Brake Controller

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by Kwhite, Aug 6, 2015.

1. PippinAin'tEasy

PippinAin'tEasy Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    If the module's the same in all the trucks how come my 1500 set to 7.5 heavy eletric will lock my trailer's wheels at 5 mph while you get shoved into cross traffic? Sounds like some shady shit going on in the bits and bytes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

2. BossHogg

BossHogg Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.7L Cummins
    Amen!

That is the question I'm trying to get answered, my 3500 is at the dealer now, should have it back with answers Monday.

I don't know if it is a faulty ITBM or a software calibration issues. I don't even know if all 2015s have the issue but I know I'm not the only one with this issue.

My biggest concern is they are going to tell me nothing is wrong and it is working as designed, the default babble when they don't know how to diagnose an issue.

I posted scope shots of the trailer brake line (in the cummins forum thread), one with a working ITBM and my 2015 tow vehicle, the scope shots clearly show my 2015 is only outputting 63% power to the trailer brakes.

Brake slider all the way pushed (100%), 100% output from ITBM 12.6 amps measured on the trailer brake wire.
    [​IMG]

Brake slider all the way pushed (100%), 63% output from ITBM 6.1 amps measured on the trailer brake wire.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  3. PippinAin'tEasy

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    Read down the thread over there and a few other places as well. This, unfortunately, appears to be a not-so-isolated incident. Hope you get to the bottom of it. Thanks for the great info.

4. dsent

dsent Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2012 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab Laramie
    Engine:
    6.7 cummins diesel
    Hello Guys,

When I purchased my 12 2500 it was my first vehicle ever with factory brake controller. I did not think it was as adjustable(tunable to my load) as my 10 year old tenosha that I moved between 4 different trucks I had. The price for the factory controller is not worth the money they charge for it in my opinion.

When I traded that 2500 for my 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee ECO Diesel, I purchased the Jeep with the tow package and was both surprised and pissed off for the price I had to pay for the tow package and it did not have factory brake controller.

I purchased a prodigy p3 controller and installed it in the Jeep and man I am so glad I did not have the factory controller!!!

Your problem seem to be compaitability problem,electrical and programming.

The P3 is the best controller I have ever used!!
    It is easily adjustable and tunable for trailer size and weight and it stores the settings for that trailer size, then when you switch trailer your settings are still there.
    I have 2 trailers I tow 10k 7'6"x16' dual brake axles, and 3k 5x8 single brakes,with the push of 1 button I can select my trailers setups and quickly tune for current load.

If I was in your shoes to prove the point and save yourself some aggrivation with stealership and RAMS shitting trouble shooting abilities I would buy a brake controller and make it so you could quickly plug it in to show aholes at dealership who have no idea about towing and controllers the problems is definitely the factory controller and associated interconnections and programming.

Then I would make them pay for the controller you purchased and some money for your time and be happy with P3 and tell them to stick the factory controller where the sun don't shine!!

Dealing with RAM was not a good experience for me, thank goodness I have good dealer.

I got rid of my 2500 because nothing but problems with O2 sensors and dpf all other EPA shit on the Diesel choking it. I purchased this truck because it was last year before DEF fluid. My truck in the shop 38 days in 12 months before I got out of it and into my Jeep ECO!

My jeep has not seen the shop since new 2yrs old and tows same loads I pulled with 2500 and gets better mileage!!

Good luck getting this problem sorted but I would not hold my breathe its an easy fix without several trips to the dealer and aggravation and stress.

Just my opinion and I am sure yours will vary! haha

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  5. Kwhite

Kwhite Member

Ram Year:
    2015 3500
    Engine:
    6.7 Cummins
    Just like pippin said my 14, 1500 brake mod worked fine would lock wheels also, i know its not the trailer brakes i pulled the emergency plug out and the brakes were locked, my new question is how do i get to the wiring on the controller i have the center console.

6. loveracing1988

loveracing1988 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    You have to pull the center bezel for the radio to get to the harness that plugs into the back of it. Look it up on youtube, it is just two torqx bolts on the top and then it just pulls out. Make sure to catch all of the white clips that inevitably fall too.

7. Kwhite

Kwhite Member

Ram Year:
    2015 3500
    Engine:
    6.7 Cummins
    Ok thank you

8. Kwhite

Kwhite Member

Ram Year:
    2015 3500
    Engine:
    6.7 Cummins
    Ok i plugged in the camper to rear plug and did voltage test on fifth wheel plug in bed, with trailer brake at 100% and gain at 10 i got 9.15volts on light electric and 7.17 on heavy electric, lower voltage on heavy setting!

9. PippinAin'tEasy

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    Getting a little pissed at how common that story is. Feeling for you guys, can't imagine the frustration.

10. stoney

stoney Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2015 | 2500 SLT CC
    Engine:
    6.4L w/ 4:10
    Good timing seeing this thread.....I also find that my trailer brakes are not working as well as they should, has me now wondering if it is an issue with the factory controller.
    Will check the voltage I guess shortly and go from there.