Best Mods for Under $100

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mike12193

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/E-Torque
Do the 5th gens have cabin air filters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Do the 5th gens have cabin air filters?

I would have to say yes they do. From all I read they started putting the CAF back in 2017.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would have to say yes they do. From all I read they started putting the CAF back in 2017.

I've heard that in some of the early models they put in the "lid" but didn't put a filter in.
Jay

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I've heard that in some of the early models they put in the "lid" but didn't put a filter in.
Jay
Jay I heard that to! Funny and cheap ass way to save a buck lol

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Jay

How do you get the damn cover off ? I tried and failed. Busted a clip or something. Tossed it in the garbage and out glove box on. I was deafest Ed by the cover so I can’t even check mine [emoji23]

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMO it is all about saving a buck :O I had to cut open the slot in my 2015 and buy the door and CAF.

My build sheet had a CAF listed on my Gen 4. No cut, no filter. FCA added the OEM mod at no cost to me.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
My build sheet had a CAF listed on my Gen 4. No cut, no filter. FCA added the OEM mod at no cost to me.

Funny they charged for something they did not install :O I wonder how many people got burned that way :O

vweaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NN566CD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PHL5KCR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cell phone holder & wireless charger. $38.99
USB Type C plug - Qi 3.0 $12.99
(I see you can get it for less (and slower shipping) on eBay, but I prefer Amazon Prime for quick ship and return policies)

As per my usual, I spent hours (at least 10 over a period of weeks) searching for what would be the best choice at a great price.
The things I was looking for were:
  • not in window LOS
  • good viewing angle
  • minimally blocking of controls
  • rapid charge
  • ease of use
  • securely hold phone
The last one was the toughest, as I have a thick phone and case. It's a Kyocera DuraForce Pro and Otterbox case. (designed to be rugged! Together they are 3/4" thick- basically double or more what most wireless car chargers are designed to hold.

I was worried that because of the curved design of the back of the case, it might not grip tightly- but it's got a good grip on the flat, meaty part of the phone case. I was a just a little worried about the wireless with my case, but I have a wireless pad at work and home that works just fine- as is this.

I wasn't too worried about how well it would grip the vent fin- the pictures looked like it would work well, and it does. It sticks out from the vent about 3", so it doesn't completely block the vent flow. I have it positioned as far on the right side of the vent as I can, and it barely blocks a little of the UConnect screen. If I went left, it wouldn't block it at all, but I'd rather have to peek at the edge of the screen if needed than to obstruct the air flow to the left side of the vent with the phone.

I partially chose the charger due to the braided cord. It's been my experience that braided cords are far more durable than the cheapo ones.

The only apprehension I have is if the auto clamp/release will hold up over time. If I get 2 years out of it, I'll be happy and consider it a success.

The 3.0 Qi charging is great. It has no problem keeping up with me using Google Maps, bluetooth, a music app, etc. all at the same time and still topping up a low battery charge. Bluetooth sucks my battery dry, so this works great without having to handle plugging and unplugging a charger every time I step into the truck.

Next up: trying to find a dash cam that meets my discerning demands!

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I picked up a New Set of Bestop folding rear steps off E Bay NEW for 96$.That I bid on !worth 200$ !.They were a Open Box item ! But saving 100$ I am happy lol From a dealer so I know they were not hot lol

Step1.jpg

Step2.jpg

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NN566CD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PHL5KCR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cell phone holder & wireless charger. $38.99
USB Type C plug - Qi 3.0 $12.99
(I see you can get it for less (and slower shipping) on eBay, but I prefer Amazon Prime for quick ship and return policies)

As per my usual, I spent hours (at least 10 over a period of weeks) searching for what would be the best choice at a great price.
The things I was looking for were:
  • not in window LOS
  • good viewing angle
  • minimally blocking of controls
  • rapid charge
  • ease of use
  • securely hold phone
The last one was the toughest, as I have a thick phone and case. It's a Kyocera DuraForce Pro and Otterbox case. (designed to be rugged! Together they are 3/4" thick- basically double or more what most wireless car chargers are designed to hold.

I was worried that because of the curved design of the back of the case, it might not grip tightly- but it's got a good grip on the flat, meaty part of the phone case. I was a just a little worried about the wireless with my case, but I have a wireless pad at work and home that works just fine- as is this.

I wasn't too worried about how well it would grip the vent fin- the pictures looked like it would work well, and it does. It sticks out from the vent about 3", so it doesn't completely block the vent flow. I have it positioned as far on the right side of the vent as I can, and it barely blocks a little of the UConnect screen. If I went left, it wouldn't block it at all, but I'd rather have to peek at the edge of the screen if needed than to obstruct the air flow to the left side of the vent with the phone.

I partially chose the charger due to the braided cord. It's been my experience that braided cords are far more durable than the cheapo ones.

The only apprehension I have is if the auto clamp/release will hold up over time. If I get 2 years out of it, I'll be happy and consider it a success.

The 3.0 Qi charging is great. It has no problem keeping up with me using Google Maps, bluetooth, a music app, etc. all at the same time and still topping up a low battery charge. Bluetooth sucks my battery dry, so this works great without having to handle plugging and unplugging a charger every time I step into the truck.

Next up: trying to find a dash cam that meets my discerning demands!
Blackvue Dashcams should meet all of your criteria. I've had a DR650 2 Channel running for 3 years straight now without error...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk