn't waste my time or money. I kept digging deeper.

I went to my buddy's shop and we put it on the rack. Lifted the truck on axles and checked it thoroughly again. We found the culprit. The front axle uv joints are shot. The drivers side has so much play I'm surprised it hasn't grenaded yet. To do them you have to pull the hub bearings so I decided to get new ones along with new axle seals since I'm going this far.

So the point to the post, if you are having a vibration and you know front end is tight, drive shaft is good, and tires are balanced, check your front axle UV joints.

OP
OP
Rmck85

Rmck85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
I thought for certain I had the problem solved. I do not. I'm at wits end

ad80721

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Check your U joint in your rear driveshaft. I have a 2004 and I noticed the same problem. Raise the rear axle on jackstands, put the transmission in neutral (engine NOT running), then by hand rotate the driveshaft first observing each of the u joints. You will see the slop if they are bad. When I checked mine I didn't see the slop, but when I pulled the shaft off I noticed the front u joint was binding bad. I still changed both joints and never felt the problem again. Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mop

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It really depends on what you mean by vibration. These trucks, especially the 4x4s are known for death wobble. 2WD can get it too if there is play in the idler arm or the pitman arm.

I'm also surprised the carrier bearing hasn't been looked at or listed in your original post. Especially because you looked at the u-joints. The rubber bushings give out and allows the driveshaft to wobble. Mine is due for replacement in a little while. I notice vibration while my head is loaded down. Mine is a sideways vibration.

ad80721

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a vibration in my rear driveshaft due to a binding u joint. There was no slop but it was starting to go bad. I bet if he removes the shaft and checks the flexibility in the transmission yoke he will find his problem

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Rmck85

Rmck85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
I still have it apart but here is where I'm at. New front axle u-joints, new front control arms, new steering shaft, new motor mounts, new brake calipers, hoses, lines, drums, new shocks, new sway bar bushings and end links, new trans lines, fluid, filter, gov pressure sensor and switch, new trans mount, new radiator, new water pump, new tune up, valve cover gaskets, plenum and intake gaskets, injector o-rings, and tires less than 2 years old and under 10k miles.

The rear shaft doesn't have a carrier bearing, it's a 2 joint shaft. Reg cab 8' bed. The u-joints have been replaced prior to me buying the truck back. I looked inside the rear, some bearing material on magnet and play in the carrier (open rear) but ring and pinion seem to be good.

I ran the truck on jack stands and the vibration is horrible, coming from rear of truck. I pulled the drive shaft and one of the cap retainers was broken on the yoke. So I'm wondering if the cap walked out enough that the shaft was vibrating. I have a new u-joint to install after I finish getting the front end back together.

If the truck is still vibrating violently, I am going to go through every tire on the rear and see if the problem goes away on a tire relation. I have had them balanced 4 times and problem persists. Also going to get truck realigned now that the front control arms are replaced and the truck has new shocks. I'll be back with my findings

ouch1011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
If it has a vibration you can replicate in the air and you believe it is coming from the rear end, take the wheels off and run it without. Just put a couple lugnnut back on to hold the drums on. If it still vibrates, take the drums off and try it again (just DO NOT step on the brake pedal) Drums can and do get out of balance. If it still vibrates after that, you've narrowed it down to the drivetrain.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963