Brake line repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all, I was an hour away today, and my brake like came on. Fluid was low, put fluid in and looked around to find leak above rear pumkin. Had to repair it in Parking lot of Advanced Auto with brass compression fittings and a piece of line. While i was under the truck someone stopped by and gave advice saying that brass compression fittings would blow out and that I should use Steel ones.

What is your thought on this? I got home. line still seems dry and brake fluid hasn't gone down any more.

Are the Brass compression fittings safe to use?

Thank you,

Steve

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It doesn't matter the material a compression joint is made of, it's the manner in which the joint is held together. A compression fitting holds together by friction alone.
You'll want to replace that entire brake line or that section of brake line using double flare connections.

OP
OP
U
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It doesn't matter the material a compression joint is made of, it's the manner in which the joint is held together. A compression fitting holds together by friction alone.
You'll want to replace that entire brake line or that section of brake line using double flare connections.

Ok, good to know. Is this something that should be redone soon, or should I be alright til spring when I have some more money. I haven't ever done the double flare before. It doesn't look too bad, but I would have to do some of it under the truck or try and remove the brake line pieces first.

Thank you,

Steve

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It's something you should do a lot sooner than later. Braking pressures can exceed 1000psi, that can blow a compression joint apart.
Bulk brake line is cheap and most auto parts stores will loan you the tool to make the flares. The flares are easy enough to make, practice a couple of times and you'll get the hang of it