Better mileage with higher octane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi

Attachments

• tmp_3637-images(15)889437571.jpg
    tmp_3637-images(15)889437571.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, well you shouldn't need gas for a 3013 ram, it should fly!

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

LOL [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joneseysr6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Thanks for the info. Do you run the recommend 89 or 87?

elevation actually has something to do with it too. being im virtually at sea level......i run the 89. When i swithced to 87 early on, i could tell the engine was not quite the same.

The higher your elevation the more you can get away from the higher recommend octane.......but you need to be a good 1000 feet above sea level to start to offset using a lower octane. Look at higher mountain areas that sell 85 octane. I beleive that happenes anywhere above 3500 feet.

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
elevation actually has something to do with it too. being im virtually at sea level......i run the 89. When i swithced to 87 early on, i could tell the engine was not quite the same.

The higher your elevation the more you can get away from the higher recommend octane.......but you need to be a good 1000 feet above sea level to start to offset using a lower octane. Look at higher mountain areas that sell 85 octane. I beleive that happenes anywhere above 3500 feet.

Interesting, I had no idea elevation affected octane type. Thanks for the info.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi

I believe that's opposite. Higher octane fuel has lower evap pressure. At higher altitude you need higher octane. Aviation fuel is often 104 octane.....

joneseysr6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I believe that's opposite. Higher octane fuel has lower evap pressure. At higher altitude you need higher octane. Aviation fuel is often 104 octane.....

its not the opposite, I've read up on this extensively, the higher you are, the lower the necessary octane.

just google "lower octane higher elevation", thinner air helps prevent detonation ( knock )

Last edited:

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
its not the opposite, I've read up on this extensively, the higher you are, the lower the necessary octane.

just google "lower octane higher elevation", thinner air helps prevent detonation ( knock )

That's one school of thought. Starting at a lower atmospheric pressure multiplied by the same compression ratio should yield less heat from compression and reduce pre-ignition.

Lower atmospheric pressure also causes more vaporization(the gas fills the void in density from fewer air molecules/volume) which increases pre-ignition. We want the fuel atomized, not vaporized.

The question then is which has the larger affect? I believe it's closer to a wash than either end of the spectrum but there's no arguing the fact that it's easier to hurt your engine with octane ratings too low than too high.

mitey22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so I heard someone mention break in. I have 700 miles on my 2017 at what point should I assume break in is done. my first 2 tanks only yielded about 12-13 mpg while my third seems to have went up a bit to about 14-15 mpg

WhiteMamba

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I currently run the HemiFever tune with only Shell's V-Power 93 Octane. I had noticed before the tune when I switched over to the 93 from 87 for a few tanks so that I could run the tune, I got about 1mpg better but overall the acceleration and engine sound was better. I believe it's more mental than anything but I'm sure if you threw the thing on the dyno it would have a slight increase in power and efficiency.