Best Mods for Under $100

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
That's crazy, my 17 Express has it. I wonder if it became stock after a certain build date

Could be, though it might help to mention that from 2017 onward, the Ram 1500 SLT trim kit is only available as a fleet vehicle (I bought mine used - previous owner was Enterprise.) Coupling this with what you said, maybe it's a Fleet vs. Retail vehicle thing?

Random_Walk

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I was driving my truck around for about 1 1/2 years before discovering when I went to replace the cabin air filter that it didn't even have one :doh2:. At least it had the door.

Don't feel bad - I bought a new cabin air filter, only to find no door (I ordered one today, and intend to carve out the cover. where it normally goes..)

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Dang! Well that's something I need to do! Add it to the list
There are several You Tube Videos on how to do that mod. Also on site here many threads about it ! FYI to save from having that string that stops the glove box from dropping from retracting all the way, which is a pain to get back, tie a string to it,put a little tension on it and tie off. keep it from retracting .

inthe510

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn Quad Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't feel bad - I bought a new cabin air filter, only to find no door (I ordered one today, and intend to carve out the cover. where it normally goes..)

I don't get it. This is the first vehicle I have owned that came with a cabin air filter compartment, but without a filter or even a door on some. Are they trying to save a couple of bucks if that?

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wish - Some trims have it, some (like my SLT) do not. Now I just need to find that Cabin Air Filter door thingy...
Did you check it visually or going off word of mouth?
My ‘17 SLT has the filter door from the factory. I changed my filter when I bought the truck last year.

Dice

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I added the filter to my 13. It would be way easier to cut if I were left handed. Not a lot of room in there.
A heat gun is your friend if you use a razor knife.

Random_Walk

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Did you check it visually or going off word of mouth?
My ‘17 SLT has the filter door from the factory. I changed my filter when I bought the truck last year.

I bought a cabin air filter, then popped open the lower glove box, looked in, and.... no door.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I don't get it. This is the first vehicle I have owned that came with a cabin air filter compartment, but without a filter or even a door on some. Are they trying to save a couple of bucks if that?
IMO it is all about saving a buck :O I had to cut open the slot in my 2015 and buy the door and CAF.

wallacemf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 4x4 Hemi 6.4
This makes no sense at all. My 2016 2500 Tradesman had the door, but no filter in it, so I put one in.

My 2018 2500 BH has the door and came with a filter in it.

Now we’re back to some 2017 models don’t even have the door? Wth, FCA needs to get this squared away, it’s stupid. Especially with the cost of these trucks.

Modstanger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
GOt to weigh in, on this one.

Dad has owned multiple car dealerships, gas stations and, yes, body shops.
Best friend had a body shop, for decades, until his knees went bad and good help got to hard to find, Luckily, he had enough money to say, Done.

I, personally, have done all the body work , from yanking off dented parts, to frame replacements, to final spray, on over a hundred cars. Some less than a year old to high dollar classics.

Paint is Paint. Don't care if it comes from a industrial grade air gun, wal-mart airless or a rattle can. If you can get the same paint, in each of the applications, lay it on "wet" and it will look good "Dry".

Tools are just that, tools.

No difference, to the nail, which hammer you use, the $2 walmart special, nice framing hammer or air hammer. nail still gets nailed. Only real difference is ability of person doing the job.

Tools can make the job, easier but, in the end, its all about the skill level.

AS regards Professional.... Even Da Vinci was an Amateur, until he started to get paid, regularly. More importantly, not every Professional, of the Era, was a Da Vinci.

I beg to differ with you. Paint isn’t all the same. My work with PPG tints, bases, hardeners, and reducers results in a far superior finish and durability then rattle can. I control liquid and air flow and tip size and pattern. Coatings done according to what I learned in PPG paint school (Glen Burnie, MD) result in covalent binding of each layer. Together for ever. None possible with “rattle can”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MRImike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tailgate assist, Seahawks license plate frame, and shorty antana coming this week!

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
View attachment 160044 I just did this mod on my 15 Sport a couple days ago. Bought the filter door from my dealer and ordered a kn reusable filter. Filter number is VF2013 in case anyone needs it.

Please let me know after you have it installed if you have a smell from the filter. Was thinking of going this route when I change mine. Thanks

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Please let me know after you have it installed if you have a smell from the filter. Was thinking of going this route when I change mine. Thanks

I've used this for 3 years without odor. The great thing is it's washable AND you can add a scent directly to the filter if you want a stealth air freshener...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk