Black plastic lower portion of front bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huff2462

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So there I was... pulling into a parking spot at my dentist's office. After taking a quick look around the lot and noticing it was pretty tight, I decided I'd better pull as far forward as possible to keep my bed from sticking out too far. As I pull forward (enough to let my front tires touch the curb) I hear it... the dreaded "scrape" of the lower plastic (rubber?) portion against the curb...

It's my only complaint about my beloved RAM! I know I could've backed in... and I know I can lift it (I'll be adding bilsteins next year after my wedding) but it's a frikkin truck! You're telling me I don't have enough ground clearance to pull all the way into a parking space?!?!

My question is... Are there any kits out there to replace the lower fascia? Is anyone removing the little black peace altogether? Has anyone tried trimming it?

I don't want to replace the entire bumper... but I have to imagine this will impact me when the snow comes (or the next time I go to my dentist)

Thanks in advance!

-
'13 RAM 1500 Big Horn, 5.7L Hemi, 8-sp trans, 4x4, 3.21 gears

JimsRamTruck2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As far as I know there isn't. But what you have planned should solve the problem. I always try to back into spots. It's just easier.

kenwitter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's called an air dam. And it annoys the **** out of me too. I screwed it up on the 2010 2 days after I got it. Been wary of it since then.

It's only ****** purpose is aerodynamics.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

argray90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it's what I'm thinking of mine is sitting in my garage not going back on my truck.

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have seen them removed and trimmed to accommodate bigger tires. I just leveled my truck out because I can't stand the ground clearance issues. Can't even change the oil in a pickup without jacking it up is insane. I will probably leave mine though as more lift is in the future along with bigger tires. Take it off and see how you feel about it.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I removed it on my '07 and always thought it gave the front end a buck-toothed look, but I then installed a urethane bumper cover and it looked better but still had the same clearance. My gripe is that the bottom of the bumper isn't the same height as the rocker panels.

I scrape mine regularly now that I'm lowered, so I've had to start backing into every stall now.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Aerodynamics are a cruel mistress.

I never scraped the '11. But I had prior driven a Mustang GT, so I was used to stopping 2 miles back from the curb.

My 2500 sits plenty high. :-D

faitdushred

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was at my buddies last weekend washing our rams and we had a discussion about this black plastic piece at bottom of bumper. We thought about removing it but we both didn't have the **** to do so. Does it make that big of a difference if it is removed? Im leveled with large tires so clearence for parking isnt an issue its more of an aesthetics look to me. I think it would look better removed. What are your opinions on just ripping the damn thing off I cant see it screwing to much with MPS or in my case L per 100 km.

Tuffguy707

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I was at my buddies last weekend washing our rams and we had a discussion about this black plastic piece at bottom of bumper. We thought about removing it but we both didn't have the **** to do so. Does it make that big of a difference if it is removed? Im leveled with large tires so clearence for parking isnt an issue its more of an aesthetics look to me. I think it would look better removed. What are your opinions on just ripping the damn thing off I cant see it screwing to much with MPS or in my case L per 100 km.

actually as hard as it is to believe it does improve fuel milage. i can't find the thread on another forum where they did tests on it but on certain trucks its shown 1mpg differences.

Cowboy345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
dose anyone know if the 2wd one is "shorter" then the ones on the 4wd trucks?

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
it also helps with cooling, as it directs air around the truck instead of under it, thus lowering the air pressure under the truck to help air flow thru the radiator and engine compartment.

derek_m

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How tall were the curbs? My 2wd when 2" drop in front would still clear most curbs without scraping...

Surprised you guys are complaining about these trucks being tall. They sit taller then 4x4 GM's....

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
I drug this piece off my Chevy Silverado 1 week after I bought it brand new. Lol. I use a 4X4 truck for its purpose. Lol. Off road and hauling. Lol. When I ripped the rest of it off after going thru a big mud hole. Lol. I ever notices any fuel economy change.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II...

OP
OP
huff2462

huff2462

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check this out... I saw this on a different forum. Looks like the guy trimmed his down to 2 inches. Might be a decent idea for a weekend project...
uploadfromtaptalk1385608943947.jpguploadfromtaptalk1385608958936.jpguploadfromtaptalk1385608970629.jpguploadfromtaptalk1385608980495.jpg

-
'13 RAM 1500 Big Horn, 5.7L Hemi, 8-sp trans, 4x4, 3.21 gears