Best Year[s] To Buy Pre-Facelift 3rd gens?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Just wondering what the best years for pre-facelifted [so, 02-05] 3rd gens were. I know than many with 02's and 03's do an "05 PCM swap" but I also know that the 04's have the good steering wheel like the 05's, and, as far as I know, coil sprung front suspension, which wasn't present on the 02's and 03's [at least on the 4x4's, from what I've seen of others' threads]

At the same time, I've been told the 05's sit higher in the front than the others, but have no word on this in regards to the 04's. Also, was the PCM/TCM upgraded in the 04's, or was that in 05[hence reading specifically of it as an "05 PCM swap" instead of "04+ PCM swap"]

Reasons I ask are a mix of pure curiosity and thirst for knowledge, as well as wanting to be prepared and know what I'm getting when I trade my QC for an SC. I don't want the ugly steering wheel or torsion bar front sus, so I know I'm getting at least something in the 04-08 range, but if the PCM upgrade, or anything else that needed upgrading wasn't done until 05, then obviously, I don't wanna screw myself by getting an 04.

Anyway, talk away. The thread is yours.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
In 2004, they switched from the separate tcm and pcm(02-03) to an all in one unit. 04 still seem to have some limited tuning abilities, I think the trans tuning is very spotty. I have seen some comments that you can straight up swap in a 2005 computer and walk away. Haven’t really seen anyone do it. 2006+ you have to start dealing with MDS so as a performance standpoint the 05 seems to be the Golden year.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
04-05 hemi

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
In 2004, they switched from the separate tcm and pcm(02-03) to an all in one unit. 04 still seem to have some limited tuning abilities, I think the trans tuning is very spotty. I have seen some comments that you can straight up swap in a 2005 computer and walk away. Haven’t really seen anyone do it. 2006+ you have to start dealing with MDS so as a performance standpoint the 05 seems to be the Golden year.

But, if you're like me with the idea to swap in a complete crate 6.4 and go from there, what does MDS or the PCM matter? At that point, you'd go with the one that has the desired suspension, interior, and exterior, right?

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
If you’re swapping a crate motor that’s one thing. And the pcm will matter unless you go standalone. If you want to build a motor the MDS is easy enough to eliminate it, just adding new lifters and block plugs. Then it’s just your own personal opinion and budget about what year to grab up

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
As mentioned 05 is the one to buy, with the 04 as a close 2nd for reasond stated.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Also the 03 used a single catalytic converter and the 04+ two. But when using LT and ORY it doesn't matter. If using a stand alone ecm, the 03 might be easier to run in the back ground being less sophisticated than the 04+ pcm's. Keep in mind you still have the truck's alternator, AC, Heater, Dash, Anti-Lok Brakes and lighting that needs to be controlled. Many of the popular trans have stand alone controllers available. It's all about what you want..

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Also the 03 used a single catalytic converter and the 04+ two. But when using LT and ORY it doesn't matter. If using a stand alone ecm, the 03 might be easier to run in the back ground being less sophisticated than the 04+ pcm's. Keep in mind you still have the truck's alternator, AC, Heater, Dash, Anti-Lok Brakes and lighting that needs to be controlled. Many of the popular trans have stand alone controllers available. It's all about what you want..

Okay. Thank you. I've fully decided on my desire for a 4th gen, though, and that will be my new goal. A 2010 Hemi SCRB sport or R/T by 2020. It's ironic because I'll be getting a truck that's exactly 5 years newer, and it'll be just as old as when my dad got THIS truck in 2015.

Which also satisfies my OCD. Question. Are there standalone engine controllers that can hook up to all of those things, or would you get a separate 'accessory controller' too? Oh, and if the TCM and ECM are separate, how does the transmission decide when to shift for economy and such -or really at all- other than just a set input RPM or rotation speed of itself or by electronic manual shifting via paddles or a lever?[or manual mechanical shifting via a ratcheter?]

cliftonclendenen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Whatever you do DONT buy a 4.7L i have that in my truck and I regret not investing in a HEMI....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Whatever you do DONT buy a 4.7L i have that in my truck and I regret not investing in a HEMI....

Indeed. I'm going for a 4th gen, though.

Pretty much got my answer by now, haha.

HEYYY, if you want, I can consider you [or anyone on the forum, really] as a buyer for my 05 Hemi QC when I'm ready to sell it. It's a 2wd, though, so IDK if that makes a difference.

cliftonclendenen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Indeed. I'm going for a 4th gen, though.

Pretty much got my answer by now, haha.

HEYYY, if you want, I can consider you [or anyone on the forum, really] as a buyer for my 05 Hemi QC when I'm ready to sell it. It's a 2wd, though, so IDK if that makes a difference.
I would but I dont need another project in my driveway haha. If you were parting it out id buy the motor but thats it lol

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
I would but I dont need another project in my driveway haha. If you were parting it out id buy the motor but thats it lol

Don't you mean you'd buy the motor, trans, and all the harnesses and electronics so it's just a direct swap in? :angels25::anitoof: