Brakes out on 2002 Ram 3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kbass6319

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I have a 2002 Ram 3500 with 5.9 Cummins and experiencing some brake issues that I'm not sure where to start. Recently, I was pulling a lowboy full of metal roofing and when I came to a stoplight and depressed the brake pedal it went straight to the floor. Thankfully no one was crossing because I blew straight through. I do have minimal brakes on rear so I was able to slowly make it home. The brake and ABS light came on immediately. Check fluid in reservoir and it was empty (was full prior). Once I refilled and press pedal, I figured I would see a leak, but none found. Not really sure where to start with diagnosing the problem so hoping someone here might lead me in the right direction. Before this happened, I had recently changed right front caliper/pads, but everything seemed to be working fine. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
That fluid is going somewhere, you need to find the leak to fix it. Have someone else press the pedal repeatedly while you search around because they usually leak under pressure. When you refilled the reservoir did the level continue to go down when you were pressing pedal and looking around? There’s no signs of fresh fluid sprayed anywhere? It has a hydro boost system correct?

It could be leaking in a spot where it’s pooling up and not dripping yet idk. Jm.02

Last edited:

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
If you can, park it in a garage with a clean floor overnight and see if you can spot leaks.

If the floor isn't clean get some of that brown paper roll from Home Depot and put that down.

If it is cold more the better.

14RAM1500BG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 06 ram 5.7 had a leak of the steel brake line up by the top of the fuel tank and I didn`t see it leaking until it completely let go. It rusted through from rubbing on the tank over time.

OP
OP
K

Kbass6319

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Thanks everyone! I hope to have a chance to look at it again the first of next week. I'll update then. Sincerely appreciate it!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963