Barely wanting to start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kendall88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 magnum
When I try to start my truck which is a 2000 Dodge Ram 5 speed. When I press the clutch in to start it it will barely start. It will take a good minute to actually start. I was wondering what it could be I know it is a v8 magnum the transmission I am not to sure about any info will be greatly appreciated

OP
OP
K

Kendall88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 magnum
It will turn over but it takes awhile to fire

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Sounds like fuel pump to me too.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Test fuel pressure at the rail. Should be around 49 PSI, the closer the better.

Also, when you stop cranking, the fuel pressure should drop SLOWLY. If it drops to zero right away then you've got a leak somewhere, probably a stuck open injector.

Weak pressure isn't necessarily a bad fuel pump. A faulty or plugged regulator can cause issues as well. However, since you have to remove the pump in order to replace the regulator, I'd just replace the entire assembly. It's not cheap, but removing the pump is kind of a PITA. I'd rather just replace the entire assembly once and not have to worry about anything relating to it for a while.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Can't replace just the regulator. It's all a single assembly and cam only buy the assembly