Bhaf

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I know Mopar1973man has a BHAF and i was wondering how hard it was to put one in. i looked on the other forums and there was guys talking about it was a big hassel... i dont see how installing one could be that big of a deal. i was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with them and if there is any noticeable power increase or throttle response...

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
I know Mopar1973man has a BHAF and i was wondering how hard it was to put one in. i looked on the other forums and there was guys talking about it was a big hassel... i dont see how installing one could be that big of a deal. i was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with them and if there is any noticeable power increase or throttle response...

None... As long as what ever filter you using is not restrictive it will not change performance at all. The filter minder is a measurement gauge of intake vacuum measured in water column not inches of mercury so it takes very little vacuum to pull the disk down...

[yt]k2jd7XsYrKI[/yt]

BHAF and Filter minder - YouTube

As for the filter a BHAF is going to serve you well for many many miles as long as you re-install the filter minder back into the head of the BHAF. This way you not changing filters just because it appears dirty. Like my last filter lasted 7 years and 130K miles of Idaho dirt roads. But my turbo is still very clean...

BHAF is capable of handling engines up to 500-600 HP easy.

As for installing a BHAF... Simple just slip the neck into the intake tube and clamp it down snug. Don't overtighten!

As for getting more out of it.

Build a heat shield.
http://articles.mopar1973man.com/images/2ndgen24v/bhaf/BHAF_Template.doc

When mounting the heatshield use backing nuts below the plate to lift it up and make the top nuts flush with the stud.

Use a bungee cord to tie down the filter keep it from bouncing around.

Use a piece of 4" exhaust pipe in the neck of the BHAF to beef up the plastic neck to support more clamping force.

Drill a hole in the end of the filter and install the filter minder.

filter-minder.jpg

dripley

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 2500 ho 6 speed 4X4
Engine
5.9 24v cummins
i have oe in mine. i removed the oe filter box and installed the bhaf in its place. still need to do something with the old bolts. i temporarily got the bolt covered that hits the bhaf but need to do something diffearant in the future. i do not run a heat sheild and have not noticed any differance in operating temps of the engine. ther is probably a differance in iat temps but have no way to measure them myself. egts and coolant temps do not appear tohave changed. i got no performance changes either, was not looking for any. the engine breaths well and i have long lasting dry filter. i ran k&n for along time and it has deposited some oil in my turbo and intake mnifold. iw ould assume ther is some in my intercooler also. could be from me over oiling.

OP
OP
Montgomery Farms
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Thank you guys for the advice. i have been thinking about doin this for quite a while now since its decently cheap lol i will eventually i will be upping my power just a little bit so i was looking for something that could handle it. how much are these and does anyone know of the part#? Thanks again!!!

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
Thank you guys for the advice. i have been thinking about doin this for quite a while now since its decently cheap lol i will eventually i will be upping my power just a little bit so i was looking for something that could handle it. how much are these and does anyone know of the part#? Thanks again!!!

Here is my full write up for ya...
Mopar1973Man's Dodge Cummins Articles - BHAF (Big Honkin' Air Filter)

About midway down the page is the part number listing.

OP
OP
Montgomery Farms
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Thanks moparman. this is helpful. ill be sure to do this when i get 50 extra bucks!

OP
OP
Montgomery Farms
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I figured it would be vulcan. i have seen them before there. i might just head into o'reillys and get it there. if its not 90 bucks, that is!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lasse452