BATTERY SAVE MODE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Puffin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins Diesel
Getting very cold temps here in Pa. Last evening decided to take truck on errands and it had not been started for over a week. Engine heater was plugged in so it started up ok. A message appeared on the dash that said Battery Save Mode. It stayed on through about 3-4 stop and restarts. Plugged RAM in overnight, 12 degrees this morning and no message. The dealer says they never saw such a message, so I took it in for a look. (UNDER WARRANTY)...Has anyone seen this show up and know official reason for it? If something is in need of replaced I want to insure they do it due to being under warranty until next month.

thanks

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Did you happen to take a look in your owners manual. It explains why it happens, and what features you lose while the charging system is “catching up”. There is a lot of current draw between everything trying to run on a cold start, especially the grid heater cycling on and off. There is nothing wrong with your truck when this light comes on.

HemiStarPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We had that happen on a Fleet Charger. Dealer told us and confirmed with the manual, the battery was low and the charging system was trying to keep up. Disables some features.

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Battery saver mode on my all day today. Multiple starts. I guess my truck hates the cold (11F).

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
"The dealer says they never saw such a message,.........."

"owners manual. It explains why it happens, and what........"

WOW!
:happy175:

Dans09Max

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hi guys,
2018 Ram 2500, 6.7 Cummins, new in Jan 2018, now 16,000 miles.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I am having a problem with a truck I otherwise love. I realize this looks bad as a first or low-count post, but I'm not bashing Ram. I'm trying to be very objective and as friendly and understanding as I can at the local dealer.

"Battery Saver Mode" comes on after most starts, even in a 50*F heated garage, where the truck is normally parked.
It comes on for every start that is with engine cold (outside, I'm in Alaska and winter temps are low -30F, high +30F). It's gotten worse, and now comes on when starting in the morning in the garage, and last night even came on after a restart (driven 20 miles, parked under 10 minutes, restarted with engine still over 180F).

Dealer's Service Advisor says this is "normal." I call BS. I asked that he have both batteries independently checked. He told me (and showed the slips) that the batteries tested OK, but said they "blew 2 hours doing it." I've now had the truck in the shop 3 times (4, really), each time with this as *one* of my complaints/requests. He tells me that I need battery heaters. I don't think I do, parking in a garage at 50F. I do have winter package (block heater, cold-front, and I've added oilpan and trans pan heaters).

Service Visits:
Dec 5, 2018
Took truck in for 2 recall/campaigns (ignition/trans interlock solenoid and airbag programming), and request they look into "battery saver mode" and driver's heated seat only lukewarm on high (hard to tell it's even on).
Performed recalls, ordered seat heater "sensor module" and "no problem with Battery Saver Mode, normal"
Truck returned to me with new error, "Service Electronic Braking System" and stability control light on. I was told to drive it, it might go away.

Jan 2, 2019, next available appointment
Bring in for heated seats (parts arrived), battery saver mode complaint again, and to fix the still-there stability light and EBS warning.
Wrong parts ordered for seats. Battery Saver Mode "normal" and they DID fix the EBS warning (tech forgot the final step of the recall, to reinitialize the ABS module).

Jan 8, 2019, notice leaking right rear axle seal. Call on phone, no earlier appointments available, must wait for Jan 22. Told to just drive it by a service advisor (Jan 8) and the service manager (Jan 14).

Jan 22, 2019, next available appointment
Leave truck all day, no work started. Picked up (very unhappy customer)

Jan 23, 2019
Leave truck again.
Correct heated seat part installed. Axle seal replaced, fluid topped off. Both batteries independently checked upon my request. Both test OK, told again "battery saver mode is normal and OK" and given a couple sheets of paper that explain what the Battery Saver Mode does. This info was already found online and in the manual. Back to driving.

So my question to you folks in the forum community - Am I out of line to expect a 2018 truck to start and run out of my heated garage with no errors on the display? I don't drive short runs (I commute 20 miles to work each way, and am often hauling water home, and taking longer trips every other weekend.

How do I go about getting the service advisor to take a next step into escalation? I'm already stuck with a dealer which refuses to provide any assistance other than a minivan shuttle service (won't take me even halfway home, out of their area), and their service dept. has a horrible reputation around town. Now I know why. Please don't tell me to try another dealer. The next closest Ram dealer is 360 miles away.

Hints, help, recommendations? Does every Cummins out there have this "Battery Saver Mode" coming on with every start that's cold enough for the grid heater to be in use? If I can't get this fixed, my next vehicle will be one that can be serviced by another dealer, and that narrows my choices to no Dodge/Ram/Jeep vehicles, which would make me sad.

ramrocker

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Cold weather seems to cause an increase in the battery saver messages, from what I've read.
I've just read thru the issue, don't have any experience or first hand knowledge.

Batteries load tested separately, you've had that done.
Some say AGM batteries help with the issue versus the maintenance free lead acid that come standard.

The air being below 59°F as measured by the intake air temperature (IAT) sensor causes the grid heater to cycle on and off.
Below about 15mph it will continue to cycle on and off as long as IAT is below 59°F
The grid heater draws about 210 amps.

"When the temperature is below 59 degrees, the intake manifold heater cycles to warm the air entering the cylinders. The heaters draw more current than the alternator can produce when running, so the voltmeter sees the heaters drag down the voltage. Cycling may continue for several minutes in cold weather.
Intake manifold heater cycles depend on the temperature of the manifold.
Post heat time depends on how quickly the manifold temperature sensor warms to 59 F"
Grid Heater Temperature  Chart.jpg

Grid Heater Amps & Voltage on engine start
Grid Heater Amps & Voltage on Start.jpg

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Since my post over a year ago I managed to kill both batteries deader than dead in March. Volts were 2VDC on each one. Had to disconnect both and recharge them with a regular charger over the course of a week then switched to 2 Battery Minders for another week. Both batteries recovered and when the dealer load tested them they were deemed to be in excellent condition.
Rather than chance getting stuck (highly unlikely in my opinion) and being better safe than sorry I replaced both batteries with M2 AGMs from Batteries Plus. In extreme cold with the grid heater cycling the battery saver mode can still come on. Nothing is affected by this and I have decided to ignore it from now on. It is just an information system and maybe on some upper level vehicles it might shut down some high draw accessories.
I have my truck set up so i can easily hook up the battery minder if it going to sit for any length of time so no more dead batteries.
As for the original batteries, I kept them and using one in my camper and the other to power the QuickJack.

Dans09Max

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks guys, you've both been able to articulate more than the dealer. It does indeed affect accessories, it shuts off the heated seats if the voltage is low enough.

What bothers me most is the message stays on until a restart, but no indication of what's being affected is given, so for all I know, some of the extra accessories I've paid for (like heated seats, wheel, etc) that are intended purely for cold weather may be shut off, ironically, during cold westher. Clearly I can tell the steering wheel is warm, but my Rams heated seats are difficult to tell whether they're on. I can hardly tell on high sometimes, and I've never tried the low setting, because high isn't hot enough. Recently the message reappears after restart so I'm not happy.

Our Mini Cooper seats are nice and toasty with a definite change on all three "on" settings. My old Chevy was hot on high, warm on low, so it ain't my pants insulating me too much like the dealer said! They did replace the sensor but I can't tell any change, so I wonder if the battery saver mode is affecting the seats.

Again, thanks for the pics. Real info is nice to see! I wonder if my best bet is to just deal with it, and later replace the batteries. Just frustrating with a brand new truck...

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

ramrocker

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Got a bit of info out of Alldatadiy on the Battery Saver Mode and electric Load-Shedding when in BSM.
I've read the same on some other posts, just wasn't sure where the info had come from.

Vehicle » Starting and Charging » Relays and Modules - Starting and Charging » Battery Control Module

Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS) - Operation

The Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS) contains a low value resistor, or shunt. The shunt creates voltage drop, which is read by an internal microcontroller to determine the current flow in and out of the battery. In addition to the shunt, the IBS contains a sensor to monitor the battery's temperature.

The IBS serves two primary purposes.
The first is to provide the Powertrain Control Module (or PCM) with both immediate and historical battery information, so the PCM can precisely control the charging system.

The second purpose is to provide data to the BCM for operation of the load-shedding feature.

Vehicle » Body and Frame » Body Control Systems » Body Control Module

Body Control Module - Operation
Battery Saver Mode/Battery Saver On Message - If Equipped

The electrical loads that may be switched off (if equipped), and vehicle functions which can be effected by load reduction:
- Heated Seat/Vented Seats/Heated Wheel
- Heated/Cooled Cup Holders
- Rear Defroster And Heated Mirrors
- HVAC System
- 115V AC Power Inverter System
- Audio and Telematics System

unhappy RAM owner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Getting very cold temps here in Pa. Last evening decided to take truck on errands and it had not been started for over a week. Engine heater was plugged in so it started up ok. A message appeared on the dash that said Battery Save Mode. It stayed on through about 3-4 stop and restarts. Plugged RAM in overnight, 12 degrees this morning and no message. The dealer says they never saw such a message, so I took it in for a look. (UNDER WARRANTY)...Has anyone seen this show up and know official reason for it? If something is in need of replaced I want to insure they do it due to being under warranty until next month.

thanks

i bought a 2019 2500 ram laramie october 31 2019 four days later the battery saver mode came on and i lost anything on my screen accept the heater, couldnt use navigation, phone , music etc. and if i was on a call i would lose it. when you stop and turn the engine off then back on it goes away until the next time. ive been dealing with this problem ever since i bought it. i work at a chrysler dealer now for 25 years and they have taken it in so many times and replaced so many things and still it continues to do it. i have asked them to get a chrysler engineer in to find the problem and all i get is covid this covid that and enery thing have to be approved through chrysler to replace anything. here i am 15 months later and still bringing it in for the same problem. i have owned alot of vehicles here in the past 25 years and NEVER had any issues. im being told i dont drive it enough! well i call bs on that because i have driven all my vehicles the same and this also started four days after i bought it. sorry i ever traded in my ram 1500 sport! im very dissapointed.

Dans09Max

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
As a follow up to my post 2 years ago, I just deal with it.
A couple weeks ago I parked in a location with no power nearby, for about 9 hours at -20F. The truck started, but on the second try.
I borrowed a battery load tester and checked both (factory, still) batteries individually, while cold (only +20F cold though). They tested at the top end of 'weak' bottom of 'OK'.

Just bought a pair of new Duralast Gold batteries, 800cca each, factory was 730cca. I put battery heaters under them but haven't wired them yet.

We will see if it helps. Since my last post I've also bought AlfaOBD and might be able to adjust some of the Battery Saver set points. Haven't looked yet. I did adjust tire sizes for winter, TPMS threshold, and some lighting options, on my 2018. Dealer refused to get me the RFM PIN too, even for cash. Got it with an Android app instead.

I gave up on my dealer and any FCA warranty. I'll maintain it myself.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
i bought a 2019 2500 ram laramie october 31 2019 four days later the battery saver mode came on and i lost anything on my screen accept the heater, couldnt use navigation, phone , music etc. and if i was on a call i would lose it. when you stop and turn the engine off then back on it goes away until the next time. ive been dealing with this problem ever since i bought it. i work at a chrysler dealer now for 25 years and they have taken it in so many times and replaced so many things and still it continues to do it. i have asked them to get a chrysler engineer in to find the problem and all i get is covid this covid that and enery thing have to be approved through chrysler to replace anything. here i am 15 months later and still bringing it in for the same problem. i have owned alot of vehicles here in the past 25 years and NEVER had any issues. im being told i dont drive it enough! well i call bs on that because i have driven all my vehicles the same and this also started four days after i bought it. sorry i ever traded in my ram 1500 sport! im very dissapointed.

Hello,

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your concerns and the experiences you've had thus far. I can certainly understand your frustration and apologize for any inconveniences you've dealt with. If you'd like me to look into this further for you, I can most certainly do that! If this is something you're interested in, feel free to send our RamCares team a private message with your current mileage & VIN. Thanks

Courtney
Ram Cares