beating the dead horse that is copper vs iridium

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dropkicknick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
this thread was created because OES now recommends NGK LASER IRIDUIM LZFR5CI-11 over the standard copper NGK Standard LZFR5C-11

i keep reading about iridium plugs being trash for the early 4th gens so i decided to do some research

NGK is Mopar Original equipment supplier (OES) which means your Mopar plugs are NGKs with a Mopar stamp on it

most of the complaints ive seen were from offbrand OES iridium plugs like Bosch or Autolite etc
-side note, if you pay $2.99 for an iridium plug i.e. Autolite, that right there is your issue-

i even read quite a few that used NGK iridium plugs but they were using the NGK IX series, but i havent seen anything on the LASER series

so i went to NGK website and compared the OEM vs Iridium Laser vs Iridium IX.

(i use the iridium IX in this comparison because so many of the complaints were from them)

OEM NGK Standard LZFR5C-11

center electrode core material: copper
center electrode tip material: Nickel
ground configuration: standard
ground electrode core material: Nickel
ground electrode quantity: 1
ground electrode tip design: standard
hex size: 5/8
insulator height: 50.5mm
heat range: 5
pre-gap size: .044
reach: 26.5
resistance: 5000 Ohms

NGK LASER IRIDUIM LZFR5CI-11

center electrode tip material: Iridium
ground electrode tip design: standard

NGK Iridium IX LFR5AIX-11

center electrode tip material: Iridium
ground electrode tip design: Taper cut

series descriptions state that the IX is for performance applications while the LASER is for OE applications
the differences between the 2 that i could find is:

-IX has taper cut ground electrode tip while the laser has standard
-while they both have a copper core ground electrode, the Laser has a platinum pad laser welded into it
-IX has some fancy "Trivalent metal coating" for anti corrosion/seizing
im sure theres more in depth technical differences but i couldnt find them

obviously there is enough difference between the 2 to label one performance and one approved for OE use but since NGK is recommending the laser as a OE replacement for the standard copper right on there website and on rockauto i had to dig.

so! can anyone confirm that the NGK LASER IRIDUIM LZFR5CI-11 has caused them issues? are you sure you were using the same part number as mentioned above?

i think i speak for alot of people when i say id like that extra 70,000 miles but i wont sacrifice engine life if they cause performance issues.

TheDonVon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't have an answer, but I am interested in what responses you get. Unfortunately I just did a plug change last weekend with the Standard Copper Plugs from NGK. I will be disappointed if the NGK Laser Iridium plugs work and I could have used them! Although, my truck is at 80K and this plug change was my first, so I think the 30K interval is a bit conservative, but that's just me.

OP
OP
dropkicknick

dropkicknick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I am interested in what responses you get.

Honestly I dont have my Hope's up. I bet people see the title and run the opposite direction haha the copper vs iridium thing has been done to death but as far as I know, this is something new

All I really want to know is how the iridium laser performs in the early 4th gen 5.7 and hope someone has used these but I'm betting I'll probably end up figuring it out the hard way

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I were in your shoes I would throw a set of OEM iridium plugs in and try it. Worst case is you have to get a set of coils from a newer ram and throw them in. I think a set of OEM coils runs about 350 bucks, not cheap but when you factor in your time for all those plug changes you won't have to do it would be more than worth it to me.

OP
OP
dropkicknick

dropkicknick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well if I dont here anything by end of this week I think I will go ahead and try them out. Worse case scenario I just swap them out again for copper but atleast ill know for sure.

$350 for 8 2-fire coils?? Wow that's cheap, my bike has 2 pencil COPs and there $100 each

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
How long have these plugs you want to use been around. As I said in the other thread, anything other than oe doesn't play well in the hemi. Now if these are fairly new and have different specs, this could be a game changer.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I think one of the problems HEMI owners run into is the length of the threaded portion of the plug being a bit longer than the copper units, causing some misfire issues.

5.7L Hemi powered car owners reported that the iridium plugs work if you add one or two spacers (they should come with the plugs) to the base of the plug before you thread them in.

I haven't tried it on my 300 yet (6.1L HEMI) but it came with platinum anyway so I don't have to worry about finding a copper plug or platinum plug that fits properly.

MaxSteel2013

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
FYI this information was very helpful for me.

AzCats

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CC Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well if I dont here anything by end of this week I think I will go ahead and try them out. Worse case scenario I just swap them out again for copper but atleast ill know for sure.

$350 for 8 2-fire coils?? Wow that's cheap, my bike has 2 pencil COPs and there $100 each

Any updates?

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
If I were in your shoes I would throw a set of OEM iridium plugs in and try it. Worst case is you have to get a set of coils from a newer ram and throw them in. I think a set of OEM coils runs about 350 bucks, not cheap but when you factor in your time for all those plug changes you won't have to do it would be more than worth it to me.

Got these coils from rockauto. About 26 bucks a pop. A little over $200

IMG_20190506_180435.jpg

tantore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
hi to all about 6 months ago i replaced the copper plugs with the ngk 92145 and ngk coil pack so far so good i paid about 300.00 for the coils and plugs the truck runs great not sorry at all i made the change 5,000 miles ago on my 2012 ram 1500 5.7 47,000miles on the clock i hope it will help someone who wants to make the change.

Octane

Reaction score
I put over 60k on NGK copper once and now in my Ram I put NGK Laser iridium as fca says they supersede coppers to have a longer service interval and I've not had any issues at all. The Ram was a lot more fun to replace the plugs in tho. (sarcasm)

AzCats

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CC Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put over 60k on NGK copper once and now in my Ram I put NGK Laser iridium as fca says they supersede coppers to have a longer service interval and I've not had any issues at all. The Ram was a lot more fun to replace the plugs in tho. (sarcasm)
Did you change the coils too?