Brake Controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I measured mine at 9.3v on light electric and 7.4 on heavy electric. With the same trailer, I have to use 6.5 gain where my father's 2012 3500 is set on 3.5. I called the both my local dealer and dealer I purchased from and neither had heard of this issue despite one being "the largest dodge dealer in the world"

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ok guys. Latest update: youre going to get a chuckle out of this. The dealer wants me to bring my 38' toy hauler there so they can perform the tests on the itbm. this is a seriously busy main road! But, i told them i would do it if thats what it takes. I can swing it in there and they agreed to move cars out of the way LOL! They agreed its serious, so....... This time I explained to them that i was only getting the 7 volts. There is a "case" that has been brought to their attention i guess. I have attached the copies they gave me. Hopefully you guys can see it. if not, let me know and ill figure something out. Boss, i think with your background, u might comprehend it a little better than me. I dont completely understand it, but let me know what u think. They said they have to do what ram tells them so.....

Oh, forgot to add the part # for the 15 itbm is 82214492
the 14 is 82213474

I asked if they could be replaced with the 14 part and they said no :(

Attachments

• IMAG0413.jpg
    IMAG0413.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 248
  • IMAG0415.jpg
    IMAG0415.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ok guys. Latest update: youre going to get a chuckle out of this. The dealer wants me to bring my 38' toy hauler there so they can perform the tests on the itbm. this is a seriously busy main road! But, i told them i would do it if thats what it takes. I can swing it in there and they agreed to move cars out of the way LOL! They agreed its serious, so....... This time I explained to them that i was only getting the 7 volts. There is a "case" that has been brought to their attention i guess. I have attached the copies they gave me. Hopefully you guys can see it. if not, let me know and ill figure something out. Boss, i think with your background, u might comprehend it a little better than me. I dont completely understand it, but let me know what u think. They said they have to do what ram tells them so.....

Oh, forgot to add the part # for the 15 itbm is 82214492
the 14 is 82213474

I asked if they could be replaced with the 14 part and they said no :(
So no real world test, just hook up to the trailer and do some measurements with the scan tool. If all that checks out it is good according to Chrysler.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I know.....Have to take the steps though like boss said. ill tell u what. Im glad the season is almost over. Now they have all winter to find a "fix". Im not buying another controller! Here are a couple links to pics of the 2 different ones. the one is for the 15 and the other is for 13-14 . Looks like the harnesses are the same? u can never go by what those clowns tell you. So if the harness from the 15 fits into the 14 itbm could the computer setup still be different? It has to be or they would have left the same part #, right?
If they give me some crap , ill show them the 7 volts and have them explain that. Better yet, take my truck out and smash into something and sue since all my visits are documented :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-2014-R...oller-Module-Mopar-82213474-OEM-/171874424808

http://www.1aauto.com/2015-ram-trailer-brake-control-module-mopar-82214492/i/mpecm00005

Last edited:

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So... with the ITBM having an accelerometer, do we know for a fact it isn't working as intended?

Last edited:

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
All I know is we all have different trailers and the only guys complaining are the ones with 2015 trucks. I just bought my rv this year actually so it had brakes inspected recently.

So... with the ITBM having an accelerometer, do we know for a fact it isn't working as intended?

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
CC Rider, thanks for posting the diagnostic steps. That is the first documentation I've seen on the ITBM outside of what is published in the owners' manual.

Loveracing is right, no real test outside of allowing what we know is broke, to diagnose itself.

We have to keep the dealers focused on the output duty cycle/voltage, that tells the story.

I have looked at the ITBM on the CAN bus, I can see 100% brake input signal and see 65% output brake signal, yet no DTCs were set. This smells like a calibration issue since the DTC would be triggered based on a threshold value, likely the same value that is used to scale the proportional brake output signal.

I'm still fighting Chrysler but can't find anyone that will listen. I submitted all my documents supporting my observations to the NTSB earlier this week. I'm sure that will take many moons before any action is taken if at all. I did keep focus on the safey aspects noting this is a condition that isn't known until too late.

Last edited:

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CC Rider, thanks for posting the diagnostic steps. That is the first documentation I've seen on the ITBM outside of what is published in the owners' manual.

Loveracing is right, no real test outside of allowing what we know is broke, to diagnose itself.

We have to keep the dealers focused on the output duty cycle/voltage, that tells the story.

I have looked at the ITBM on the CAN bus, I can see 100% brake input signal and see 65% output brake signal, yet no DTCs were set. This smells like a calibration issue since the DTC would be triggered based on a threshold value, likely the same value that is used to scale the proportional brake output signal.

I'm still fighting Chrysler but can't find anyone that will listen. I submitted all my documents supporting my observations to the NTSB earlier this week. I'm sure that will take many moons before any action is taken if at all. I did keep focus on the safey aspects noting this is a condition that isn't known until too late.

On the first page of the steps he posted it describes how the ITBM regulates pulse width using an accelerometer.

Is it possible that we don't see full voltage in a static situation because this accelerometer is not sensing a stop situation.

Could somebody test voltage during a stop situation to see if it increases during a stop event???

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It affects all trucks with the FACTORY brake controller part # 82214492 which is 2015's and possibly 2016's (if they havent changed the part#). This needs to be made a sticky/recalled before someone gets killed!

Is this isolated to 3500 trucks

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
"Trailer Brake Controller | Proportional Brake Controllers
When a driver press on the brake pedal, the accelerometer in a proportional brake controllers detects how fast the vehicle is stopping. It will then apply the relevant power to the trailer’s brakes, in direct proportion to how fast / slowly the towing vehicle is braking. This process enables the trailer to brake at the same rate as the vehicle that is towing it. So, if a driver has had to slam the brakes on in an emergency, a proportional controller will immediately send the preset maximum amount of power to the brakes on the trailer.

Generally, proportional trailer brake controllers provides the quickest and smoothest braking experience, and usually lead to the least amount of wear on the brakes of the trailer, and the towing vehicle. Proportional brake controllers are firstly “enabled” when the brake pedal is pressed, and then “activated” as soon as the accelerometer (or pendulum circuit in older models) detects the vehicle’s stopping motion. It will then provide the proportional level of voltage to the brakes on the trailer. When properly configured, braking efficiency as at it’s very best, as the the vehicle and trailer decelerate at the same speed. Here at Trailer Brake Controller, we believe proportional controllers to be the very best option for most people."

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I just checked my output voltage. 8.1 volts at 100% heavy electric.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I think the voltage is going to vary depending on the tester. Should be around 12 volts with manual slider set at 100% and gain at 10

I just checked my output voltage. 8.1 volts at 100% heavy electric.

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
But a meter shouldn't be off 4 volts. I can see a tenth or two. That was set at full gain.

Last edited:

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
My trailer braking has been dropping for some time. When I first got the truck, it would lock up the trailer brakes. Not anymore and I recently adjusted the shoes. It's the controller.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Your not understanding what I'm saying. Your not going to get the full 12 volts. That's the problem. That's what we should be getting. You have a 14 though, right? You shouldn't have the same problem

Last edited:

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
okay help me understand what voltage I should be getting at 10.0 gain, 100%,heavy electric.

Last edited:

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It must be coincidence. Cause your controller is a different part number. But if you're having the same issue that sucks. Should be 12 volts. Did u have the truck running?

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Truck was running, checked against pedal and slider...