Blower motor squeak

Discussion in 'Interior' started by tcazes, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Broyd

Broyd Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Would it be possible for you to include two photos of your original blower? I would like to see the bottom (outside) of the assembly and also from the top at about a 60 degree angle up from the mounting plate. It might help me suggest a way of getting into it. TIA!

2. smiley

smiley Super Moderator Staff Member

Ram Year:
    2009 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew 4WD
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7L

I will asap.

3. 00R/T

00R/T Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 HEMI
    Mine is doing it now in the cold too. My 08 Grand Cherokee did it too. Same sound, same conditions. I never bothered fixing that one but I think I'll do something about it in the truck.

4. WilliamS

WilliamS Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    now that I know how easy it is, time to pull that hidden squirrel out and lube it up!

5. smiley

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7L

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. Broyd

Broyd Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Thanks smiley3303 for those pictures. Great job! Questions: 1. What does that philips screw hold on the bottom picture? If you remove it, does any part of that connector come completely off? If it does come off, do you see motor attachment points under there?
    2. The exposed motor shaft in the two photos of the blower cage appear reddish in color. What is causing the red color? Is it rust or some sort of locking cement? It does look like rust to me but it is hard to say 100%.

In order to get at the motor, you will either have to remove the motor from the base OR remove the blower cage from the shaft by pulling the cage off the shaft. It might be possible to make a small puller that could do that, maybe similar to a battery post puller.

I see that the end of the shaft has a 45° taper. This suggests that during assembly, some part(s) of the cage are expanded when being pushed onto the shaft. This might make disassembly more difficult. Something to keep in mind.

The black tabs on the top black piece at the end of the shaft interlock with the white blower cage; perhaps these tabs are the key to getting the cage off the shaft. If these tabs are gently pried up, would that allow the black cap to come off the shaft thus allowing the blower cage to be removed?

These are the things I'd try.

So now we are down to doing some experimenting. What you have there is a squeaky blower motor that you would probably throw out - so if you ruin it trying to get it apart, it is not too much of a loss. What do you think?

smiley likes this.
  7. Casper

Casper Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L
    Just don't pump grease into a sealed bearing race.

The result would be, how shall I say this? BAD!

8. Broyd

Broyd Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I doubt that these types of motors use a sealed ball bearing. If they did they probably wouldn't have the squeak problem.

9. smiley

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7L

1. Not sure what the screw does but I believe it allows access to the actual motor not sure about access to the shaft.

2. Yes that is rust on the end of the shaft I guess humidity or even just sweat from when ac is cold and the ambient temp is hot. Maybe even the reverse in winter.

I intend to see if repair is possible but have yet to bother. I ordered my replacement from a salvage yard. It was broken ok shipping. I ended up getting my money back but was able to JB weld the tabs that broke off to be able to salvage the salvage. I am out zero dollars either way!

10. Broyd

Broyd Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    If anyone tries to disassemble the blower motor unit, please post what you find. I'm sure that there are a few members here that would really like to know how to go about it. My former truck, a 2011 Laramie was just starting to squeak when it got cold, but I traded up.