Bought super cheap air horns for my detroit driving.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I have a problem just about every man wants. It was bigger than I thought. I bought these Vixen air horns but didn't quite grasp the scale from their picture, now that they are here, well i'm just stumped.
I'd like to keep them as they look and sound nice, but I just cant think of a place to put it all.

I can get the horns to fit where the second battery in a diesel would go, barely. Then there is the compressor and tank, thankfully they are separate. The compressor is going in my toolbox in back, I don't really want to leave it exposed to the elements, and its not going to impact operation much. The tank however is a problem, the tank is just about as long as the horns, just a bit less in diameter, I really should have taken a picture of it, but I wasnt thinking. I'd like to keep that as close to the horns as possible to keep line loss to a minimum.

I'm looking for ideas, thanks in advance.

(I promise i'm not one of those douches with it. But I just ripped another guys bumper off two months ago because he decided to fly over into my lane before he was even clear of my driver tire.

Attachments

• C360_2016-09-13-15-30-10-209.jpg
    C360_2016-09-13-15-30-10-209.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 71

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
The horns and tank are weather proof. Mount them under the truck. The tank can be mounted to the frame. The air lines won't inhibit air flow enough to notice so length of the lines doesn't matter. If your concerned just upgrade the lines from 1/4" to 3/8" or 3/8" to 1/2".
Think of air on a truck and trailer. 100's of feet of line. Air tanks are frame mounted, horns on roof. 20' or more line running them. 60' or more just from the brake pedal to the back of the trailer plus all the other things using air. More if two 53' trailers are pulled, or three trailers as we do up here. Sure there is a second before the last trailer brakes apply after the pedal is pressed, but whats a second over a 100-150+ feet. And that's 1/2" line.

Mounting the horns under the truck aimed at the ground will enhance the sound as it will bounce off the road. Point them out a bit on the passenger side and scare the bejesus out of anybody over there. Put the behind your front bumper angled forward and watch the people in front of you crap themselves. Do not put them under the cab on your side unless you like crapping yourself. Lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
The horns and tank are weather proof. Mount them under the truck. The tank can be mounted to the frame. The air lines won't inhibit air flow enough to notice so length of the lines doesn't matter. If your concerned just upgrade the lines from 1/4" to 3/8" or 3/8" to 1/2".
Think of air on a truck and trailer. 100's of feet of line. Air tanks are frame mounted, horns on roof. 20' or more line running them. 60' or more just from the brake pedal to the back of the trailer plus all the other things using air. More if two 53' trailers are pulled, or three trailers as we do up here. Sure there is a second before the last trailer brakes apply after the pedal is pressed, but whats a second over a 100-150+ feet. And that's 1/2" line.

Mounting the horns under the truck aimed at the ground will enhance the sound as it will bounce off the road. Point them out a bit on the passenger side and scare the bejesus out of anybody over there. Put the behind your front bumper angled forward and watch the people in front of you crap themselves. Do not put them under the cab on your side unless you like crapping yourself. Lol.

Good to know they are weather proof. I figured the tank was as it looks the same as the ones on the semis, just smaller. But the horns I never really thought about.

As for the air line, we always used 3/8th in line for connecting everything, except from the compressor which was braided 1/2. Or the glad hand lines if they were nice could be 1/2in (usually they were the 3/8in with a thick wall)

I like the frame mount idea, there's plenty of room under there.

Bouncing off the road also sounds like a good idea, now I just have to figure out how to make it fit.

These are not just regular truck horns, they are 200psi train horns. I might put them under the passenger seat for the ladies :roflsquared:

Last edited:

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
A friend ran a triple he bought on the roof of his 92 KW W900. Came off a 200 meter ship. Freakin huge. Ran 3/4" line through a ball valve, seperate air tank due to air needed. He'd get a good blast or three but have to wait for air to build up again. I could here him a mile behind him. Was fun when going past golf courses.
Swing, BLAAAAAAPPPPPP, and a miss. LMAO.
See many train horns mounted to steps under Petes, KW's etc.
I build trucks. We use much 1/4 to 3/4. Most commonly used is 1/4. Unless bigger is required. Like 3/8 for trailer emergency line and 1/2 for service line.
Glad hand lines are commonly 1/2 now that I think about it. But the lines to and from are 3/8 red and 1/2 blue.

Last edited:

Max78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I really need to get a set of these for when the people block a common intersection I always go through because they are just that more important than other people and cant be bothered to wait 10 seconds. . . .

How much did the system set you back?

tncruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7hemi
when driving in detoilet its important that your air horns ore of the correct caliber
grew up in Detroit,a product of Detroit high school
a once great city has been ruined by 40+ years of pandering leadership
brianj

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
when driving in detoilet its important that your air horns ore of the correct caliber
brianj

are you referring to Coleman Young or even the tub of goo errrrr I mean K :favorites13: Kilpatrick

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
brianj

are you referring to Coleman Young or even the tub of goo errrrr I mean K :crazy: Kilpatrick:favorites13: oops double post

OP
OP
D

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
I really need to get a set of these for when the people block a common intersection I always go through because they are just that more important than other people and cant be bothered to wait 10 seconds. . . .

How much did the system set you back?

You gotta look for the deals, I paid a little under half price for these. A guy on craigslist bought them for his ford, but then he sold it and got a small 4 banger. So he was getting rid of the band new horns. New I think these were 270ish. I paid 120.

Brand is kind of important, or I should say quality. I bought a $30 cheapie from harbor freight years ago for kicks, sounded like a clown horn and the plastic trumpets fell off after a month or two.

OP
OP
D

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
brianj

I loved detroit, I grew up right outside it, saw what it looked like in its prime. Well, what my imagination put together from what was left.

Its a shame. Sad to say Lansing is starting to look like it more and more every year now.

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
I have train horns on my flat bed and my lowered ram.

My flat bed horns are a 3 piece china set up with a 1.5gallon tank.

My lowered ram is a 2 piece setup with 15 and 18 inch horn and a 5 gallon air tank made by MPC.

I did a lot of research before buying the MPC kit. It still works after 9 months of being installed and can go for about 1 minute full blast before it needs to refill.

The china one I bought afterward actually for my miata, it works but is weak in the decibels and can only get a 15 second burst.

Compressor and tank size really is what I've found matters with the train horn kits.

OP
OP
D

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
I have train horns on my flat bed and my lowered ram.

My flat bed horns are a 3 piece china set up with a 1.5gallon tank.

My lowered ram is a 2 piece setup with 15 and 18 inch horn and a 5 gallon air tank made by MPC.

I did a lot of research before buying the MPC kit. It still works after 9 months of being installed and can go for about 1 minute full blast before it needs to refill.

The china one I bought afterward actually for my miata, it works but is weak in the decibels and can only get a 15 second burst.

Compressor and tank size really is what I've found matters with the train horn kits.

I got the 5gal tank, and a 100% duty cycle compressor for extra honking time. I still have room for another 5gal tank on the other frame rail.