Best internals for boost?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

splaggerman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I have a 1999 Ram 360. I am planning on doing 40 over pistons and maybe a stroke kit. But what would the best internals be to handle a boost from a turbo or super charger?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Go forged for sure. I'd go google up some info on 360 builds. There are several shops I saw some years ago that do the build or sell the parts for owners to use.

I googled 408 MOPAR stroker and got some good hits.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
What's your budget? It's easy to have 5k into a rotating assembly in order to have the strongest bottom end around, but that doesn't mean you need it. Is your engine currently needing rebuilding? Why 40 over, has it been rebuilt previously? If not, stick to 30 over max for cylinder wall thickness. If the engine is currently in good shape you are probably better off leaving the bottom end stock, depending on your power goal.

Basically, we need much more information.

OP
OP
splaggerman

splaggerman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
What's your budget? It's easy to have 5k into a rotating assembly in order to have the strongest bottom end around, but that doesn't mean you need it. Is your engine currently needing rebuilding? Why 40 over, has it been rebuilt previously? If not, stick to 30 over max for cylinder wall thickness. If the engine is currently in good shape you are probably better off leaving the bottom end stock, depending on your power goal.

Basically, we need much more information.
Budget isn't a problem. Block is fine. I pulled the motor to replace the oil pump and redo gaskets. Then I figured i should build the truck.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Yeah no reason to do 40 over. Honestly you'd likely be fine with a ball hone or 10 over. Going 40 over the power difference is negligible, you'd only gain about 10cubes