Best Mods for Under $100

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NormB

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 SLT
Engine
Cummins 6.7L TD
So had a little bit of extra time today

d0cd979fd364c3bdb0b63e424c5ecdfa.jpg

And something to speed up oil changes [emoji106]

While speeding up a semi-annual activity, maybe, I’m not a fan.

Ever pull a magnetic drain plug and find metal shards? Shavings?

Now, while this won’t automatically cause distress, panic, and a pressing need to pull the engine to check for cam, follower or main bearing wear, it might be an indication somethign may fail catastrophically.

A warning only.

I was reassured when I drained the TH400 turbo transmission in my HMMWV and found the magnet in the sump pan to be clean as a proverbial metaphor.

Several years of changing oil in the engine leaves me - marginally - reassured there’s nothing wearing out too fast in the 6.2L diesel (but I’m still looking for a spare, just in case. Insurance policy of sorts).

NB

Sparky853

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 SXT CC 4x4 6'4" Air Suspension
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I’ve got the same one and love it. I’m gonna have to rebuild it because I lifted the truck. So I’m gonna weld up a lower piece to extend it.

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 2500 4x4 C/C Off Road.
Works good so far. Angle will be wrong when I lower the air suspension, but figured I need it more when truck is at normal height. Will have to test it and see.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

NormB

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 SLT
Engine
Cummins 6.7L TD

NormB

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 SLT
Engine
Cummins 6.7L TD
Is the reception comprised with the shortie antennas?

In a word, yes. Always.

Yeah, that was two words, but pick one.

Ideally, for EM signal transmission you need a good broadcast signal, through an antenna of the appropriate length to match the wavelength of the frequency you're broadcasting.

then you need propagation - signal goes through vacuum best, air second, rocks worst at most radio frequencies.

THEN you need a receiving antenna of the appropriate wavelength to match that of the transmitter. Or a fractional wavelength.

Say, you're transmitting FM at 100 mHz, you need a 3 meter antenna for best reception. a 3 meter antenna will give you CLOSE to a 1:1 correspondence of signal reception (SWR or Standing Wave Ratio). A HALF-wavelength antenna will work, with fewer decibels signal reception, a quarter-wavelength antenna will too, and so on. Mfrs frequently try and beat the physics of this fact with coils. Like taking a 3meter length of 16 gauge wire and coiling the first 2 meters into a single layer coil, or "choke." This too will work, and it's how most car antennas (and a lot of ham and CB radio antennas are made). When properly "tuned" (standing wave ratio is as close to 1:1 as possible), we put 'em on our trucks.

Sometimes, the shorty antennas WILL work, within a reasonable broadcast range and that's why most radio stations broadcast in the tens of thousands of watt range for best long-range signal reception (usually line-of-sight), so a pocket AM/FM radio will work just fine.

That's part of the story anyway.

Yeah, I'm a ham, been licensed most of ten years, grew up around it. May not be explaining it as well as I'm trying, but hopefully you're getting the idea.

Norm

dirtyd1833

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Christmas present - Traxion tailgate step. 4b0e6b9dd751d70950355f5b5ecee618.jpge27afe9991e5e281300967dbc022c6e4.jpg

I have been thinking about one of these, only problem is I haul my four wheeler back there every now and then. I guess I could just open the ladder, load the quad and then "close" the ladder up against the side of the quad with a bungee.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Sparky853

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 SXT CC 4x4 6'4" Air Suspension
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have been thinking about one of these, only problem is I haul my four wheeler back there every now and then. I guess I could just open the ladder, load the quad and then "close" the ladder up against the side of the quad with a bungee.

It also comes off with just a couple pins to remove.

HandyAndy09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
While speeding up a semi-annual activity, maybe, I’m not a fan.

Ever pull a magnetic drain plug and find metal shards? Shavings?

Now, while this won’t automatically cause distress, panic, and a pressing need to pull the engine to check for cam, follower or main bearing wear, it might be an indication somethign may fail catastrophically.

A warning only.

I was reassured when I drained the TH400 turbo transmission in my HMMWV and found the magnet in the sump pan to be clean as a proverbial metaphor.

Several years of changing oil in the engine leaves me - marginally - reassured there’s nothing wearing out too fast in the 6.2L diesel (but I’m still looking for a spare, just in case. Insurance policy of sorts).

NB

Well that’s why I send my oil to lab for analysis , I believe that should find any metals in it before it even shows on magnet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drprymer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As stated before the $20 tailgate assist hands down is the best thing you didn't think you needed

20181229_153832.jpg

Also for $60 bucks can't go wrong with a catch can

20181231_121915.jpg
20181231_121928.jpg

Last edited:

WhiteKnight

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
$8 Screen protector from Amazon
Backseat mod (I'm destructive so decided to cut instead of use washers and my god is it amazing!)
Map Lights, Backseat light upgraded to LEDs
Green LEDs for the front seat foot area.

Gonna rebadge with matte black with white accents. (EDIT: Debadged, decided it looks sexy as is and will probably leave it that way!)

this thread does cost a lot of money! lol

IMG_4874.jpg IMG_BE098A827654-1.jpeg

IMG_4877.jpg

IMG_4897.jpg

Last edited:

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Hey guys just added this:
truxedo.gif

TruXedo® Tailgate Seal

found it at Cabelas. Trying to keep the dust at bay in the bed when going off road. For $25 I thought I'd give it a try!

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6

dexter

Banned
Reaction score

Get a 3 step stool from Home Depot ... much more useful.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Replaced all 4 door speakers for just over $100 ($109 shipped from Crutchfield)
MUCH better sound quality.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/157147535@N07/shares/WV56h7
Are they component ? We have tweeters right ? Lol. I was thinking about speakers but that rabbit hole leads to dark dark places ha ha ha. Last time I did audio it ended up being a full blown system with a sub that took up the whole trunk of my ****** Mazda

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk