Battery or alternator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrs6494

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Here is my problem. This morning my truck would not start just clicked. Had to get a ride to work.

When I came home I tried to diagnose the issue. When I turned the key to on I saw that my battery level was just below the black line. I decided to jump the truck with my wife's car.

I left the vehicles attached for about a minute or two. The truck started right up. We then disconnected the cables. The tuck continued to run.

I then sat in the truck for about 30 minutes and let it run. I read online about different ways to test the alternator vs battery. I turned the air on high, radio on, lights on inside, headlights on high beam and had little to no change with the battery gauge. I then pushed 3 of the 4 windows up to drain more power. This time the battery gauge began to drop but kinda slowed or stopped near a quarter on the gauge.

A couple of hours later I started the truck right up and the battery showed just over half on the gauge.

So is this a battery issue or alternator issue? I am leaning towards battery because the truck ran for 30 minutes with various items on and never stopped.

The battery is only a year to a year and a half old but not sure if that makes a difference if it's just a bad battery.

Please let me know your thoughts.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Probably the battery. Easiest way to tell is to bring it in and get it tested. If it tests OK then might want to have alternator tested next.

dmacell1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 supercharged at 10psi
If you have a volt meter it should read 14+ volts across the terminals when the vehicle is running. If not the alternator is prolly going.
Most places will test the battery for free.

AK_Armendariz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7 L
It's most likely the battery. (I'm pretty sure that this works for Rams and cars) but turn the key to on and then back to off a couple times and it should give you a code to tell you if its the battery or the alternator.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock