"bag over" vs coil over

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How hard would it be to fab something up like this:
image1.jpeg

Or are they sold somewhere for our trucks? What would be the benefits or cons to something like this? Would it allow a 4wd with 2" drop spindles to lay low while parked if you aired them down? :crazy:

Milt IV

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ridetech makes Shockwaves for the front and coolrides for the rear for our trucks. Look them up.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ridetech makes Shockwaves for the front and coolrides for the rear for our trucks. Look them up.

I have two main issues with the Ridetech system.

First, they claim it's a 3/5 drop and they have no issues with the geometry. That's BS because even at a 2/4 the geometry is a problem.

Secondly, Their kit requires you to take a pretty good chunk out of the front of your frame where the bumpstop is. Go read their installation instructions, it's a good sized piece.

OP
OP
usaf2006

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you ran 2" drop spindles, and some custom "bag overs" (gonna patent that term :crazy:) couldnt you get it close to frame on ground with no air in the bags? Would you need any other support without coil overs up front? I don't see why you would.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If you ran 2" drop spindles, and some custom "bag overs" (gonna patent that term :crazy:) couldnt you get it close to frame on ground with no air in the bags? Would you need any other support without coil overs up front? I don't see why you would.

You're talking about actually putting the frame on the ground? Yea, not gonna happen with stock suspension geometry.

OP
OP
usaf2006

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
is Z'ing the frame the only way to do it, or will that not work with a 4wd

Milt IV

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have two main issues with the Ridetech system.

First, they claim it's a 3/5 drop and they have no issues with the geometry. That's BS because even at a 2/4 the geometry is a problem.

Secondly, Their kit requires you to take a pretty good chunk out of the front of your frame where the bumpstop is. Go read their installation instructions, it's a good sized piece.

I actually downloaded that PDF this morning. That is a pretty nice chunk out of the frame to clear the bag. You're right about the geometry as well. There is no way you could get it to align properly at the 3/5 without some other modifications to the stock suspension.

Furthermore, I learned this morning the shockwave would not work on any 4th gen 4x4 due to the mounting of the air strut. The setup on the 2wd vs the 4x4 on the 4th gen is totally different. Spring and shock on 2wd vs strut on the 4x4, they both mount in different locations too. Shockwave is specifically designed to replace spring and shock applications, not struts.

Last edited:

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I actually downloaded that PDF this morning. That is a pretty nice chunk out of the frame to clear the bag. You're right about the geometry as well. There is no way you could get it to align properly at the 3/5 without some other modifications to the stock suspension.

Furthermore, I learned this morning the shockwave would not work on any 4th gen 4x4 due to the mounting of the air strut. The setup on the 2wd vs the 4x4 on the 4th gen is totally different. Spring and shock on 2wd vs strut on the 4x4, they both mount in different locations too. Shockwave is specifically designed to replace spring and shock applications, not struts.

Yup.

As a 4x4 though, you have the advantage of using coilovers. You can get custom ones made pretty easily, and I bet there are companies out there that will build you a custom air spring coilover.

OP
OP
usaf2006

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So it's similar to the first picture I posted? Seems pretty straight forward.

Even if I go 2/4 or 4/6 I would like to try air bags up front to see the ride quality. I would want to add air bags in the back for sure since I do some hauling from time to time, at most about 600 to 800 lbs of mulch.

I was just trying to find out of I could buy a set, or if it'd be more likely to have a set built. How does it work with alignment with air bags up front? Set it at the height you want then go to the alignment shop?

Thanks for your responses! Just trying to edu-macate myself here a bit.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yea, basically. You'll need one that's shorter for the ride height difference though. You want the bag to be almost fully inflated at ride height.

OP
OP
usaf2006

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Shorter bag as in shorter than my current strut? I figured as much. I found one that runs about 10" fully inflated, so you would add the heigh of the plates, the shaft and the the fork to the center of the bolt holes right? Sounds pretty easy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morgansamuel