Bilstein 5100 install question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sladerade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have these wonderful shocks and struts. My question is how hard are these to install? If anyone on the forums are in the houston area where would be a good place to take to get them installed without having to pay an arm and a leg to get it done?

I've read and seen how to install them via. google. I know I need a spring compressor as well. But when it comes to working on my truck I do not have the skill to get them installed myself. I'm more of the IT person instead of the mechanic. Any advice would help thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0438.jpg
    IMG_0438.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 43

4x4Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The coil compressor to get the shocks in can be a little tough/dangerous. When i put my bilsteins in and used the coil compressor it was sketchy as ever haha i was scared it was gonna pop apart, and they can do damage! but you can take out your coilover, bring it somewhere and have them put the shock in no problem, then put it all back together.

Its all pretty simple stuff it just takes a little time, its just i believe 4 bolts up front and then a few in the back, but they both have some problems, like getting the coil back in after you put the new shock in, and the back the upper shock mounts are very tough to get to!

its doable for sure! I did mine myself because locally they wanted $500 to install, depends how much you want to spend to not have to deal with a few problems

OP
OP
Sladerade

Sladerade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That is a good idea, take out the shock and have somebody put the new one in then bolt it back up. I'm not sure what shops around here would charge for something like that though.

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Good luck with your change over!

I have a 2007 and a friend and I were able to do the back shocks with no problems. When it came to the front struts, almost destroyed a couple bolts from just trying to loosen them.

Took it to a garage down the street and for $200, they changed out the front two struts on my truck. It took a combination of heat, air pressure and muscle to break the bolts free and get it done.

I also had put on PB Blaster for two days prior to even trying the swap of struts and shocks.

mattman_13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
For the rear shocks its as simple at 4 bolts. The upper bolts are hard to get to but take a cheap 21mm wrench and cut it. Leave about 4" on the boxed end. Use that on the inside of the frame for the upper shock bolt. Takes 30 minutes max. For the spring compressor I used one I found on amazon for 40.00 bucks. Did the trick and if I ever wanna adjust them I have the knowledge on how to do it.
Just my opinion. Its all straight forward if you understand anything at all about vehicles. Plus there are YouTube videos galore.

4x4Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^ good info right there.

or if you have a bunch of extensions you can take off the upper bolt above the gas tank.

To get your bilsteins put into your coilovers it shouldnt cost more then 50 or 60 bucks id think

OP
OP
Sladerade

Sladerade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thank you guys for all the information! I kinda understood what you guys said. I'm pretty sure if I show my neighbor (fixes cars for a living) he can read what you posted and completely understand it. I will post back when everything all done. It will at least be a week or so. Have to get the bumper fixed this week where it was hit in the corner. Then after 295/65 nitto trail grapplers!

OP
OP
Sladerade

Sladerade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Update: the rear shocks are in. but then the dealership could not get the bolt that holds the front shocks to break loose. because I bought the truck in Kentucky and all the road salt the bolt is most likely rusted into the control arm. they said that both control arms have to be replaced in order to get the new shocks in. So now I'm back to saving money. they quoted $1900 for everything. I am open to any advise on what I could do to save in cost.

smiley87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Go somewhere else. Dealerships are called stealerships for a reason

Find a local auto shop and ask them to do it

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
^^^ what he said, my truck was from around the Albany NY area so can only imagine the amount of salt my truck saw.
Not to mention the winter I had my truck in the snow and salt.
Any local and descent garage should be able to break the bolts off, worse case is to drill the bolts out. Should be cheaper then new arms.

OP
OP
Sladerade

Sladerade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
im going to call around tomorrow, its the bolt that screws in through the bushing that is rusted and corroded.

Koko

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Squirt with penetrating fluid over the course of a few days. Then heat with mapp gas and it will break loose.

Diminus

Reaction score
Labrador City, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i put a level on my girlfriends 2007 avalance, trust me you wanna see corosion come to the island of newfoundland, i sprayed penetrating oil every evening on it for a week strait befor it finally took effect lol, you got this buddy, dont pay 1900 because some stealership mechanic dont know what it means to lube **** up lol, pardon the launguage im sure another garage can get the job done which will save you money to put your $1900 towards other goodies for your truck :Big Laugh:

OP
OP
Sladerade

Sladerade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thank you guys for the advise! I will for sure keep on putting penetrating oil on it till it breaks loose then take somewhere else. this texas heat plus humidity i would id imagine that it will break free

ncgatorram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
3.0L ECO-Diesel
I took mine to a local Firestone car care center and had them installed in 2 hours ... all in with lifetime alignment was $480 roughly the same as the local truck specialty shop who was supposed to do it but didn't record my appointment with them. I showed up and they said what appointment ... go figure.

Good luck with getting that bolt to break loose.

OP
OP
Sladerade

Sladerade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Update: Everything is installed and leveled! damage done $600 range. The bolt was like nothing that anyone here has seen down here. It took a lot lubricating oil and heating it up and ball joint presser. Not sure what that is or does. But it was worth it. The off road shop here in webster tx did an awesome job and I like it! with out further adieu here are the pics!

setting is set to 2.1.

i-fTzNkpr-L.jpg

i-WXGBk6z-L.jpg

i-5GfT8T3-L.jpg