Best Mods for Under $100

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Anyone else try that cheap throttle commander? Thinking about trying one because the pedal commander is way over priced
I'm going to try it on my 3.6L too...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Articlonestar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

NormB

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 SLT
Engine
Cummins 6.7L TD
Bought the glass screen protector for the 8.4 from Amazon on a lightning deal for 8 bucks.
This is my third vehicle in a row with the 8.4 and I don't know why I haven't tried this. It's pretty simple peel and stick. And it makes the screen feel and look a lot more premium imofc43abd2460231cee2aa86b2224294cf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Anyone know of a mod or hack to make that screen disappear?

I‘m an adult. Any free adult American should find that display offensive.

NormB

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 SLT
Engine
Cummins 6.7L TD
I just changed the cabin air filter (and the engine air filter) on my wifes car last night. Looking at the 36 month/30K mile service that Lexus will charge me 400.00 for, the only "change" things in it are oil, oil filter, engine and cabin air filters. So for 30.00 in filters I saved a whole ton of money and it took less time to change them then 1/4 of the drive to the dealer even if I were dumb enough to pay them to do it.

I started changing my own cabin air filters about ten years ago when I found out what the dealer was charging me for them. $68 installed. Started buying them four at a time for les than ten bucks each, replacing them every 6 months. Finally convinced my wife THIS year to let me do this with her car.

We may save enough to live comfortably in retirement.

Nah. I‘ll just buy more mods.

NormB

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 SLT
Engine
Cummins 6.7L TD
Finally got my Mopar belt covers on.

Also made a purchase of a 50 Cal Bullet Antenna and leatherette grab handle covers.

RCilATt.jpg
Y3yW4Hi.jpg
3wIYbDo.jpg
eeDgGH7.jpg
5fjgsmH.jpg
UEXCKqH.jpg
mEfXKK6.jpg

I spent the better part of an hour yesterday online looking for those grip covers.

SHOULD be an easy find.

Where the heck did you get those?

Do you have a part number?

Thanks.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Anyone else try that cheap throttle commander? Thinking about trying one because the pedal commander is way over priced

Don’t do it. It’s a waste of money

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 2500 4x4 C/C Off Road.

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I started changing my own cabin air filters about ten years ago when I found out what the dealer was charging me for them. $68 installed. Started buying them four at a time for les than ten bucks each, replacing them every 6 months. Finally convinced my wife THIS year to let me do this with her car.

We may save enough to live comfortably in retirement.

Nah. I‘ll just buy more mods.

Heh my wife expects me to fix everything on all of our vehicles (and our house for that matter :) ). I will DIY it into oblivion before I take it to a dealer or call a contractor.

I cant even calculate all of the $$ Ive saved over the years by doing it myself. Its pretty much expected now so its not a "oh wow we saved ... ", its more of a "we dont even know how much it would cost for someone else to do it because we dont even bother getting quotes".

On the flipside, I get to have lots of tools and she doesnt bat an eye when I come home with more :)

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I spent the better part of an hour yesterday online looking for those grip covers.

SHOULD be an easy find.
Where the heck did you get those?
Do you have a part number?
Thanks.

I got mine from Amazon. Took 'em back off within a week, they don't hold tight enough to not rotate around when you use the handle.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074QNZRLR

-K

Articlonestar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, I bought a 2015 lonestar ram 2 weeks ago and hated the antenna. Bought a stubby one! The next day I stumble onto this thread. Now I have ordered the cabin air filter kit, the tailgate assist, screen protectors for the 8.4 headunit, and a tonneau cover. Wife is not so impressed!

This thread is a goldmine! (Just wish I had an actual goldmine to pay for it all!)

NormB

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 SLT
Engine
Cummins 6.7L TD
Woke up bright an early to install the OEM mudflaps I’d bought and didn’t have time to install yesterday.

I should’ve bought Weathertechs.

First, the instructions are wrong. No, really. MOPAR factory OEM installation instructions are wrong. Part is right for my 2018, but where it says to trim away plastic from the front flap? Don’t do it. Just. Don’t. Do it. I wound up reattaching the piece with pop rivets and cutting a simple notch for the left hand side mudflap after some trial and error. Yeah, looks like a real kludge, but I’ll spray some undercoating on the rubber/plastic and never look at it again (it’s on the passenger side).

Rears? Should’ve taken minutes, took about 45. Screws don’t line up. No cutting required, but a third hand, a pick/nail or very thin screwdriver helps to locate the metal clip nuts. If you don’t have a right-hand drill adapter (I have one, Dewalt), it’s going to be nearly impossible to drill the remaining screw hole without taking the tire off.

Of the parts provided, there was a handful I didn't wind up needing/using.

#2 - changed cabin air filter. Will drive around later and see how much less the cabin smells of stale coffee and cigars (it’s faint, very, very faint, nothing Febreze won’t cover, but then I go around smelling/inhaling febreze on my commutes, but hey, I saved about 15,000 buying a ten month old truck, and my dog will stank that thing up in no time). If weather holds, will use a steam carpet cleaner we own on all the cushions.

#3 - Deezee tailgate lift. Step by step instructions are flawless. Used a centerpunch to mark the nut, turned ten times. Greased fittings w/ green grease. Amazing hack.

#4 - Added a bottle of water wetter to the radiator tank. I use the stuff in my HMMWV and have noticed about a five degree drop in temps. Subjective as hell, but why not. Stops bubbling, breaks up surface tension allowing better contact between water and hoses/metal allowing for better heat transfer.

Weathertech mats ordered, not delivered to my friend’s shop even though there’s a signature release. Won’t get ‘em until Wednesday [insert frownie face here].

Westin stainless steel nerf bars on the way.

Meanwhile, looking at the underhood lamp, bed lamps, transfer case plate, then my allowance is spent until June 2019.

IMG_5409.JPG

IMG_5410.JPG

IMG_5411.JPG

IMG_5412.JPG

Last edited:

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Have you tried it?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

A lot of research before I bought the real Pedal Commander from Matt @ moesperformance. He’s a super great guy and exceptional customer service.
He’s a preferred vendor here and goes way out of his way to make sure the customer is happy.
And another thing about Matt is that he uses and tests a product before he’ll consider putting it on the shelves for sale. If it doesn’t perform to his expectations he won’t sell it.

I love my truck!

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Christmas present - Traxion tailgate step. 4b0e6b9dd751d70950355f5b5ecee618.jpge27afe9991e5e281300967dbc022c6e4.jpg

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

I’ve got the same one and love it. I’m gonna have to rebuild it because I lifted the truck. So I’m gonna weld up a lower piece to extend it.

I love my truck!

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
So, I bought a 2015 lonestar ram 2 weeks ago and hated the antenna. Bought a stubby one! The next day I stumble onto this thread. Now I have ordered the cabin air filter kit, the tailgate assist, screen protectors for the 8.4 headunit, and a tonneau cover. Wife is not so impressed!

This thread is a goldmine! (Just wish I had an actual goldmine to pay for it all!)

Ram’s are/can be expensive

I love my truck!