Battery warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HandyAndy09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Hello there,
First of all I hope this is in right place. If not please advice where to post.

Recently I started having problem with battery not holding charge, so I took the truck (17 RAM 2500 Power Wagon bought new in middle of April 17) to dealership for diagnostics. Today I have received call from service advisor that she’s refusing warranty my battery and as a reason she stated that is because of my aftermarket dash camera installed in truck and that I need to purchase new battery from them to finalize diagnostics on my truck. Never heard of anything like this to be cause for warranty refusal. Is there anybody with similar experience who can give me some pointers how to deal with them?. Whole think sounds stupid, nicely said. I wouldn’t mind to pay them for new battery but not the price she was asking for it 395$ CAD installed.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

KansasArt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It may have been a bad battery from the gitgo. Doubt that your camera pulls enough current to run it down, I'm sure it turns off with the ignition. Is a battery even covered under warranty? Idk the answer to that.

OP
OP
H

HandyAndy09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Hi
Thanks for reply, yes it is covered under warranty.

c0383d9b6a407ed2ac4c32042744e92e.jpg

Camera has a constant power but it’s connected to module which shuts it down if battery voltage goes bellow 13V.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Unless the dealer can prove the camera was hooked up improperly, they should replace the battery. I would just go out and get a top shelf battery and be done with it. That's just me though.

OP
OP
H

HandyAndy09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Thank you guys, that’s what I’ll do. Buy the battery my self, it’s just weird that they kind of force you to buy from them and the reasons for voiding warranties are joke, why they even bother to warranty something, I don’t know any ram, dodge, Chrysler dash cameras so of course it’s gonna be aftermarket but claim it’s cause of battery failure it’s crazy, they will void your engine warranty if you used non Mopar air filter, didn’t do oil change in dealership. So what warranty I’ll loose if I’ll buy buttery somewhere else and install it my self? That’s Mickey Mouse reasoning....

MeatCurtains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thank you guys, that’s what I’ll do. Buy the battery my self, it’s just weird that they kind of force you to buy from them and the reasons for voiding warranties are joke, why they even bother to warranty something, I don’t know any ram, dodge, Chrysler dash cameras so of course it’s gonna be aftermarket but claim it’s cause of battery failure it’s crazy, they will void your engine warranty if you used non Mopar air filter, didn’t do oil change in dealership. So what warranty I’ll loose if I’ll buy buttery somewhere else and install it my self? That’s Mickey Mouse reasoning....

You are being obtuse. The law is on your side. Call FCA or another dealership.

They can't void your warranty. It doesn't work like that. You can use whatever replacement air filter you want and change your oil with any brand anywhere as long as the oil meets the required standards that nearly all oil does anyway. You can put whatever battery you want in your truck as long as it meets the required duty called for by fca you'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

KansasArt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How can you say the OP is obtuse? Quite disrespectful. I didn't get the impression he was slow or stupid.

MeatCurtains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
How can you say the OP is obtuse? Quite disrespectful. I didn't get the impression he was slow or stupid.

It's not used as he is, he is going off the deep end with his last statement and the thoughts there statements are being obtuse. He is jumping to insane conclusions without exhausting simple paths of conclusion of his situation.

He needs to slow down and get his thoughts together and move forward. Just screaming goofy things about things that won't void a warranty that can't be voided anyway is obtuse. He had the law on his side and if he doesn't use emotion and passion he will have a date do resolution.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
You are being obtuse. The law is on your side. Call FCA or another dealership.

They can't void your warranty. It doesn't work like that. You can use whatever replacement air filter you want and change your oil with any brand anywhere as long as the oil meets the required standards that nearly all oil does anyway. You can put whatever battery you want in your truck as long as it meets the required duty called for by fca you'll be fine.

I think he called you a triangle.:anitoof:

OP
OP
H

HandyAndy09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
MeatCurtains I get it the way you meant it. Im not feeling insulted or anything :) had to look it up in vocabulary tho never heard it before :) my last statement was kind of sarcasm, not good at it as English is one of the many languages I know and I can’t master them all. Really appreciate all of your inputs. I have already contacted FCA after my phone call with this service advisor on Friday but didn’t heard back from them yet.

Docpaulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have to disagree with the others here...

Your aftermarket camera is likely at fault... if its not switched with ignition its running your battery down when its off... even with the shutoff module its causing a parasitic drain that was not part of the original design... and can be causing a possible battery failure...

Get that camera switched with ignition or your battery may not last again...

The other option is use a battery tender and hook up your battery when parked for an extended time...

While the law protects those using aftermarket replacement parts... this is a tricky area since this was not a replacement part... and parasitic draw can be cause for battery failure

OP
OP
H

HandyAndy09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I have to disagree with the others here...

Your aftermarket camera is likely at fault... if its not switched with ignition its running your battery down when its off... even with the shutoff module its causing a parasitic drain that was not part of the original design... and can be causing a possible battery failure...

Get that camera switched with ignition or your battery may not last again...

The other option is use a battery tender and hook up your battery when parked for an extended time...

While the law protects those using aftermarket replacement parts... this is a tricky area since this was not a replacement part... and parasitic draw can be cause for battery failure

That camera draws 0.035A and battery has 140Ah so it will take 4000 hours to discharge it, that being said camera is shut down when battery is under 13V and that means it was discharged less then 5% of the total capacity. In my case battery out of vehicle with no connection to anything will loose it charge from 13.6V after charging to 0V in less then 2 hours. And that’s how battery capacity si suppose to be tested not installed and hooked up in vehicle.

Forgot to add that vehicle is being driven every day minimum 3h on the road and has 380A dual alternator package installed.

Last edited:

Docpaulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Your battery is obviously toast.. likely cell failure... probably a bad battery...

But

Have you tested that voltage cutoff device? I would do a parasitic draw test once you get the new battery...

Havent heard of a 13v cutoff off the shelf... most are 12.4 or less... unless this was custom... at 13v basically the camera shuts off when engine shuts off.

Despite your math... there are enough people on the internet who have drained their battery after 1 week just with a dash cam... but if you drive it daily, its moot. I drained a bmw once with the radar detector in 1 week...

Also factor in that battery capacity drops in cold weather

Cold temperature increases the internal resistance and lowers thecapacity. A battery that provides 100 percent capacity at 27°C (80°F) will typically deliver only 50 percent at –18°C (0°F).

KansasArt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Glad to hear meatcurtains didn't mean it in derogatory way! I'm with the ones who think that the battery is defective. Measure your current draw with and without the camera on. Truck off of course. I'd wager that the normal parasitic draw doesn't exceed the camera's.

OP
OP
H

HandyAndy09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Your battery is obviously toast.. likely cell failure... probably a bad battery...

But

Have you tested that voltage cutoff device? I would do a parasitic draw test once you get the new battery...

Havent heard of a 13v cutoff off the shelf... most are 12.4 or less... unless this was custom... at 13v basically the camera shuts off when engine shuts off.

Despite your math... there are enough people on the internet who have drained their battery after 1 week just with a dash cam... but if you drive it daily, its moot. I drained a bmw once with the radar detector in 1 week...

Also factor in that battery capacity drops in cold weather

Cold temperature increases the internal resistance and lowers thecapacity. A battery that provides 100 percent capacity at 27°C (80°F) will typically deliver only 50 percent at –18°C (0°F).

Yes the cut off voltage device it self draws 0.008A and once it shuts off it’s 0A. As for the voltage adjustment it can be set to turn off in range of 11.8 -13.2V.
Anytime there is expected to be temperature below -10*C my truck is plugged in (block heater, battery warmer and trickle charger)

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I would contact Ram Customer Care. Those folks are great at taking care of owners.

5 speed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
Go to another dealer. Take the thing off the dash so it out of the equation. Get yur new battery and reinstall

OP
OP
H

HandyAndy09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
If anyone is interested, dealership called that I need to pick up my truck as they will not continue with any diagnostics unless I provide them with new battery, when I showed up there was pretty much keys tossed over the counter and told to go and f... my self. Was trying to call FCA and couldn’t get a hold of anyone, the moment I gave them VIN nr they disconnected the call, wrote them a email and in there respond was informed they can pretty much void the warranty as they please and if I don’t like it I should sell my truck and get one somewhere else....

OP
OP
H

HandyAndy09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Go to another dealer. Take the thing off the dash so it out of the equation. Get yur new battery and reinstall
This was another note from FCA, battery serial nr is on file with information that it was damaged by my dash cam and not to bother to go to any dealership as they would see this information and wouldn’t deal with it either.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye