Brake Lights went out, but the rest of the tails work fine.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Both went out yesterday for some reason, only the third brake light still works. The rest of the stuff in the tails works, though. Running light, reverse, blinkers, hazards. Just the actual braking activated lights are out.

Think it's just a matter of taking the bulbs out and greasing them like what happened with my front driver turn signal a few months ago? Or could the harness be bad or something?

Can hitting a large amount of water at speed cause this[it was raining yesterday]? Could it have cut/knocked something loose?

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I would start simple first. Check the fuse ! If you have a meter ohm out , or just change the fuse even if it looks good,
( Meters are cheap if you do not have one )
Also make sure the bulbs are tight in the socket and not corroded! Change the bulbs they are cheap,you never know!
Trace the tail light wires from the back to the front and check the connections,
Corrosion is a issue with any vehicle !
All I can think of ,FYI I am no gear head and hopeful the gear heads will chime in with better advice
Update what you find as you may help someone else :) Good luck

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Update: It's all fixed. A friend helped me and we figured out that both bulbs were completely blown. Like, exploded inside the taillight bucket blown.

Guess that'll teach me to hit long puddles at 45+

Unfortunately, it has alerted me to the fact that I might need buckets soon, as the drivers' side had the screwholes for the bulb bracket all broken, only two held on, and only one of those properly. And on the passenger side, the screws didn't want to go in smoothly, leading me to believe the may have been, or were being, partially cross-threaded.

Oh well. I was gonna upgrade to LED tails, anyway. Now I just need to find some with amber turn signals, black interior, and clear covers.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Update: It's all fixed. A friend helped me and we figured out that both bulbs were completely blown. Like, exploded inside the taillight bucket blown.

Guess that'll teach me to hit long puddles at 45+

Unfortunately, it has alerted me to the fact that I might need buckets soon, as the drivers' side had the screwholes for the bulb bracket all broken, only two held on, and only one of those properly. And on the passenger side, the screws didn't want to go in smoothly, leading me to believe the may have been, or were being, partially cross-threaded.

Oh well. I was gonna upgrade to LED tails, anyway. Now I just need to find some with amber turn signals, black interior, and clear covers.
WOW both bulbs blown :O Watch out for those puddles lol Glad it was a easy fix and Thanks for the update !

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Yee. I also noticed moisture on the inside where the reverse lights are today. Before I did the fix, that is, so I definitely think that some water jetted in and got on the hot bulbs, causing them to pop.