Brand new 2018 Ram 2500 with rust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trucksnguns

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sup dudes, I just picked up my new 2018 Ram Power Wagon, and here are pictures of some rust on parts of the brakes. I understand rust on brake rotors is completely normal, but what about these parts? And on a brand new truck???

The driver's side brake has glossy black paint that covers those exact same parts, and thus preventing any rust. That glossy paint also does not match up with the black paint of the rest of that brake part, so it was definitely painted on there separately from the original paint.

The other three brakes have that same rust in the exact same areas of the brakes.

Is this laziness at the factory normal? I already sprayed some Fluid Film aerosol on it for now because it was ******* me off.

Half of me wants to just spray Fluid Film everywhere and call it a day, and the other half wants to raise a stink. What do you guys think?
20180222_170603.jpg 20180222_170605.jpg 20180222_120750.jpg

OP
OP
T

trucksnguns

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sup dudes, I posted this in the Heavy Duty thread but wanted to hit you guys up as well.

I just picked up my new 2018 Ram Power Wagon, and here are pictures of some rust on parts of the brakes. I understand rust on brake rotors is completely normal, but what about these parts? And on a brand new truck???

The driver's side brake has glossy black paint that covers those exact same parts, and thus preventing any rust. That glossy paint also does not match up with the black paint of the rest of that brake part, so it was definitely painted on there separately from the original paint.

The other three brakes have that same rust in the exact same areas of the brakes.

Is this laziness at the factory normal? I already sprayed some Fluid Film aerosol on it for now because it was ******* me off.

Half of me wants to just spray Fluid Film everywhere and call it a day, and the other half wants to raise a stink. What do you guys think?20180222_170603.jpg 20180222_170605.jpg 20180222_120750.jpg

Smokey Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2013, 2014
Engine
4.7 Magnum, 5.7 Hemi, 6.7 Cummins
its totally normal, When I picked up my 13' Sport brand new, I was already noticing slight surface rust on bolts and some pieces of metal that should've been covered.. if i was you id get a wire wheel on a grinder and get it to bare metal, clean it, prime it, paint it, and oil spray it (carefully, *brakes*). You can never be to safe... Nice truck man, welcome to the forum!

Last edited:

Bock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I think it's normal for there to be little surface rust on some parts of the truck. I have seen a lot worst. I like your truck I have a 2017 black PW. But I am missing your Ram Boxes, do you want to trade beds?
:dogpile:

Last edited:

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's normal, when I was looking for a new truck I saw some Fords, Chevys, and Rams that all had random surface rust underneath them.

OP
OP
T

trucksnguns

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
its totally normal, When I picked up my 13' Sport brand new, I was already noticing slight surface rust on bolts and some pieces of metal that should've been covered.. if i was you id get a wire wheel on a grinder and get it to bare metal, clean it, prime it, paint it, and oil spray it (carefully, *brakes*). You can never to safe... Nice truck man, welcome to the forum!

Yea I'll have to eventually do that, thanks!

It's normal, when I was looking for a new truck I saw some Fords, Chevys, and Rams that all had random surface rust underneath them.

Yea.. it's ridiculous

I think it's normal for there to be little surface rust on some parts of the truck. I have seen a lot worst. I like your truck I have a 2017 black PW. But I am missing your Ram Boxes, do you want to trade beds?
:dogpile:

:smoke2:

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
Frustrating, I would hit it with some fluid film and not worry about it thought. Sweet truck!

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Very nice!

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Are we all sure that is even rust? It just looks like raw cast iron. Every bit of cast iron I've ever seen starts out that color. Technically it may be rust but I'm thinking those parts might just be like that right from the start. In any case.... I agree it's normal and have seen that on new vehicles before.

And, yes.... NICE new ride :)

7091ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
70 and 91 and 99
Engine
383 and Cummins and 360
Sup dudes, I just picked up my new 2018 Ram Power Wagon, and here are pictures of some rust on parts of the brakes. I understand rust on brake rotors is completely normal, but what about these parts? And on a brand new truck???

Half of me wants to just spray Fluid Film everywhere and call it a day, and the other half wants to raise a stink. What do you guys think?
View attachment 121171 View attachment 121172 View attachment 121173
I haul new from the plant where they build the things. A lot of the parts come from outside vendors shipped in bulk in containers and coated with a rust preventative that they blast off so they can be sure to get proper torque on the bolts and they aren't all that worried about re-coating anything.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
The parts pictured will never cause you any problem save for how you feel looking at them. Not like a fender rusti g thru. I know there are lots of show trucks on here, but there's also a lot of guys like me that just bought a truck to use as a truck. Wash it 2 or 3 times a year, hit a deer and don't fix the dent (me), and just all in all beat the snot out of it. You can always spray those surface rusted parts with rust converter and then paint them. It's a truck.

Not 1st, 2nd or 3rd? No Trophy!

OP
OP
T

trucksnguns

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Are we all sure that is even rust? It just looks like raw cast iron. Every bit of cast iron I've ever seen starts out that color. Technically it may be rust but I'm thinking those parts might just be like that right from the start. In any case.... I agree it's normal and have seen that on new vehicles before.

And, yes.... NICE new ride :)

Yea definitely some surface rust. Thanks.

I haul new from the plant where they build the things. A lot of the parts come from outside vendors shipped in bulk in containers and coated with a rust preventative that they blast off so they can be sure to get proper torque on the bolts and they aren't all that worried about re-coating anything.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Ah I see, thanks for the info!

The parts pictured will never cause you any problem save for how you feel looking at them. Not like a fender rusti g thru. I know there are lots of show trucks on here, but there's also a lot of guys like me that just bought a truck to use as a truck. Wash it 2 or 3 times a year, hit a deer and don't fix the dent (me), and just all in all beat the snot out of it. You can always spray those surface rusted parts with rust converter and then paint them. It's a truck.

Not 1st, 2nd or 3rd? No Trophy!

Thanks for the info!

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Mine didn’t have that when new and still doesn’t. But what everyone said is right. It is normal and unfortunately kind of the luck of the draw. Some amounts of rust can happen even on brand new. Happens on ALL brands. I would start fluid filming the beast. Great looking PW.

3ngOemA.png

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Yeah it's normal. And yes, I get it... kind of ****** you off to spend 50,000+ on a vehicle & see that rust right away. As mentioned by another member, it is not just Dodge. For some weird reason, whenever I am looking at & test driving new vehicles I always look under the vehicle to check out the suspension & they all have a little rust here & there. I ordered my truck so it went directly from the factory to the dealer & didn't sit on a lot anywhere & had some rust on a few suspension parts. I like to get underneath there right away while the vehicle is new & clean to repaint & undercoat.
The sunny side of that truck looks GREAT! Glad they changed the graphics out from what they had a couple years ago.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
Just curious, are the power wagons assembled in Sautillo Mexico with the other 2500's ?
My AZ truck, was delivered in the summer,very dry here and in Mexico. Very little rust underneath, on my first inspection. I could imagine that travel on the rail cars through wet climates could rust raw iron surfaces pretty quick. Nothing to worry about IMO.