Best single sub box set up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am going to be upgrading my sound system here next and am going to be adding a sub, i know sealed box is best suited for me but what i dont know is what brand is quality for these storage area boxes.

IMPORTANT 1: I absolutely can not live without having ONE of my little cubbies under the seat open and accesable, i keep all my riding straps and tow rope and get me unstuck stuff in there so can not take up both cubbies.

2: i dont want some booming panel rattling bass lol i listen to 90% death metal and just want the sub to fill in those drum blast beats and thats pretty much it.

3: i cant spend 1,000 on the jl audio box.

so what do you guys recommend for boxes? thanks in advance :favorites13:

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are a few companies that have single side ported boxes available in both 10 and 12 inch. If you are looking for a single sub to make up the bottom end Id say a single 10 ported will more than do the job, and get stupid if you wanted. Sometimes we get a subwoofer and are happy, then the hunger takes over and you want more. Future proof yourself and get a fox or netaudio ported.

http://www.foxacoustics.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DQC-110-V-D

Last edited:

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
mine came with the Factory Alpine system. I don't like that you lose the 60% side of the rear underseat box, but it's a nice clean install, and doesn't buzz like you're trying to avoid.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are a few companies that have single side ported boxes available in both 10 and 12 inch. If you are looking for a single sub to make up the bottom end Id say a single 12 ported will more than do the job, and get stupid if you wanted. Sometimes we get a subwoofer and are happy, then the hunger takes over and you want more. Future proof yourself and get a fox or netaudio ported.

the hunger will not take over trust me lol. i have 6,000 watt comp system in my closet right now that i had in my 85 monte carlo lol had systems my whole life pretty much, but always GIANT trunk systems or SUV's. not into that anymore. i just know from experience once i install my speakers/tweets and amp i will be all treble and zero bass lol. ive heard of this foxbox deal though so ill look into that, they are good quality boxes?

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the hunger will not take over trust me lol. i have 6,000 watt comp system in my closet right now that i had in my 85 monte carlo lol had systems my whole life pretty much, but always GIANT trunk systems or SUV's. not into that anymore. i just know from experience once i install my speakers/tweets and amp i will be all treble and zero bass lol. ive heard of this foxbox deal though so ill look into that, they are good quality boxes?

I was the same way, had more speakers than sense in my cars. I have/had both net audio and fox and both held up well to my punishment. I started with an SQ setup and well that went into a full out stadium of sound.

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was the same way, had more speakers than sense in my cars. I have/had both net audio and fox and both held up well to my punishment. I started with an SQ setup and well that went into a full out stadium of sound.

Thanks bro. just peeped that fox box and looks great!

Dirtyblackhoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have always had bigger systems as well and I keep trying to figure out what I want to do. I honestly think I am going to go with the single 12" ported from Fox Acoustics. I had their dual 10" box in my 2002 Ram and it was clean, clear, and a great amount of bass for what it is.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Id do a driver side box as it is smaller and leaves the larger side for storage. Only hard part is finding a sub to work in that small of a ported box.

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I'm not sure still about sealed or ported.... I want just a CLEAN punchy bass not a humming BRAAAAAAAAA lol thinking about using a type R sub as I have type R speakers and tweets and love em. Basically quality over quantity here haha as far as bass sound anyway

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With such a small box I can't imagine having it ported is even able to achieve the whole purpose of a ported box

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

alpinewil81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm running a fiberglass custom enclosure in my 1500 quad cab. It wasn't overly pricy to have done considering I did the rest of the install. Paid around $350 for the box.

With 2 Kicker Comp 10s and a 500.1 Class D Kicker amp, it sounds great with rock music. I run the subs in 180deg phase due to system design.

Rest of my cab is all JVC Drvn components mated to an in dash JVC DVD player.

I was just over $1,000 to build, install, and revamp the entire system. Granted the head unit was used, so savings there too. I'm glad I went a lil over my original limit. Sounds pretty good.

Sent from my ASUS_A002A using Tapatalk

Dirtyblackhoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
DODGE QUAD & CREW CAB 1-12" SEALED DRIVER SIDE

Im thinking this with a type R...... but i have zero experience with compact sub boxes so not sure about sealed or ported. anyone here had both?

I had the dual 10's box ported and listened to lots of rap and heavy metal. I was big into slipknot, nonpoint, avenged sevenfold...and I never once wished I went with the sealed box. I am going to go with the ported 12" box when I do it. I think you would be extremely happy with the ported 12" box, because I know I loved my ported 10's box.

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the dual 10's box ported and listened to lots of rap and heavy metal. I was big into slipknot, nonpoint, avenged sevenfold...and I never once wished I went with the sealed box. I am going to go with the ported 12" box when I do it. I think you would be extremely happy with the ported 12" box, because I know I loved my ported 10's box.

ok sounds good. Now im running into another problem lol. i saw on the fox box details it said in the list of common used subs for the box the type r sub is listed, the depth of the sub is good but from what im seeing the diameter is to large? am i reading this wrong?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500SWR12D4/Alpine-SWR-12D4.html

i have amps to power this no sweat but almost thinking its a little overboard lol?

JSVT3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a foxbox with a 10 and it does the job.

Dirtyblackhoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ok sounds good. Now im running into another problem lol. i saw on the fox box details it said in the list of common used subs for the box the type r sub is listed, the depth of the sub is good but from what im seeing the diameter is to large? am i reading this wrong?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500SWR12D4/Alpine-SWR-12D4.html

i have amps to power this no sweat but almost thinking its a little overboard lol?
What amp are you going to run? I plan on SA12 with a SAX1200.1 to run it...I also think it might be overboard...I just emailed them to make sure the SA12 will fit in the ported box and then try to sneak parts by the wife one by one

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What amp are you going to run? I plan on SA12 with a SAX1200.1 to run it...I also think it might be overboard...I just emailed them to make sure the SA12 will fit in the ported box and then try to sneak parts by the wife one by one

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

LOL.
well i have 2 amps i can choose from but i think ill use my ASA1000.1dx 2000 watt peak (1,000 true) thats literally brand new. i also have a older 1500 MTX thunder (not sure the model) that ive definitely used lol but taken care of for the most part

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I have a 10” kicker in mine. It’s just in a ported truck box, looking to put in a small box under the seat. If you can’t get a 12” to fit very well, I think 10” is plenty for inside a truck cab