Best aftermarket brake controller?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I added the OEM to my '15 Ram 1500. It is absolutely superior to the aftermarket units I've used in the past. Yes, it costs more, but it's completely integrated and works silky smooth. With my Prodigy, I always had a certain amount of brake grab and a slight delay when hitting the brakes. With the OEM, it's just like the trailer is part of the truck. It doesn't get any better than that.

Yes- the OEM is a great unit but after towing since 1975 the mounting location is more important to me than the control. My two previous rams did not come with the OEM control. I mounted the after market units in the center console close to the dash. When mounted on the right side of the steering wheel you can use the unit and change gears with the same right hand. Putting the unit on the left side you need to downshift then change hands and apply brakes with the left hand. Very inconvenient when going down long mountain passes. Mounting the unit down low makes you have to reach for it and is not very handy. Just something to consider when choosing a mounting place.