Ball joints

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bking99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New member, first post but I've been browsing these forums for a long time. Have a question about how to tell if the shop that replaced my ball joints actually did in fact replace them... are there any identifying features or markings on the stock ball joints that would indicate what I currently have installed is aftermarket versus original? I recently found out that the upper ball joints cannot be replaced by themselves.. rather the entire upper control arm/ball joint is replaced as a unit, is this true? Because the control arms definitely do not look new. As for the lower, they are dirty and hard to tell if they were replaced. The service was about 6 or 7 months ago and I've been going to the same shop for so long I didn't visually inspect the ball joints when I picked my truck up because I thought I could trust them.. any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Brandon

triple111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Upper ball joints can be replaced, just most people don't want to bother because its easier to get the whole control arm and not much more expensive. If you have worn ball joints it would be pretty obvious, boots torn, very dirty and degraded rubber, creaking and popping noises, etc. New ball joints look and feel like new rubber and shouldn't make any noise.

ChryslerTech5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi
Well I'd think the easiest thing to do is to check to see if there is a grease fitting on the upper ball joint a lot of aftermarkets have these and no to upper ball joint is easier and more cost effective to just replace the UCA