Beefing up your rig for towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Looking for some opinions, if you were planning on towing regularly, at least once a week, long distances, what would be some of the mods you'd most likely do?

Plan on doing for sure:
  • Bilstein 5100's front and back.
  • Tuftruck TTC-1223 rear coil springs
  • Air Lift 1000 bags (I figure 'duh')
  • General Grabber AT/II's in 275/70/65 (Figuring any D or E load rated tire, but I like these most.)

I'm undecided about how these may or may not benefit me at all.

• Mag-Hytec Differential Cover for 9.25" Rear
  • Mag-Hytec Deep Transmission Pan Cover
  • 180 Degree Thermostat
  • Hayden Transmission Cooler

I have been thinking about an aftermarket transmission cooler. According to my build sheet I have a "Heavy Duty Transmission Oil Cooler"

But in my experience OEM's are never quite as good as aftermarket in size. So wondering if an inline after the radiator might be a good idea. Or if that will be overkill and potentially harmful when not towing, unless I use a thermostat.

Anyone have any essentials?

Keep in mind, I already have 3.92 gears, and will have exhaust and intake installed later this week.

I'm hoping eventually with my plans for fulltime travel to be able to contribute a lot more to this towing section.

Last edited:

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You have a good list. Probably overkill. But it's a good list.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your rims aren't rate to hold 80psi (I have been told 65psi at most). What is the point of adding heavy 'E' tires if you can't make use of them?

Does your engine/trans run hot? If not, why add anything?
I understand the 180* stat, and can't argue the looks/bling of the M-H cover(s) but changing coolers?
WAY overkill IMO (you asked) but it's your money.

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sound like a good list to me. Like H2O said some overkill in there. But it's better to be safe then sorry

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

toofart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 8 spd
+1 on the rear suspension mods. RAMs have pretty adequate cooling from the factory; not sure I'd bother.

OP
OP
BoldAdventure

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Your rims aren't rate to hold 80psi (I have been told 65psi at most). What is the point of adding heavy 'E' tires if you can't make use of them?

I understand the 180* stat, and can't argue the looks/bling of the M-H cover(s) but changing coolers?

I was aware of the rim thing. smurfs_of_war says he runs 50psi at most. I may replace the rims if needed. More than likely.

Second list is the debatable list. The list I think might be more "want" than need. I'm trying to determine what's really going to benefit me.

I'm sure though that better tires will be of help. The springs I am pretty sure of, but I'm thinking of waiting till we are loaded with WD hitch, and seeing how the truck rides to make a final determination.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm on board then. I agree our P tires are crap for towing and induce some sway. The rear springs are OK with airbags, but it would be nice to not rely on air as it can leak and springs don't.
The 'want' factor of the covers is 100% understandable :favorites13:

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Based on the temps I see when towing 6000 lbs with my truck, the HD cooler yours has is more than enough.

And the 180 deg t-stat may hurt your mpg

Rear diff cover would only really benefit in longevity of the rear end/gears

Trans pan may help with longevity

New springs AND bags ?? are you gonna be towing that heavy ??

Last edited:
OP
OP
BoldAdventure

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Based on the temps I see when towing 6000 lbs with my truck, the HD cooler yours has is more than enough.

Rear diff cover would only really benefit in longevity of the rear end/gears

Trans pan may help with longevity

Close to payload with WD pro-ride hitch and somewhere between 6800-7500lbs. 1-2 times a week minimum. Airstreams have heavy tongue weights. Cat scale will ultimately determine final numbers.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
you may see a benefit from a 180* t-stat. i would probably tow first and watch the coolant temps before swapping it out though, to see if its even needed. the pans are nice bling, the biggest benefit from them is the drain plug make changing fluid easier. i wouldnt say they are needed though. as far as the exhaust and intake go, performance wise, you wont see much, and you might find them to be very annoying when towing.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l

I agree with all of this. If your towing long distance and your concerned even a little bit with fuel mileage I wouldn't put in a 180 t-stat. The warmer your engine runs the better it burns the fuel. I wouldn't go crazy with the suspension until you know how your truck handles the load stock, then build it around your needs. As far as transmission pan or bigger Trans cooler I wouldn't rush into it until you get a handle on what your temps run stock. The heavy duty cooler should be plenty your truck is rated at 10000lbs for towing you shouldn't need much more if any at all. The two weak links you stated I would address is some of the suspension and tires if you plan of wanting some payload while your towing. By adding the airlift 1000 and some tires with a little bit stiffer side walls will make towing more pleasurable.

OP
OP
BoldAdventure

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks guys. Guess I'm just going to wait longer till our take off date on some of these. Taking a road trip up to Chicago in Oct. So maybe I'll do rims after that. And the suspension tweaks after I test out how everything handles loaded.

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

The benefit of the MH covers (besides the increased capacity) is it has a fill/drain plug (with a dipstick on the diff covers) and it's sealed with an o-ring. Makes maintenance super convenient.

OP
OP
BoldAdventure

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The benefit of the MH covers (besides the increased capacity) is it has a fill/drain plug (with a dipstick on the diff covers) and it's sealed with an o-ring. Makes maintenance super convenient.

I knew about the o-ring and drain plug. I had no idea about the dipstick. Now the pricing makes much more sense, and seems far more reasonable than just a drain plug and larger capacity alone.

I might consider the rear cover. I already checked and have the deep pan, and with the protection group, not really sure the one for the transmission is going to be worth while. You can buy a DIY plug for pretty cheap.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Why on earth do you need a dipstick in your differential cover? It is a sealed unit, the only time you need to check it is if you have a leak or are going to change the fluid. If it is leaking the only benefit is it allows you to ignore the leak and keep putting fluid in it.

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Besides checking level, the dipstick is magnetized so you can check for shavings and oil quality (ie water) which you should do every time the pumpkin is submerged. It beats removing the entire cover.

Not my image:

This is what it looks like
View attachment 33082

Last edited:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
[*]Bilstein 5100's front and back.
Good you will like these I have the HD's (yellow and blue) not nearly as adjustable but they are great.

[*]Tuftruck TTC-1223 rear coil springs
Great add but could make it ride rough and might not even be needed with Airlift

[*]Air Lift 1000 bags (I figure 'duh')
YES

[*]General Grabber AT/II's in 275/70/65 (Figuring any D or E load rated tire, but I like these most.)
[/LIST]
Tire size must be a typo? LT275/65R20?
Having more plies will ride a little stiffer but always a nice add. They don't need more than 65 psi ever with what that truck can haul. I have the BFG's and I have never put them above 40 (I think) and they can handle anything the truck ever could even at that level.

Great add especially towing for cooling not the dipstick.
  • Mag-Hytec Deep Transmission Pan Cover
    Not needed the factory cooler is amazing on the 4th gen it will never be an issue unless cooler fails.
  • 180 Degree Thermostat
    NO, these make the engine run at a not ideal temp for performance or mileage. They are designed to run at the temp of factory thermostat.
  • Hayden Transmission Cooler
    NO you don't need it and this one would probably fail long before the factory one ever does.

I have been thinking about an aftermarket transmission cooler. According to my build sheet I have a "Heavy Duty Transmission Oil Cooler"

But in my experience OEM's are never quite as good as aftermarket in size. So wondering if an inline after the radiator might be a good idea. Or if that will be overkill and potentially harmful when not towing, unless I use a thermostat.

See above I say no not needed or a good idea
Anyone have any essentials?

I tow a lot with mine and only failures have been pinion bearings and pinion seal due to my regear and some pesky issues from install and the dealer attempting to mess with things.

Do you have factory brake controller?

I hope this helps you!

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hey BoldAdventure- sorry I am late to this party. Out camping ;)

Your list is really good and detailed. I can report that with the TTC-1223 you will not need bags. The E rated BFs performed as I figured. Rock solid at 50PSI. The Rancho 9000xl shocks on the corners performed awesome- dialed to 9 out back and 7 up front- kept the boots planted. The BlueOx returned my truck to unladen ride height and kept us straight as an arrow when passing, and being passed even by the big double 53' units. The only reason I didn't use bilstein is because I had two sets on my F150 and ratched both. Gave up. I suspect they have improved, but I was happy with the Ranchos and stuck to them.

We were loaded HEAVY this trip and it was 32 deg celcius. It's a 2 week stay. We monitored our temperatures on the trip, and saw very little change. The Ram rocked the trip! I would bet you anything that you wouldn't have to change a thing with the cooling anywhere.

So, on your list my too priorities would absolutely be the rubber, the shocks and coils. I prefer the coil replacements to bags because I like the zero fail aspect. Not saying they are better- just my preference. Definitely a stiff unloaded ride. Bags would win that out. I specifically stick with the BFGs on my trucks because of the stiff sidewalls. The duratracs I had were a nightmare- you know that though since I was pretty vocal about it :lol:

I'm heading back to my *** now...

Last edited:
OP
OP
BoldAdventure

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Great replies from "smiley3303" & "smurfs_of_war", thanks guys! :favorites13:

I know it's a GM but....

2014-07-05-13.47.12.png

Our Trailblazer has been our adventure mobile and road trip rig for the past 3 years. We've gotten used to the changes in ride from heavier tires and springs. I run Tahoe Z71 springs, BDS rear shocks and Bilestin 4100's up front. So while for others the stiffer springs might be a concern, we are kind of expecting to be ok with it. Or more used that kind of ride. It is a truck after all.

So based on a lot of the feedback in this thread, I think I'm editing the list of planned mods for towing to look like this

• Bilstein 5100's front and back.
  • Tuftruck TTC-1223 rear coil springs
  • General Grabber AT/II's in 275/65/20 (Tire choice isn't final, and yeah it was a typo.)

PS: I have the integrated factory brake control already installed.

Last edited: